Stab-Lok change out

John Dirks Jr

I just got a call from a client wanting to know if he needed to upgrade to a 200-amp service for the Zinsco (125-amp) change-out I had recommended. Evidently, the seller is willing to pay the $1800 for a replacement 125-amp panel, but they were quoted an extra $2200 a 200-amp weatherhead, meter box, panel, SECs, etc, and won't pay for that. Supposedly, they got two quotes, but they were much the same. $4000, total, seems a bit steep. I told the client that a 200-amp service would be preferrable but, with gas heat and water, the 125-amp would probably suffice...unless he was planning a grow-op.

That was in Redmond. I also had an FPE in Marysville this week. I'm betting that one will be cheaper if done by a local.

Seattle $1500 to $2000

Everett $600 to $1200

Friday Harbor, $3500.

Just kidding... and at the rates you're quoting why not get the Everett guy to drive 30 minutes down to Seattle and split the savings with him? That seems like a major difference in cost.

That's exactly what I suggest to folks all the time.

I know one guy who lives in South Everett who does fantastic work and can do just about anything he sets his mind to; roofing, carpentry, you name it - I've referred him to people as far south as Renton. For electrical work, I normally refer folks to Jim Simmons - user name on this board, Mr. Electric.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I just got a call from a client wanting to know if he needed to upgrade to a 200-amp service for the Zinsco (125-amp) change-out I had recommended. Evidently, the seller is willing to pay the $1800 for a replacement 125-amp panel, but they were quoted an extra $2200 a 200-amp weatherhead, meter box, panel, SECs, etc, and won't pay for that. Supposedly, they got two quotes, but they were much the same. $4000, total, seems a bit steep. I told the client that a 200-amp service would be preferrable but, with gas heat and water, the 125-amp would probably suffice...unless he was planning a grow-op.

That was in Redmond. I also had an FPE in Marysville this week. I'm betting that one will be cheaper if done by a local.

Yeah,

I think that's about right, if you're going from a 125-amp panel up to a 200-amp panel - but not everyone wants to spend the money to upgrade.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

What is an average cost to have a Stab-Loc panel replaced with Square-D?

Consider the rest of the stuff in good order. Maybe some minor loose ends to straighten out.

Given the age of the panel, other items probably need to be replaced due to age and condition.

Are you asking about for your house or a customer? If for a customer, why don't you let them get the prices? If for your house send me a PM.

What is an average cost to have a Stab-Loc panel replaced with Square-D?

Consider the rest of the stuff in good order. Maybe some minor loose ends to straighten out.

Given the age of the panel, other items probably need to be replaced due to age and condition.

Are you asking about for your house or a customer? If for a customer, why don't you let them get the prices? If for your house send me a PM.

It was an inspection that prompted me to inquire what costs are. I just wanted to know out of curiosity. I don't give repair estimate costs to clients. Maybe a chit chat at the inspection but I never quote costs in my reports.