StabLok with no main breaker

MPdesign

Hey guys,

I have an apartment complex with Stab-lok panels. They are fed overhead. I could not find a main for any panel & the maintenance guy there for 3 years did not know of one.

Any ideas? I have never seen a unit without a main.

By the way, they also have 3 prong receptacles with only 2 wires going to them.

AND... what does the knob in the middle of the panel do?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201441623489_Copy1.jpg

42.61 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014416234930_Stab-Lok.jpg

40.4 KB

I once saw a small commercial building with four suites, each of which had stablok panels of the same age as yours, and which had no service disconnects at all. There were meters on the exterior, with no mains, and I was able to trace it and confirm that there was nothing between the meters and the individual panels. Bizarre - sounds like you found the same thing.

there are 7 breakers - 6 on top and 1 on bottom

There's most likely a meter room somewhere that has meter stacks with the mains in it.

the bottom breakers in that panel violates 240.81 in the NEC.

From the 2011 NEC article 240.81

Circuit breakers shall clearly indicate whether they are in the open "off" or closed "on" position.

Where circuit breakers are operated vertically rather than rotationally or horizontally , the "up" position of the handle shall be the "on" position.

Circuit breakers shall clearly indicate whether they are in the open "off" or closed "on" position.

Where circuit breakers are operated vertically rather than rotationally or horizontally , the "up" position of the handle shall be the "on" position.

Jack, was that in the NEC when the panels were installed? Is everything now a "violation" because of new versions of codes?

Jack, was that in the NEC when the panels were installed? Is everything now a "violation" because of new versions of codes?

Well - Not sure when those unit panels were installed, BUT i did look at the 1978 NEC and it was in there then.