Inspectormobile

Jim Baird

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My 2000 Silverado has 185k on it and I've been thinking of a new ride lately. Since I won't shell out the $$$ for a H3, I've pretty much decided on 4 door Toyota Tacoma 4x4. That was, until I saw these. Now I'm drooling over these and can't wait to get out and see what they're like.

http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser/index.h ... N_FJ_INDEX

Anyone out there have one of these yet?

Oh boy! Same here Donald. I've seen a couple driving around the Seattle area already. Yes, they're pretty cool and they're suprisingly affordable.

I'm gonna hit a lot soon and found out if I can fit into one. I'm tall and have a very tall torso. Usually in all the foreign cars my head touches the ceiling and my field of vision is blocked by the sun visors.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Jim Baird

Tried calling Click and Clack, phone was busy, so thought I'd ask you guys.

Home inspector needs ride. Old pickup I drive just not professional enough in looks.

After several years' lean times, am building a solid rep for quality work. Now it's time for a quality ride.

I need comments/suggestions on good vehicle to look for.

Thanks.

I have been driving (long wheel base) Ford mini vans for years. Am now driving a 2003 Windstar LX long wheel base and it serves me well. Plenty of room and racks on top if needed. Magnetic signs on door. Had a 1995 Aerostar model until 3 years ago put 135,000 on it and still ran like new (good maintenance). Really liked it but a lady decided to run a stop sign, it was raining and I T boned her and both our vehicles were totaled. Of course at the time I was very concerned that the young lady was not hurt bad and thankfully she was not.

Paul B.

• 8 months later...

I drive 98 Toyota Tacoma xcab Prerunner 4 popper with a topper and ladder rack.

I keep my ladders,tool bag dry and clean this way.

I get 17-18mpg. which isn't great.

I have put on 130,000 miles with very little troubles.

It still looks great and rides just fine.

What else needs to be said but it was paid for even before I became an inspector.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by inspecthistoric

This weekend, I was out looking at a couple big cars from the '70s and got an idea.

In addition to the vintage fire truck with the 75' ladder, I'm going to get this:

http://tcinspect.com/images/hearse.JPG

Oh My God! - I think I tore something from laughing.

"The Deal Killer" - I want one. I know just the realtor whose inspection I need to pull up to in this thing...

And since your going to re-activate this thread.

My new ride as of six months ago. Put my 17 year old truck to bed before I had to pay for it to go to college. Got the Diesel and right now I'm saving about $150. a month on fuel over my old truck.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSCN1129a.jpg

352.83 KB

Originally posted by Kyle Kubs

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

Got the Diesel and right now I'm saving about $150. a month on fuel over my old truck.

I just stopped on my way back from Whidbey Island to get gas. $3.67.9 a friggin' gallon! Jeez!

Glad I don't have a big car.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Back in 77, the first time I was stationed in Korea, I used to marvel at some of the stuff that the Koreans would cart around on bicycles. It wasn't unusual to see a roofing guy going down the street with a 15 foot ladder locked onto a rack over the back tire and leaning way out in front of the bike and there'd be about 200lbs of clay roof tiles stacked up on a small pallet behind the seat. Those guys would be straining at the peddles and one couldn't help but wonder how they kept the things upright.

Those days are gone. Now everything over there is delivery trucks like here. Sometimes, though, you'll see an odd bike here or there, loaded up with furniture, or cases of soda stacked 15 ft. high, or...

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by randynavarro

Kyle, how are you saving that much?

Around here, Diesel is almost as much as Regular. A few months ago, it was actually quite a bit more.

Was the mileage on your old vehicle that bad?

Maybe Diesel is dirt cheap in your neck of the woods?

Well first, my old truck wouldn't run on anything less then Super & only got 11-12mpg. Right now diesel is about .10-.15 cents less then Regular here (land of refineries) and the new truck gets 17-18 mpg for just around town and some highway driving. 20-22 all highway.

Diesels get more mpg then gas engines and typically the price of diesel is cheaper. This past year or two has seen a swell in diesel prices due to refineries having to re-tool and start producing ULSD Ultra low Sulfer Diesel. Now that the trasition is over the price is finally starting to go back down.

• 3 weeks later...

Been working out of a Honda Element for two years now. Love it! Configurable seats allows me to throw my Little Giant in the back on one side if I want to keep the extra seating capacity. I run with both seats out and fill the other side with a case of paper, case of water, floor organizer with 4 compartments for code books and Code Checks and a dock box for misc. tools and crawl gear. I use a seatback organizer On the front of the passenger seat for my paperwork. TabletPC on the passenger floor in a backpack and laser printer in a gym bag on the seat. I have a boltless mounting system from RAM Mount for the tablet when I use it with my GPS puck on the dash. Nothing like using a 10 inch screen to see where you are.

The Element gets about 24 mpg, has lots of giddyup and turns on a dime. Nice to have that XM radio as well.

It's 2 years old and has 40K on the clock already. BTW, I'm 6' 3" and 250 lbs and it fits fine. Wish I could say the same about some crawls!

• 1 month later...

I have used two Ford Ranger extened cab trucks, a Chevy panel van and now a Saturn Vue.

The trucks and van were constantly broken into by all the illegal aliens stealing my tools at construction sites.

The Vue is more affordable than the van but is a little bit unstable with large ladders on the luggage rack.

The Chevy van had lots of room but was hard to manouver in traffic and when backing up. It also was a major gas hog and quicky became a real pain at the gas pump. My next car in a couple of years will be a Toyota Prius. It is the best hybred on the market.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am happy with my Ranger except for the head room. I've put over 80,000 miles on her in 2 years and already replaced the alternator. If I can get another 2 years and 100,000 out of her without too much repair I'll get another one with an extended cab. I get a solid 25 mpg and have only needed a full size pick-up once since I down sized.