New tool/toy for looking at roofs and chimneys

In-Depth

So i picked up one of these around the 1st of the year and have been practicing my flying skills.

Phantom 2 Vision

Here is a unedited video I shot the other day:

Any shaking and swerving is due to my (lack of) flying skills!

This thing is pretty kewl and easy to fly(with a little practice) and stable.

I do some big houses and this is another tool in the toybox to get a better look at roofs and chimneys.

I would call that more of a tool than a toy. Would you have physically climbed up to that chimney cap? What are the still images like?

Exactly, this is my own house and the roof is steeper than I'm comfortable on. I've always wondered what the top of my chimney looked like, since I see so many bad ones.

So far the still images look good, but with the snow it's been hard to get detail. I'm not necessarily expecting to be able to see hail damage or fine details, but we will see.

Good photos would require a much closer approach than what's in that video, though almost 4 minutes of hovering is encouraging.

Marc

You are right, but as my confidence in my flying gets better, I should be able to get closer. I didn't feel like climbing up there to retrieve the bird if I got a little too close!

This thing uses GPS, so it holds a hover amazingly well!

They claim 25 minute flight times, and I've been getting 15 minutes easily in the cold.

Jim

I've watched 3 times. I hate to say it, but I might get more use out of that thing than my IR camera. I'm a ladder, get on the roof and get up close kind of guy; sometimes, it's just not possible without a 40'er, and I can't single hand a 40'er anymore.

There's definitely a practical application; it's not a toy.

And, I suppose prices will continue to drop, just like every other bit of high-techery.

Hmmmmm.......

With high definition you should be able to zoom in pretty well after retrieval. How does it handle wind ?

Funny you mention that, i was on a commercial project today and saw one on these in there office and asked about it. They indicated it was there second, as they lost the first one trying to fly in high winds. Said they still have not found it, and have no idea where it end up.

I think it's pretty neat!

Wonder if there are any regulations as to where you can fly them.

Like in Brooklyn?

From what I have heard the FAA does not allow their use for commercial purposes. But if you are not advertising the service, probably not likely that they would go after you.

Funny you should say that...

Those pesky Canadians don't worry aboot the FAA

With high definition you should be able to zoom in pretty well after retrieval. How does it handle wind ?

It's definately tricky in the wind! Yesterday was windy, and I took it out on a frozen lake so I could practice without any obstructions. It was getting blown around pretty good. It self-corrects, but has more trouble holding a steady hover. It also tilts more nose down into the wind, and the camera can't quite point up enough to compensate. Flying it higher helped with the camera angle.

I don't think I would bust it out on an inspection if it's windy.

There have been some reported fly-aways prior to a software update. I wrote my phone number and "Reward if found" on it with a sharpie.

It has a "return to home" feature while flying, and the phone app has a locate feature as well. Both rely on GPS, but you have to calibrate it before flying so it knows where home is and make sure the GPS has satellite lock before flying it.

Calibrating it involves flipping a switch back and forth, then rotating the bird until the lights change color. It only takes about a minute.

I'm not getting rid of my ladder by any means, this is just another option for when the ladder isn't tall enough, the roof is steep or complex, etc.

I still like to see things up close with my own eyes.

I attached a lame still photo from yesterday. I'll take a still of my chimney and post it later. It's cold and windy again today.

Jim

Click to Enlarge
tn_201422694945_D2014Feb25150756DJI00014.jpg

38.63 KB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There was an article I read in the paper this week. The FAA's citation against the fellow was thrown out because they cited him for violating a rule that wasn't a rule because they hadn't issued any regulations yet. That doesn't mean that their authority is in question. You cannot use these for commercial purposes until the FAA has posted their rules and that could be months from now. Until then, I think the best thing you can do is not to press your luck. Sure, you can say, "Hey, there are no rules yet, so screw you," but if they seize your drone and shove it into their evidence room it could take years to get it out even if you prevail in a few weeks.

Wait until the rules are established; then go play.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 2 months later...

This morning, the buyer decided to play with his Blade quadcopter. I was looking forward to seeing what it could do and the video and stills it could take, but he crashed it within 30 seconds.

I think I'll be getting one when things slow down and I have time to devote to the learning curve.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201461418518_1%20040.jpg

53.38 KB

• 2 months later...

Here is a video link to my 1st few drone flights. Was very windy but not to hard to control. It took about 8-10 minutes to look at the roof and video & take many photos. I need more a lot more practice before using on a real job. But see definite potential for some more difficult roofs. Also here are some photos taken with it. So far very pleased.

John Callan

[utube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZepZCfjKxY8&feature=youtu.be" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

[utube]

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

[utube]

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014817212835_Phanton%20Vision%202%20plus%20-%202nd%20flight%20011.jpg

53.6 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Roof Photo using Drone camera.jpg

93.38?KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Roof Photo with Drone camera.jpg

97.28?KB

[:-taped]quote]Originally posted by Marc

Nice demo of the bird.

Too far away from roof/wall surfaces to garner any points as an inspection tool IMHO.

Marc

Actually I didn't try to look at the walls yet-just tried it out(short flight) but it can get very close to roof as the chimney top photo clearly shows. I can get very close to roofs and walls. It is very stable as the camera is on a gimbal and it links to up to 8 satellites to know its position-not a toy like some drones. (AR Parrot comes to mind) By the way battery is good for 25 minutes.

But it is newer technology and not right for everyone yet. But heck I remember when some folks thought photos in a report was a waste of time. Here is another close up photo.

John Callan

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014817231653_Phanton%20Vision%202%20plus%20-%202nd%20flight%20005.jpg

30.25 KBd).