Tri State Seminar

Any web site with info on it? If Bill is speaking it would be worth the trip. Perhaps we can meet up here Mike???

Well, Terence, I gather you won't be at the Tri-ASHI Seminar...

[:-paperba

I'm sorry Mike. 7 up, 7 back and hotel. It's why I didn't go to Pro-ASHI. Not that I don't want to - just a matter of economics.

Yeah, well, I was just hoping for the moral support in case Joe gets his schedule mixed up and arrives at the seminar dressed to model. eh, underessed to model. [:-party]

Don't worry about that Mike, I'm looking forward to a break from modeling. I put in less than two hours today and I feel like I've been put through the wringer. I did mostly short (4 minute), dynamic gesture poses. That really gives the muscles a workout. Tomorrow, it's back to sitting on a wooden box for a beginners sculpture class. That's easy money.

Bad news on the Woodstock moment. Taint no skinnydippin' ponds within miles of the Temple Ambler Learning Center. Darn! And it's supposed to be sunny and warm Friday.

Speaking of Woodstock, I went to an inspection seminar that included a field trip to Woodstock. Well, it wasn't the concert site in Bethel, but the Byrdcliffe Arts Colony in the hills above the town of Woodstock. Byrdcliffe is where Bob Dylan recuperated from his 1968 motorcycle crash.

It's a shame the Hudson Valley ASHI chapter no longer puts on their Old House Seminar. They were pretty cool.

Don't worry about that Mike, I'm looking forward to a break from modeling. I put in less than two hours today and I feel like I've been put through the wringer. I did mostly short (4 minute), dynamic gesture poses. That really gives the muscles a workout. Tomorrow, it's back to sitting on a wooden box for a beginners sculpture class. That's easy money.

Bad news on the Woodstock moment. Taint no skinnydippin' ponds within miles of the Temple Ambler Learning Center. Darn! And it's supposed to be sunny and warm Friday.

Speaking of Woodstock, I went to an inspection seminar that included a field trip to Woodstock. Well, it wasn't the concert site in Bethel, but the Byrdcliffe Arts Colony in the hills above the town of Woodstock. Byrdcliffe is where Bob Dylan recuperated from his 1968 motorcycle crash.

It's a shame the Hudson Valley ASHI chapter no longer puts on their Old House Seminar. They were pretty cool.

Oh, I hung out a few times around Woodstock a few years after the concert - camping in the hills outside of town at night and hanging out in the little town during the day. I had hair like Samson's, and shouldn't divulge much about the night activities. But I am happy to report that my five kidos were born with all of their fingers and toes and they're all doing fantastic. What we did in our pasts....[:-hspin]

I gotta tell you, Joe, that your avatar reminds me of one of Garrison Keillor's impromptu stories on Prairie Home Companion, where he had gone onto the roof to clear the snow off of it. After completing the task, he flips over and lays back on the roof to watch the clouds for a few minutes. Next thing he knows he wakes up to find his jacket frozen solid to the roof and he's sliding out of it with his legs dangling over the edge of the gutters. The story goes on with him trying to respond to all his neighbors walking by and shouting hellos with Garrison doing his best to conceal the fact that he's in peril. Great story, if you've never caught that one - gifted story teller.

One gives so much for one's art. . .

I gotta tell you, Joe, that your avatar reminds me of one of Garrison Keillor's impromptu stories on Prairie Home Companion, where he had gone onto the roof to clear the snow off of it. After completing the task, he flips over and lays back on the roof to watch the clouds for a few minutes. Next thing he knows he wakes up to find his jacket frozen solid to the roof and he's sliding out of it with his legs dangling over the edge of the gutters. The story goes on with him trying to respond to all his neighbors walking by and shouting hellos with Garrison doing his best to conceal the fact that he's in peril. Great story, if you've never caught that one - gifted story teller.

I can picture me in that situation! I haven't heard that story. I typically only listen to APHC when I'm going down the radio dial while driving.

My avatar pic isn't really representative of how I climb a snowy roof. I'll let the cat out of the bag ....... it was taken on my pool house roof using the camera's timer. I noticed the date was January 3 of this year. I guess I had a lot of time on my hands that day.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201092122338_1%20004%20(Small).jpg

69.36 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201092122434_1%20007%20(Small).jpg

75.6 KB

I gotta tell you, Joe, that your avatar reminds me of one of Garrison Keillor's impromptu stories on Prairie Home Companion, where he had gone onto the roof to clear the snow off of it.

