Costco's "World's Greatest Multi-Use Ladder"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That little yeller "World's Greatest Multi-Use Ladder" hasn't offered me a bit of trouble in the five years I've been using it on about 95% of my inspections.

The other 5% I've had to pull out the LG.

Of course they are NOT left exposed to weather (well, other than when I'm inspecting in the snow and rain), so maybe that's helped keep trouble away.

I bought the WGMUL at Wal-Mart back then for $96.00.

Like some of y'all I'm just to dang lazy to do that "hop" into the attic when I can climb right up there with my ladder.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Big One / little one

52.05 KB

Don't often make copies when I resize using the Powertoys Image Resizer. Dang thing adds parentheses & spaces when it does copies. Hafta remember that.

• 6 months later...

Hello. I am looking for information on the comparitive weight of these ladders. Being "non-male" and also "non-young" the weight is important to me. I really like the idea of the flexability of these but am concerned whether I'll be able to handle it easily. I am going to need to replace the ol' aluminum extension ladder and wouldn't mind replacing the ol' wooden 6' step ladder with one item. Thanks

JLB,

What's your first name? I think you will find this group to welcome various perspectives, and we're generally nice enough.

Anyway... You should be able to find the weights of various ladders listed on the websites that sell them. Personally, I don't think you will like the weight of the combination ladders.

I'm a stronger than average 54 year old, but I don't want to push my 'lower back' any more than I have to.

I have a 24' aluminum extension on my roof rack. My 6' aluminum step ladder gets me up to attics and fits inside my Grand Cherokee. So my 'indoor' ladder stays clean, while my 'outdoor' ladder doesn't weigh me down.

I am ALWAYS vigilant of electric if I'm using a ladder, but that's a good idea even if you use fiberglass! Best of luck in your choice!

Hi,

It's been a while, and I'm not sure that the same ladder is still available at Costco. The last time I was there, they were selling an overseas Costco-branded knock-off of the American made Little Giant, which is what I have now. (The 17' World's Greatest Ladder that I started this thread about was stolen out of my truck somewhere around 2003/2004.

My 13ft. Little Giant knock-off is probably heavier than the 22ft. extension ladder I used to use. The 21ft. is easily 1-1/2 times the weight of the extension ladder I used to use and it's a bear to get opened to its full height because it's rated for 300lbs and is built heavier. I've never weighed it, but I'd guess that it probably weighs somewhere around 55lbs.

Still, the stability of a ladder is important and these ladders are certainly a whole lot more stabile than either my extension ladder or the fiberglass step ladder I used to use.

OT - OF!!!

M.

The Little Giant LG-17 is a hard ladder to beat. If you do not need the one rated for 300lbs, get the original model and you will save some weight. I have the LG-17 that is rated for 300lbs, I think it weighs in at 35lbs. Once you learn how to handle and manipulate the ladder (do not attempt to do this in front of your client or others at first!), you will find it easy to use. Yes, it does weigh more than some ladders but it is the most stable ladder you will ever climb on.

The lightest ladder I have seen is the TeleSteps. I had one and sold it after a few months of use, it just did not have the stability of the LG. I did not feel safe on it. But I know several inspectors who love their TeleStep ladder, they are also fairly small framed individuals and might weigh 175lbs dripping wet.

Go to the big box stores and walmart and look at the ladders they have. Some of them are lighter than others.

I have the same set up that Mike has.

I have seen ladders that weighs less that the ones I have. If I had to just get one ladder I would go with a 17-footer.

• 1 year later...

I have the same 17'LG (225lbs version) that I bought when I started this gig. Don't see why it won't last another 10.

I also bought the 21' heavy weight model LG and might have used it 2-3 times. Right now its sitting in my garage collecting dust. When I need a ladder around the house I get my LG out of the X.

• 5 months later...

My Cosco ladder was left out in the weather. I can't get it opened. I don't have a lot of strength in my wrists anymore. Any suggestions would be helpful. And I brought the ladder inside to the garage.

The safe, sane way:

Get a strong friend to disassemble it for you. Use a scotch brite pad to buff the parts with white corrosion on them. Put it back together and don't leave it out in the rain again.

The fun way:

Disengage the locking pins and unfold the ladder so that it's straight. Get some heavy rope and tie the bottom sliding section to the base of a tree. Tie the top sliding section to the ball hitch on your car . . .

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 11 months later...

Gosh, I bought a Costco, a few years ago and found the folding ladders to be heavy, awkward and time consuming. It's been in my shed for about three years now.

I find it so much easier to shoulderr a 13' aluminum extension ladder and carry a 6' step ladderalong with my 24'.

I carried the folding ladder for about a year, always intending to make the transition but every time I looked at my choices I picked the easiest and least frustrating choice, which ruled out the folding ladder.

That's just been my experience.

Ya must be bored, Phillip, digging up these old threads.

Been about 9 years now for my two ladders. Still no problems.

Once I got used to flipping them around and making em do what I wanted, they offer easy access to just about anything I want to get to.

Looks like JLB (Post #28 back in 2007) never did come back for an answer. Wonder if she's still in business?

-

Ya must be bored, Phillip, digging up these old threads.

Been about 9 years now for my two ladders. Still no problems.

Once I got used to flipping them around and making em do what I wanted, they offer easy access to just about anything I want to get to.

Looks like JLB (Post #28 back in 2007) never did come back for an answer. Wonder if she's still in business?

-

I am a little on the bored side. Inspection on the slow side and chasing women has worn me out. Makes me eat and drank too much.

I seen the ladders and thought I would let the newer inspectors know where a good deal is.

I love my 21 footer and 13 footer. I would hate to be with out them. But to each their own.

Gosh, I bought a Costco, a few years ago and found the folding ladders to be heavy, awkward and time consuming. It's been in my shed for about three years now.

That made me laugh. I have a Werner 21', 300lb rated, and it is heavy. The boy and I had it out Friday to retrieve a model rocket from a tree, and while I was toting it across the lawn he's reading the label and says, "300 pounds! Wow that's pretty heavy huh?"

Tom

Ladder's too heavy? Pull the top section off, leave it in the truck.

I use a Jaws, I like the knuckle joint better than LG, plus it is lighter, I think.

Minus the top, it's only about 20 lbs and reaches about 13-14 feet.

For 2 storey I rely on a proper extension ladder, 28 '.

Telesteps for indoors, attics and an occasional balcony.

I don't understand all the excitement over Little Giant. I bought one when I first got started in business and it's too heavy and cumbersome to open/close. I now have 3 ladders laying flat in the 8' bed of my pickup. A 16' extension (the kind without a rope), 6' step and 2' step. The extension is light enough to hold out sideways at arms length and extends fully in 5 seconds with 2 movements of one hand. The only thing I don't carry everyday is my 28' extension for two story access. I got plans to make a headache rack for that.

The 16' extension is about $40.00 and I'm on my second one after 7 years of business. First one blew off my headache rack at night on my smaller pickup when I forgot to tie it down.

Marc

That's what I'm talking about! An aluminum 13' extension ladder is rediculously light (like maybe 15 lbs.) and sets up in about 3 seconds. Like, Marc, I have a 2' and 6' step and my 13' and 24' extensions.

I mean, if I used a folding ladders, I wouldn't be able to do three inspections in a day either... [:P]