Raccoons & Attic Insulation

Jerry Simon

Jerry,

Yes, they do eat it. Often they serve it with some nice fava beans and a touch of soy sauce.

I have seen raccoons packing loose fiberglass into plastic bags for re-sale. That is where we got the symbol/term "R" value - low priced insulation. "R" stands for the amount of loose insulation a raccoon can remove from a space, in a given increment of time.

Your welcome!

That's where the squirrels packed up their house and left when the racoons came in. Moved the insulation into the trees with them.

Be glad they didn't damage the place when the left like some of the foreclosure people do!

Seriously, maybe it was just never insulated?

-

Jerry,

Yes, they do eat it. Often they serve it with some nice fava beans and a touch of soy sauce.

I have seen raccoons packing loose fiberglass into plastic bags for re-sale. That is where we got the symbol/term "R" value - low priced insulation. "R" stands for the amount of loose insulation a raccoon can remove from a space, in a given increment of time.

Your welcome!

And, I always wondered how those orphan pieces of yellow and pink insulation end up in the middle of the forest. This is truly a revelation.

[^]

Seriously, maybe it was just never insulated?

-

No, it was. This is something I see each and every time I find a raccoon infestation in an attic. I've seen it a hundred times if not more, and thought I'd finally ask about it. Like Kurt said, a lot is mashed-down, but much is simply missing.

Iz funny...I figured Kurt would know about this. I see such often up on the north shore, in those ritzy lakefront suburbs (think Risky Business, the movie), close to where he lives - close, but no cigar; Evanston is full of yuppie scum and it's going to hell.

I know what you're saying, because I see the same thing. I just always kinda figured they moved it around, mashed it down, scoured out areas to pile up and mat down into a nest, etc., etc.......

I've never really considered the possibility that they were smuggling it out of the attic...........[:-bigeyes

• 2 years later...

We just started including this in attics with probable or confirmed raccoon activity. It is borrowed from someplace most of us know...

"Raccoon roundworm encephalitis is a very serious (and potentially fatal) disease that requires a long recovery period. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, infected raccoons commonly shed millions of roundworm eggs each day in their feces. These eggs can survive for years under adverse conditions. You can become infected by breathing dust in enclosed spaces in which raccoons have been living, such as attics. In parts of the U.S., such as the West Coast, Midwest and Northeast, local infection rates among raccoons run as high as 80%. In 2003, only 25 cases were reported, but this disease is difficult to diagnose. Of those 25 infected people, five of them died."

You may not be able to tell if raccoons have lived in the attic you?re inspecting. If you see raccoon scat on the roof or in the attic, mention it in your inspection report.