Date Format

Okay, I'm used to 10/7/2012, or 10-07-2012.

What's with this 2012-10-07 format crap I've been seeing quite a bit of lately? It's on the www, and on my new camera. Pissin' me off.

Easy Francis. It sounds like someone has anger-management issues. It's just a different date format that other countries use. You can change it on your camera. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country

International Standard ISO 8601 states: 4 digit year - 2 digit month - 2 digit day.

Hyphen separators are optional and leading 0's recommended for month/day.

All as noted with above posts.

As an amateur radio operator I also use UTC time for all my contacts, but over the years used a "Day - Month - Year" format as that is what has been common in Europe, etc..

I've been getting more QSL cards of late with the ISO 8601 standard format. My next batch of QSL cards I'll be printing this next week will have the date set for the above.

Certainly makes it easier for me anyway.

The 1st release of ISO 8601 was in 1988, the 2nd in 2000 and the most recent was in 2004 and is labeled as: ISO 8601:2004

Click the link below for more information than anyone might want about ISO 8601.

ISO 8601 Data

It's how we wrote the date on stuff in the Army; two digit year, two digit month, two digit day. I've used it for the past 16 years on my reports. Friday's building inspection report number is BIR-12100502 (Building Inspection Report performed on the afternoon of October 5th 2012.)

Go into your camera settings and change the format.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Yeah, me too. YYMMDDx. It keeps my files in order.

Back in the late 60's and during the 70's I was a computer programmer for various business mainframe systems. Data storage was bulky and a premium at that time, which is why we used YYMMDD for all dates instead of YYYYMMDD. Of course, this common practice led to the Y2K scare. I'm proud that I did my bit to employ the thousands of future computer geeks that eventually saved us all from a meltdown.