I always though it looked like Joe was just sitting down to bite into one big sheet pizza roof. Shingles are an acquired taste but the snow helps them go down. [:-hspin]

I'll second that, it was nice finally meeting John Dirks, Joe Hancaviz and Bill Kibbel - all true gentlemen.

Bill's presentation and speaking were top notch. The electrical code portion was pretty good, as well (he was a bit of a comedian).

Joe brought a stack of photos of his ultra-light flights. Looks like fun. (I still think I need the false sense of security offered by a fuselage.)

Joe and John, may I recommend Pittsburgh, next year? It's an outstanding little city - stunningly beautiful at night when viewed from up on Grandview Avenue. And, there's plenty to do at night along the waterfront in the "City of Bridges" also known as the the "City of Steel". Last time I went, I brought my kayak and mountain bike. After the first evening of the seminar, I put in my kayak at 18th street and paddled up the Monongahela, around the point, down the Allegheny and returned. It was a great evening. Also, Pittsburgh's Pro-ASHI offers TWENTY hours credit for their seminar.

BTW, after a side by side taste test, Pat's King Steak kicks Geno's ass, by a knock-out.

It was great meeting John and Mike. Meeting them in person confirmed how very passionate they are ...... about their profession of course!

Mike, come on, you have to admit - you were just a little disappointed when Bill gave his presentation in a shirt and tie instead of the talked about skirt and heels.

I have to admit, I am tempted to do Pro-ASHI next year. I haven't been to Pittsburgh since 1979. It's time for a return visit.

Bill, thanks for a top-notch presentation. It got me all fired up for my next old house. Now if only the phone would ring so I have one to do.

Mike, come on, you have to admit - you were just a little disappointed when Bill gave his presentation in a shirt and tie instead of the talked about skirt and heels.

Always the gentleman - I suppose it is easier to just say that he wore a shirt and tie, than go on about how badly that top went with the skirt and high heels. [:D]

Bill, thanks for a top-notch presentation. It got me all fired up for my next old house. Now if only the phone would ring so I have one to do.

Agreed. The only thing that could be better than attending Bill's presentation would be to tag along on a couple of his historic home inspections.

PS. Fear not - Bill was appropriately dressed in a shirt and tie, and was a pleasure to speak with for a few minutes before the presentation.

It was a pleasure meeting you guys as well. Unfortunately, I assumed I would be clear for the entire day and didn't specifically specify to keep the whole day open.

It was probably the most casual and smallest seminar I've seen since becoming a speaker. That was nice - and easy. I was invited to speak at Pro-ASHI twice. They did a great job putting together those seminars. It's usually about 8-10 speakers and 150+ attending. I wouldn't hesitate going back and staying at the Station Square riverfront complex.

Mike, if you or anyone here ever wants to tag along, you're definitely welcome. It's usually not too exciting too often. I've been getting a bunch of old crap, but Wed. will be a treat. I'm scheduled to inspect an 18th century church and sessions house. During the war for independence, the church was commandeered by General Washington and used as a hospital and twice for housing several hundred Hessian POWs.

I was at the seminar as well, my first one actually (only been in the business a few years). I found it extremely informative, all three speakers. I'll admit that the main reason I went was for the credits (i got my credits online in previous years). I found the seminar much more informative and rewarding than the on-line classes. Funny thing, I didn't realize Bill was the Bill on this site till after I got home and came on here. I really enjoyed the electrical speaker as well. I recognize a few of you guys from there, but didnt really get to meet any of you (I crashed my car on the way there and wasnt in the best mood all day). I look forward to seeing some of you guys at future seminars.

Yea, I will certainly look into it. What makes that one so much better?

Well, I don't wish to take anything from the Philly Seminar at all. Pittsburgh is a uniquely compact architectural and photographic wonder, which can be viewed from atop a mountain ridge just across the river. Three rivers converge at it's point. There are TONS of steel suspension bridges ("The city of Bridges"), Carnege Mellon University and Museums, Great nightlife on the waterfront, and 20 hours credit in one seminar.

http://pittsburghskyline.com/content/20 ... july-2009/