For those that REALLY like to impress their client

Robert Jones

Is the Olite brighter than an ultra-Stinger? Have problems with the bulb in my Stinger, goes out at the most inopertune times.

The Ultra-Stinger produces 295 lumens, and like Jim said, it's a t'ing of the past.

Ummm, I own four of them if anyone's interested in purchasing antiquated flashlights . . . .

I've said it here before, but for those who are looking for a handful of super-bright light, the OLight M-30 sprays out 700 lumens for $140.00.

I have one and love it.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m30-triton.html

What's the battery life like?

An hour and a half when set to 700 lumens; something ridiculous like seven or eight hours when set to 120 lumens.

I still use the Fenix TK11 most of the time 'cause the battery life is a couple of hours when left on the 225 lumens setting , but the Olight is wicked cool in attics, cellars and crawlspaces.

On a side note, I seem to remember Jim K. dissing Kurt's "fancy schmancy little flashlight" in the not-too-distant past, but now Jim's lauding the arrival of the LED age. Does this mean he finally tossed out his D-cell Ray-O-Vac?

. . . On a side note, I seem to remember Jim K. dissing Kurt's "fancy schmancy little flashlight" in the not-too-distant past, but now Jim's lauding the arrival of the LED age. Does this mean he finally tossed out his D-cell Ray-O-Vac?

Hey, it was "fancy dandy" and I wasn't dissing its LED-ness but its size. I'm not a fan of miniature tools; Don't like tiny cell phones, tiny computers, or tiny flashlights.

LEDs are the future. I'm still using my halogen Streamlight, but its days are numbered. For over a year now I've been using a cheapy LED light for crawlspaces. It blows every other flashlight I've ever owned out of the water. It was $16. I'll probably eventually move up to and LED for general use as well, but it will be bigger than a roll of lifesavers.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hey, it was "fancy dandy" and I wasn't dissing its LED-ness but its size. I'm not a fan of miniature tools; Don't like tiny cell phones, tiny computers, or tiny flashlights.

I'm pretty sure it was "fancy schmancy" but I've been wrong before.

I'm with Jim - I like the size of the Streamlight as I never have to dig for it. Having said that though it hasn't been on an outing in some time - the TK11 rides shotgun now.

My rechargeable mags are pretty much useless as far as back up lights go. I've never run out of juice with the TK, and it has never failed me on a job. I've never been able to say that before.

Some of you may not like the size of the TK, but I'm more comfortable carrying something around that can't damage stuff when swinging around or dropped.

Which brings up a question. Has anyone ever damaged anything with their flashlight that required reimbursement to the homeowner?

• 3 weeks later...

So Erby shows up at the house next door to the one I'm working inside this morning. We catch up a little, but where do we ultimately find ourselves?

Inside the house . . . where I'm showing him my Fenix and OLight. There were lamps on inside the house, so Erby says, "Let's go to the garage where it's dark."

We do, and I demonstrate the difference in the beams and explain which is best for what. We were almost like a couple of kids who'd found a father's cache of Playboy magazines. And that's okay . . . 'cause, after all, we're inspector dudes . . . . .

So many topics to talk about and naturally we end up with flashlights in a dark garage comparing light beams.

Yah ever see a guy bragging about how his right beam is better and brighter than his left beam. I have.

Glad I didn't fall for the Fenix, now. Think I'll be ordering an M30 OLight tonight.

Slick stuff. Better get an extra battery though.

-

On a side note, I seem to remember Jim K. dissing Kurt's "fancy schmancy little flashlight" in the not-too-distant past, but now Jim's lauding the arrival of the LED age. Does this mean he finally tossed out his D-cell Ray-O-Vac?

He didn't like it because it was too small. I have no idea why.

I think he's been on the LED bandwagon for a while.