Panel too low?

Mike Lamb

I'm sure I'm missing something but I can't find anything in the NEC that says this height is wrong.

There's this bit at the beginning of the NEC...

90.1 Purpose.

(A) Practical Safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is

the practical safeguarding of persons and property from

hazards arising from the use of electricity.

I think that is also a good description of one of our purposes as HIs. Sadly, there's no way the codes can cover every dumb thing a jackass could possibly come up with. BUT...we have the luxury, and the obligation, as home inspectors to use common sense instead of an "official" cite when something is obviously FUBAR, whether it's in the book or not. A panel at floor level, right next to a damn washing machine!!! I wouldn't bother even trying to look that one up before calling it an unacceptable hazard.

I'm sure I'm missing something but I can't find anything in the NEC that says this height is wrong.

There's this bit at the beginning of the NEC...

90.1 Purpose.

(A) Practical Safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is

the practical safeguarding of persons and property from

hazards arising from the use of electricity.

I think that is also a good description of one of our purposes as HIs. Sadly, there's no way the codes can cover every dumb thing a jackass could possibly come up with. BUT...we have the luxury, and the obligation, as home inspectors to use common sense instead of an "official" cite when something is obviously FUBAR, whether it's in the book or not. A panel at floor level, right next to a damn washing machine!!! I wouldn't bother even trying to look that one up before calling it an unacceptable hazard.

Thanks. Good to know.

I'll go along with extremely short occupants.[;)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_201211811216_100_4073.jpg

61.11?KB

The question for the Jeopardy answer is: What is the service panel at Snow White's house?

No idea. Let's hear it Chad.

Marc

If I explain it, it won't be funny.

I'll gladly make your comment unfunny:

In the TV game show, Jeopardy, contenstants are challenged with clues that are answers to unspoken questions. The contestants must compete with each other to formulate the correct question to match each clue. In this case, Chad treated the original post photo as if it were a clue and formulated a question as if he were a contestant.

So, in reconstructing the amusing comment, the question would be, "What is the service panel at Snow White's house?" And the answer would be the picture in the original post.

You may now laugh.

Hey Bain. Are ya reading this?

I'm confused. Was Marc giving Chad "the look"? Did Chad give Marc "the look" back? Is Katen the guy who gives "the look", then explains the joke? Does Marc get the joke yet, or is he still giving everyone else "the look"?

Marc definitely was not giving Chad "the look." He simply didn't understand how Jeopardy is played.

Chad absolutely gave Marc "the look," but it was the subtle and often misunderstood reverse-look variation. Chad's reasoning was correct, cause wit that has to be explained is an epic fail--sort of like if you have to add a smiley (In my opinion) to let a reader know you're joking, the writing was weak in the first place (In my opinion).

No "looks" at all were cast by Jim Katen. He was politely explaining--in a dorksome kind of way--why Chad's joke was amusing. On a side note, Jim didn't respond to my recent "Is she a post or isn't she?" question because he was aware that I was joking, even though my question was sans aforementioned smiley face (Or, perhaps he considers me a moron beyond redemption and didn't want to waste his time. I, being a large fan of repression, choose to believe the former.).

Marc now gets the joke, but I would wager he first Googled "Jeopardy" to make certain Jim was playing straight with him and that a second joke wasn't occurring that he wasn't aware of.

I am currently the recipient of "the look" because my dog refuses to believe anything is more important than having balls tossed to him in my backyard. Interestingly, if I had placed a smiley face behind balls in the last sentence, people would read it again because they would think the word "balls" was meant to be perceived in a lewd way.

Marc definitely was not giving Chad "the look." He simply didn't understand how Jeopardy is played.

Chad absolutely gave Marc "the look," but it was the subtle and often misunderstood reverse-look variation. Chad's reasoning was correct, cause wit that has to be explained is an epic fail--sort of like if you have to add a smiley (In my opinion) to let a reader know you're joking, the writing was weak in the first place (In my opinion).

No "looks" at all were cast by Jim Katen. He was politely explaining--in a dorksome kind of way--why Chad's joke was amusing. On a side note, Jim didn't respond to my recent "Is she a post or isn't she?" question because he was aware that I was joking, even though my question was sans aforementioned smiley face (Or, perhaps he considers me a moron beyond redemption and didn't want to waste his time. I, being a large fan of repression, choose to believe the former.).

Marc now gets the joke, but I would wager he first Googled "Jeopardy" to make certain Jim was playing straight with him and that a second joke wasn't occurring that he wasn't aware of.

I am currently the recipient of "the look" because my dog refuses to believe anything is more important than having balls tossed to him in my backyard. Interestingly, if I had placed a smiley face behind balls in the last sentence, people would read it again because they would think the word "balls" was meant to be perceived in a lewd way.

You lost your wager. Mr K was clear as a bell.

Marc

You lost your wager. Mr K was clear as a bell.

Marc

Is a bell clear? Aren't they usually some kind of metal? I don't get it.