What's going on with this century home attic?

andrewdiesman

Could be black staining from current leaks or decades ago leaks, could be mold. Could be the lumber was stacked up when the house was being built, got wet and stained, and it's looked that way for 100 years.

Hard to know; can't tell much from the pics. If there's no vents, install some vents.

Show us an exterior establishing shot.

Andrew,

Grow a thick skin. It can get rough in here at times.

Then learn how to take better photos or how to manipulate contrast and ask specific questions instead of just "what you think?"

You'll get some good answers if you hang around long enough and let your skin thicken up so the bitch slaps don't hurt so much.

It's an 80 some year old attic! If they want new and shiny, they need to buy a new and shiny house that'll fall down in 30 years while this one keeps on going.

Trying to determine if the attic is properly ventilated / if that's all moldy wood. Blown-in insulation was added to the attic a few years ago apparently.

What, in particular, do you want to know? What do you suspect is going on?

Sorry, I just can't tell anything from the pictures. I'll offer this, though: I rarely see problems associated with ventilation in attics of this age. Air usually moves through them too easily.

83... 100.. it's all old, but if it makes you feel any better I'll wear this for awhile [:-dunce]

:D

If that house were a woman you'd have been bitch slapped by an octogenarian for insinuating she looks 20 years older than she is.

That is what an 83 year old attic looks like.

Where is the Delaware guy? This is an excellent example of how easy it is to obtain a NY license.

Thanks for the tips Erby. So just color me [^] for awhile because I'm definitely new

Andrew,

Grow a thick skin. It can get rough in here at times.

Then learn how to take better photos or how to manipulate contrast and ask specific questions instead of just "what you think?"

You'll get some good answers if you hang around long enough and let your skin thicken up so the bitch slaps don't hurt so much.

It's an 80 some year old attic! If they want new and shiny, they need to buy a new and shiny house that'll fall down in 30 years while this one keeps on going.

Oh, and Tom - by the way you can thank me for fixing your signature later: "Life is tough enough as it is, it's tougher when your you're stupid. Don't do stupid things. "

If that house were a woman you'd have been bitch slapped by an octogenarian for insinuating she looks 20 years older than she is.

That is what an 83 year old attic looks like.

Where is the Delaware guy? This is an excellent example of how easy it is to obtain a NY license.

Andrew, if you don't mind, what is it you do that lead you here to post a question? I see your profile says you're a consultant. What type of consultant?

Edit; Not asking to be a smartass. The division of licensing last updated their data base on the ninth of August. Your name is nowhere to be found.

Care to share your license number with the class?

I can't see shit in those pics either, but I'll offer this. It is possible to insulate an attic that has been problem-free, and cause a condensation problem. You need the right confluence of factors. Perhaps it's an unvented attic that was built with shakes on it, but now has a layer of OSB, felt, and comp. Airflow is much reduced. Perhaps it's in a cold climate. Without much insulation, a lot of heat from the interior migrated up to the attic, and kept things above the dewpoint. Now, someone has blown in a bunch more insulation, so the attic temp is lower, but they didn't air-seal anything, so there's still humidity moving up there from inside, and you have a problem. Not saying that's what you have, because I can't see shit.

Andrew, if you don't mind, what is it you do that lead you here to post a question? I see your profile says you're a consultant. What type of consultant?

Edit; Not asking to be a smartass. The division of licensing last updated their data base on the ninth of August. Your name is nowhere to be found.

Care to share your license number with the class?

Just in case you somehow missed this the last two times I saw you were on line.

Which is it, Andrew? Do you have a license to perform home inspections, or not? Where did you go, Andrew?

That's old plank sheathing for a slate, tile or wood roof covering. There were lots of previous leaks and there's some really busted up boards. I can't tell if there's any current moisture from condensation or previous leaks from here. What's the roof covering over it now?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013814131827_Roof3.jpg

32.97 KB

Gary, his IP address is in Toronto. That's quite a swim across lake Ontario to inspect in NY.