Inspectormobile

Jim Baird

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2003 F-250 with a 7.3 liter powerstroke. I use this to pull my 28 foot Cougar fifth wheel to each inspection. I've found that setting this up out front as a mobile office has been a great advertising space. I hang out a banner with all my pertinent info and set a few chairs up under the awning. While I'm inside the clients future house working, people tend to gather at the RV. I've come out to find my coffe pot cooking and people lounging. Something about an RV makes people want to sit back and relax.

I'm not saying it will work for everyone but it works for me.

Buster

PS April fools!!

PSS what! I missed April fools by one lousy day! Dang story of my life a day late and a lotta dollars short.

PSSS The truck part was true and The trailer is mine and people do go into lounging mode when they sit around an RV. the rest is tall Texas tale.

• 4 months later...

I found this topic as I've been doing some research. I've decided it's time to downsize. I need to go back to 4wd and I've been pumping in $75.00 every third work day.

I'm considering a mid size suv. Any suggestions for one with reasonable mpg that can handle ladders?

I'll miss my office on wheels.

2005823183418_billsvan.jpg

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

I found this topic as I've been doing some research. I've decided it's time to downsize. I need to go back to 4wd and I've been pumping in $75.00 every third work day.

I'm considering a mid size suv. Any suggestions for one with reasonable mpg that can handle ladders?

My Honda CRV has been great. It has all wheel drive, not 4wd, but I haven't been able to bog it down yet, including hauling a utility trailer full of firewood around my 10 acres of hilly walnut orchard. The only drawback so far is that the interior is rather noisy.

You might also look at the Toyota RAV4 or the Subaru Forester.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

http://www.fl-sprinter.com/

I've never bought a new vehicle, but this is one that I'm seriously considering if I can't find one that's been crashed to fix.

They start around 26 thousand, have a 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel, veryshort turning radius, 1.2 ton load capacity, one of the best automatic transmissions ever made, get 28 mpg and they're pretty darn quick when you put your foot down.

I've driven three that were owned by my customers (they love them) and the interior noise is pretty good for an empty van, they ride nice even empty. The braking system looks a little light, but has proven durable and dependable.

A 24 foot extension ladder fits inside, I'm 6'1" and can stand inside, the rear doors open all the way around the body and latch on really strong magnets. Both bumpers have step holes for access to the roof for the 32 foot extension ladder.

Around 26 thousand for the mid length model, 23 thousand for a cab and chassis if you want a pick up instead of a van.

The sides are big and flat for rolling billboard signage.

Bill:

For me, it's people that I can't remember. Buildings I remember, especially when it's a nice old beauty like that. Unlike you, I see such buildings in fewer than 1 in 50 inspections. They tend to stick in my memory.

Another reason I recognized it is that the facade was quite memorable. What I had always thought was well preserved (I grew up in Easton andf spent many an afternoon at the Boyd Theater across the street) turned out to be painted coatings and parging covering the severely weathered stonework. I think my buyer walked because of it.

http://inspectorjoe.photosite.com/n

Chad:

I've been seeing more and more Sprinters around here. I toyed with the idea of getting one, but couldn't justify the price. I can't imagine that you could pick up a new one for anything close to $26,000 though, because I see used ones selling for more than that.

I didn't see that they had a 4WD version. It's almost a necessity here; I would think it would be more so for you.

Joe Hancaviz

Nazareth, PA

Hi Joe,

You can't buy one off the lot for 26 grand, but you can "build one" online and then take the spec sheet to the dealer and work him like a sore rib on price. That'd be for one with a radio and A/C only.

As far as four wheel drive... I have it now, but I managed to live the first 42 years of my life without 4wd, and I suspect that I could manage it again. I'll miss it, but I won't miss using 60 gallons of fuel each week.

My biggest needs are weight capacity (I have heavy hobbies) trailer tow capacity and fuel economy. I'm past the point of caring how I look going down the road and pure utility excites me.

Has anyone seen the new H3? It's about 4 inches lower, 6 inches narrower and about a foot shorter than the H1.

I still wouldn't buy one, but for you guys salivating after one of these, it might be a little more sensible than an H1 or H2. They claim 20mpg highway. I'm pretty skeptical about that. I think they must have tested it on a dyno with the cruise control set. Ain't no way a V8's gonna get that kind of economy under normal highway driving conditions with an organic behind the wheel.

Actually, I did check it out, but it only has a 3.5L 220 hp. Their ads need a catch phrase like: Hummer Lite or A Real Hummer's Little Brother. The popular mid size suvs with Japanese names all have 4.0L 270-275hp with the same mpg or better.

I'll look into Jim's suggestions. I'm just concerned about the distance of the cross bars on some of the smaller models. I don't want a 32" ladder acting like a see-saw.

Regarding Aerocell and Sprinter, I said I wanted to DOWNSIZE, not buy something you can fit an SUV into!

Well, I've looked at a lot of suv's this week and have done some research (4 previous clients own dealerships).

I'm considering a Chevy Trailblazer. I heard they had many electronic problems in the early models, but haven't seen anything horrible about recent ones. I have owned 2 Blazers early in my career.

Anyone know anything good or bad about these? I have an '05 on hold so I can have the weekend to think it over.

http://uploads/inspecthistoric/2005826122457_chevytb.JPG

Our friends have owned one for over a year and love it. She drives it about 100 miles round trip each day to work so the miles have racked up fast. I thought the ride was as comfortable as our Tahoe. She says that she averages anywhere from 19-21 on her mileage depending on how much she drives in the city.

Good Luck and keep us updated on your new ride..

• 5 months later...

OK Show off's. Here is my 2004 Element.

Best things I like are the decent gas mileage and all wheel drive for the (very) occasional snow.

Exterior unmarred by paint and decals.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMGP3243.JPG

58.64 KB

Back seat laptop

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMGP3240.JPG

57.15 KB

Storage / Tools

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMGP3241.JPG

66.21 KB

Slide out ladder rack

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMGP3242.JPG

66.85 KB

My Subaru Baja. It's the second one I've owned. The first was OK, but I have a heavy foot. When I had a chance to get the turbo with zero out of pocket and the same payment after owning the first one for two years, I jumped on it. The turbo's a kick. It'll easily out-accelerate and out-handle the Toyota Supra that I used to have.

Now I can park anywhere (even in those low-ceilinged inner-city parking garages), slip in and out of traffic easily, and go in style.

Love the hell out of it.

2006215175650_Baha2.jpg

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by homnspector

OK Show off's. Here is my 2004 Element.

Best things I like are the decent gas mileage and all wheel drive for the (very) occasional snow

I am diggin' the Element and seriously considering one.

What is the exact gas mileage? How much did it cost? (if you don't mind me asking). I'm tall (6'-2") and have troubles fitting in most vehicles. Are you tall or vertically challenged?

Wow Randy, small world. We love it here, been here about 25 years. Bought a small house on the river in 1983 for $55,000 and over the years turned it into a big house on the river.

If you are ready to buy, go test drive an Element. I say if you are ready to buy because you WILL be driving it home. The first vehicle I have had since my '63 MG midget that is fun to drive.