pretty steep

Chad Fabry

Yep,

Saw the ladder. I'm guessing you went up that like a rock climber with the right hand pointed down the roof and flat on the cover, both soles flat on the cover and with the left hand wrapped under that rake board. That's how I do them.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Yep. I'm rarely nervous on a roof but today I kept imagining bad stuff. That happens once or twice a year.

Yep,

Saw the ladder. I'm guessing you went up that like a rock climber with the right hand pointed down the roof and flat on the cover, both soles flat on the cover and with the left hand wrapped under that rake board. That's how I do them.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I still don't get that. . .

Are going up with your face toward the ridge or scooting up with your butt on the cover?

I'm pretty much a roof monkey, but absolutely would have done a visual on that puppy. Chad, my brother, if you were standing in front of me, I would say, "Dude, that is awesome." After which, I'd kick you square in the ass for risking your life for an inspection fee.

A couple of weeks ago, a roofer came by to tarp a chimney that the seller disclosed was leaking and intended to have repaired. One-story ranch, pretty flat roof, but there was snow on the ground and a large part of the shingles. I'd already hauled myself up there, safely, and at a valley, but shortly after the roofer arrived and told me who he was, I heard a loud clatter followed by a thud. I rushed outside, and the guy was lying on the deck, motionless, curled up like a baby. I told him I didn't want to touch him and exacerbate any injury, and that if he was hurt I could call 911. He moved the slightest bit, and strangely asked if I could hand him his shoe, which I hadn't noticed had come off and was on the deck.

Long story, short, the guy banged up his forehead, and he said his hip was sore, but he was okay. It was obvious that his pride was killing him for crashing down like that, but he survived.

The moral, I suppose, is that there was a guy who'd hopped on roofs all his life, but one misstep, and there he was on the ground.

Be careful . . .

Are going up with your face toward the ridge or scooting up with your butt on the cover?

Like Mikey said- I grab the rake with my left hand, facing the ridge, and keep my feet and right hand flat on the roof. I come down facing the ridge as well.

The other bits of snow were disturbed as the snow rolled down the roof and it made snowballs. It was tropical today, in the mid 30's; perfect for making snowballs.

Chad

You risking your life like that for a few hundred dollars reminds me when I went elk hunting in Colorado 10 years ago. I went to pay for my tag and the price was around $500.25. I ask the guy what the 25 cents was for and he said it was for search & rescue. He said if you get lost in the mountains the search & rescue team would use the 25 cents to call my wife and tell her I wasn't coming home. The situation was different but the results would have been the same, if you fell off that roof you probably wouldn't be going home. I use binoculars on roofs that steep and clarify in my report the roof was too steep to safely walk and was view from the ground with binoculars.

For the first 17 years, I felt compelled to climb almost every roof. Never had an incident until I slid down a roof with the slope of what is in Chads pick. I was lucky that I was able to finally get some traction at the very bottom of a valley.

I haven't climbed anything really steep for the past 8 years. I guess the incident made me realize I'd like to spend some more time wth my family.

While I admire your gecko-like adhesion....

I think I'm pretty aggressive about roofs (as do some people who have worked with me), but the only way I even consider roofs at that pitch is in dry weather, with Cougar Paws, on shingles in good condition - at that slope you can have an entire shingle detach at one corner and pivot right out from under your foot (ask me how I know this).

The other thing is, do that often enough in the summer, and sooner or later your left hand is going to find the hornet's nest hidden behind the rake board.

At that slope, any aggravating condition, and it's inspection from the ground and eaves; as my wife likes to point out: "Dead inspectors write no reports."

Like Mikey said- I grab the rake with my left hand, facing the ridge, and keep my feet and right hand flat on the roof. I come down facing the ridge as well.

The other bits of snow were disturbed as the snow rolled down the roof and it made snowballs. It was tropical today, in the mid 30's; perfect for making snowballs.

Was your decision to mount the roof aided by an abundance of snow to cushion a fall?

Marc

Hate to be a Mom but, Chad, you should not be climbing roofs that steep.

Which reminds me of a joke:

One day, three roofers were on a roof, taking a break and eating their lunches. The Mexican man got tacos, the Italian man got pasta, and the Blond-haired guy got a bologna and cheese sandwich.

The Mexican guy said, "If I get tacos again tomorrow, I will jump off this roof!"

The Italian guy said, "If I get pasta again tomorrow, I will jump off this roof!"

The Blond-haired guy said, "If I get a bologna & cheese sandwich tomorrow, I will jump off this roof!"

The next day, all three guys looked in their lunch pails. Sure enough! The Mexican had tacos, the Italian got pasta and the Blond got bologna and cheese!

Sooooo...they all jumped off the roof and they all died.

At Their Funeral, the Mexican's wife cried, "If I only knew he did not want tacos... He should have told me!"

The Italian's wife cried, "If he did not want pasta, he should have told me!"

The Blond's wife said crying, "Don't look at me... He made his own lunch!!"