Anyone Know L.A.

Anyone from L.A? My 12 year old son and are going to Sydney for the World Martial Arts Games and will be transiting L.A. both going and coming, with something like a 24 hour layover. So we will be spending 1 night (both going and coming) in the city. I would like to know where to stay? Should I stay near the airport (LAX) and get a taxi, bus to wherever the sites are? Or is there another area, (Street, burb, buro, etc) away from the airport, that has things to do / see that you would suggest we stay in. Any and all opinions are appreciated.

While I’m asking anyone ever been to Sydney and have advice on what to do and what to avoid? I’ve been to Darwin, Australia before but not Sydney.

Thank

Mark

Been too long since I've been there, like 33 years, but make sure you get him to the beach there or Sydney.

I'd also stay REAL close to LAX. You get up the next morning, you don't want to be fighting traffic to get back to the airport in time to catch your flight.

It'd be a shame to pass through LA without eating at Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles.

Are you going to the WMA games as spectators or participants?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Is there really a "Roscoe's", because the name sounds like a joke, but one never knows.

My son Chris (12) is the youngest member of the U.S. Martial Arts team and will be representing the U.S. & competing in 4 events: Traditional Forms, Weapons, Extreme Musical Form & Sparing. I’ll be on the side lines trying to keep my blood pressure down and not grin like a complete idiot. This is the Olympics of the Martial Arts world. There will be over 1000 athletes from over 40 countries. http://www.worldmartialartsgames.com/ The games are Sept 12 & 13. We leave on Sept 3rd, so we’ll have a bit of vacation as well.

Mark,

Would you mind posting a clip of your son in action on You Tube when you get back? I'd love to see it.

It will be my pleasure; it does not take much to get me to brag on my son. Hopefully it will be a gold medal performance. I just bought a new video camera just for the occasion.

It'd be a shame to pass through LA without eating at Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles.

Are you going to the WMA games as spectators or participants?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Is there really a "Roscoe's", because the name sounds like a joke, but one never knows.

My son Chris (12) is the youngest member of the U.S. Martial Arts team and will be representing the U.S. & competing in 4 events: Traditional Forms, Weapons, Extreme Musical Form & Sparing. I’ll be on the side lines trying to keep my blood pressure down and not grin like a complete idiot. This is the Olympics of the Martial Arts world. There will be over 1000 athletes from over 40 countries. http://www.worldmartialartsgames.com/ The games are Sept 12 & 13. We leave on Sept 3rd, so we’ll have a bit of vacation as well.

So I have to ask . . . what's Extreme Musical Form?

I never joke about food. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe's_H ... nd_Waffles

(Though I've heard that it's gone all trendy. )

Sounds like a blast and a great experience for him. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

But seriously, the boy needs to be exposed to soul food.

- Jim Katen, Oregon