1940's kitchen of tomorrow

1946 home. When I walked into this kitchen my first thought was that there was an unusually large speaker mounted above the metal wall cabinets.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 100105S087x.jpg

90.7 KB

I soon realized that it was the refrigerator.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 100105S024x.jpg

92.22 KB

Still functioning, but I wouldn't want to try to find parts for it.

Oh...one more unique feature (sadly, I didn't get to view) was a large, maybe 3' across, round section of the rear basement wall that had been recently concreted in. Evidently, according to the realtor, this used to be an underground tube extending a long way into the back yard. There was a pulley system running from the basement to the other end to hold targets. An indoor, underground, shooting range!

Except for the pink, that's pretty cool.

"Another case of the marketplace erasing good ideas."

Mid century appliances are experiencing a resurgance in popularity and there are several companies that specialize in providing parts and repair or rebuild services, there's even clubs and virtual salvage yards to be found. Rachel Ray uses a circa 1940 Chambers C on 30 minute meals. I designed my new kitchen around an early 40's roper stove, 42" of cast iron, heavy gauge steel, porcelain and chrome, nearly 500LBs worth. I've seen several others featuring vintage appliances as well. Vintage appliances are cool, or were you talking about the shooting range?[;)]

Tom

1946 home. When I walked into this kitchen my first thought was that there was an unusually large speaker mounted above the metal wall cabinets.

So you were so enamored by it that you actually took a picture with the doors closed, and a picture with the doors open? Who on Earth would do such a thing? [;)]

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif R1.jpg

37.32 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif R2.jpg

40.16 KB

They are survivors from the golden age of manufacturing - before the concept of planned obsolescence was thought of.

I designed my new kitchen around an early 40's roper stove, 42" of cast iron, heavy gauge steel, porcelain and chrome, nearly 500LBs worth.

Check out this like-new behemoth Roper, with 8 burners, a griddle and 3 ovens. Coincidentally, it was in the same kitchen that had the wall mounted refrigerator:

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif q 162.jpg

47.79 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif q 160.jpg

153.66 KB

Also in that same otherwise modern kitchen was the oldest Kitchen Aid dishwasher that I've ever seen. The spray arms were made of cast metal.

Yeah, vintage is in.

When I bought my last fridge, I didn't want the ice dispenser, knowing it was junque that wouldn't last, but it would have cost +$200 and special order six weeks out. Current unit having failed utterly was living out of an ice chest.

Gave up and got the dispenser unit, which dispenser quit working (clogs up). Ice maker is fine, but have to periodically dump into a bowl I keep in there, compunding loss of space.

That monster is sweet, my wife would be drooling! Mine is a wee bit smaller, single oven, 4 burners with a bifold cover, and seperate broiler, with two storage drawers and a night light. The cooking charts on mine are in at least that good condition, but labeled "Roper Scientific" and copyrighted 1936 on the broiler and 1938 on the oven (I see 1951 in your second pic). There are dozens of patents listed on it, from 1936 to 1939, and I would assume that much like the ANSI numbers we see today that would date mine '39 to '42 or so.

Tom

Tom

In one of our past projects, as part of renovating the interior of a Four Square, the original Glenwood stove was rebuilt and then reinstalled in the new kitchen. The hood was custom built.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010161647_6.jpg

56.79 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101616554_7.jpg

70.25 KB

And here is the before and after of the adjacent dining room:

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101616630_8.jpg

32.54 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010161690_9.jpg