TV fried?

I know some of you may have some valid input on a problem I have.

The wife was watching TV during a storm. She was watching via WIFI dvd player which is hooked to TV with HDMI. TV went out and so did Comcast DVR(wasnt being used at the time but was powered up.)

Now, the TV wont display programming but it will display menu options. No media display on any of the HDMI, component or video in inputs.

Its a 5 year old Panasonic 50" Plasma.

What do you think a repair would cost? Should I ditch the diagnosis fees and just get a new TV?

A small component is fried, but nowadays that means they will install a new circuit board, plug and play. I'd check around for a repair shop. Draw the line at 50% the cost of the unit.

Whutttttt? Go buy a new TV.

You'll pay half the cost of a 5 year old TV and Uh, have a new one to watch the Ravens get crushed every week this year.

A small component is fried, but nowadays that means they will install a new circuit board, plug and play. I'd check around for a repair shop. Draw the line at 50% the cost of the unit.

We can replace the tv for $650. I bet the repair would be at least 1/2 that.

Both Comcast boxes are damaged too. One is totally blacked out and the other will only put out signal on RCA A/V plugs, (no HDMI).

I'm convinced the surge came in through the Comcast coaxial cable. I'm in touch with them for investigation and compensation of some sort. At least that's what the phone rep eluded to.

Whutttttt? Go buy a new TV.

You'll pay half the cost of a 5 year old TV and Uh, have a new one to watch the Ravens get crushed every week this year.

We're on the new TV idea like white on rice.

As far as the Ravens are concerned, you mean the ones that won the Superbowl last season, right? I'm still loving that victory. But they a different team this year so we'll just wait and see.

The electronics is likely modular which means repair would consist of replacing a board or two. Most of the cost of that tv is in the screen. The electronics isn't much.

Shop around...a lot. Techs often will screw you for whatever they think they can get. That's why I quit the field after only 1 year.

One more thing...Unplug the unit, open it up, get a flashlight and give it a close visual inspection. Look for burned parts, connections, anything out of the ordinary. That's step #1 that many tech use to diagnose and you don't have to be a tech to do it. Your inspector eyes will do nicely. Let me know if you find something. Stores don't sell the parts but I may still be able to get it.

Marc

The cable company has no responsibility for surges, etc.... You might want to check other electrical items in the home. I had this happen several years ago with a lighting strike to a cable box down the street from my home. It took out many of the electronics in about 6 homes. We had enough damage we were able to make a claim on our homeowners insurance.

The electronics is likely modular which means repair would consist of replacing a board or two. Most of the cost of that tv is in the screen. The electronics isn't much.

Shop around...a lot. Techs often will screw you for whatever they think they can get. That's why I quit the field after only 1 year.

One more thing...Unplug the unit, open it up, get a flashlight and give it a close visual inspection. Look for burned parts, connections, anything out of the ordinary. That's step #1 that many tech use to diagnose and you don't have to be a tech to do it. Your inspector eyes will do nicely. Let me know if you find something. Stores don't sell the parts but I may still be able to get it.

Marc

To best support the local economy, buy the new TV and have the old one repaired too. [:)] Burgers beer and football are all good for the economy.

Marc, he'll have to break i to get the back off. Better to pass it on.

The Panasonic 50" plasma that got hit was an awsome TV. Even at 720p the picture and brightness were excellent. The room its in has a big picture window facing south so we need the brightness capability of the Panasonic Vivid plasma. The new TV we got is also a Panasonic 50" plasma but this one is 1080p. It weighs about half of the older TV and consumes half as much energy. The plasmas have very high refresh rate. This one is 600 hertz. High motion scenes are totally fluid. We havnt put a Bluray disc in but we expect that to be awsome.

Going through home owners policy to recover some of the expense. The new set was $650.

Craiglist for the old one is an idea worth considering.

John, are you sure I can't take the back off and explore?

I was being sarcastic. By all means if there are Phillips screws to remove, give it a try. Nowadays the challenge is getting the plastic case open without breaking it. Then there are no user friendly parts inside either, which is why the techs just replace boards.

Curtis Mathes, now there's a TV you could fix. [:)]

I going to let the insurance claim play out first. When that's done, if the set is still in my possession I'll open it up for a look.

Allstate covered the claim.

I removed the tuner board and found a repair service that looks like a fair deal. If there's not a problem with the board they refund your money. They only charge if they discover a fault and make a successful repair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TNPH0716S-TNPH0 ... 27d2cbb0b9

Here is my board.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1390397.JPG

1625.37 KB

• 3 weeks later...