Electrical Receptacle

Jonny

I recently inspected a home and the 240 volt dryer receptacle is not attached to the wall but it is laying on the floor. The buyer is concerned about this being an issue. I cannot find any code that pertains to this issue. I aggree that it should be written up but am not sure of the signifcance of the issue. Can someone elobarate on the damgers presented by this senario.

Besides the obvious stated by Richard, the supply cable is not permitted to be loose or exposed. That cable is not designed to flex. If I see something like that, it is "amateur workmanship", which means the work was done without a permit by a careless DIYer. There may be hidden issues, such as damaged insulation or a loose screw in the receptacle.

All that without even bringing up the code violations.

Call for an electrician to repair and check the installation.

I recently inspected a home and the 240 volt dryer receptacle is not attached to the wall but it is laying on the floor. The buyer is concerned about this being an issue. I cannot find any code that pertains to this issue. I aggree that it should be written up but am not sure of the signifcance of the issue. Can someone elobarate on the damgers presented by this senario.

NEC 300.11(A)Secured in Place. Raceways, cable assemblies, boxes, cabinets, and fittings shall be securely fastened in place.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

NEC 300.11(A)Secured in Place. Raceways, cable assemblies, boxes, cabinets, and fittings shall be securely fastened in place.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I won't argue with that and I know that we're talking about dryers but, in my area, it's common to leave the range receptacle box loose so that it can be moved to accomodate various models and brands of ranges.

Marc

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I won't argue with that and I know that we're talking about dryers but, in my area, it's common to leave the range receptacle box loose so that it can be moved to accomodate various models and brands of ranges.

Marc

The man asked for the code, so I gave it to him. He also asked about the damgers, but I couldn't think of any either.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 1 month later...

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Marc

Common practice and code compliance are two different things. There are a lot of common practices which are not code compliant and not acceptable except to those that look the other way.