Think Twice Before You Blow Off an Attic !!!

hausdok

Don't want to crawl around in that attic? Think twice before you blow off an attic - it could come back to bite you?

That's what a Pillar-to-Post inspector is learning in Florida. According to an online article posted by WFTV.com, a Pillar-to-Post inspector in Florida, who does both home inspections and pest inspections, declined to inspect an attic because he said that the entrance hatch was too small for entry and Florida law allows him to make that decision, The portion of attic that he inspected and reported on was only what he was able to see from the hatch.

Shortly after the client/new owner moved in, subterranean termites that were nesting in the framing of the house began emerging from the structure to do their annual swarm. The new owner had the house inspected by at least one other pest inspector who entered the attic and found substantial termite damage that would have been readily visible to the inspector, had he simply entered the attic.

This is one of my biggest peeves with this thing we do. How is it that cable-television folks, HVAC techs, electricians, plumbers, pest inspectors and insulating contractors can all get into attics and move around in them for years before we inspectors arrive on site and then we, the so-called experts of the construction world, refuse to enter those exact same attics?

The case is now in litigation. Learn more at this link.

Every time I run into one of those "it's too small", "it's too hard", etc I think to myself that there's something in there that's going to come back and bite my butt if I don't get in there, gear up, go in and sure as hell, almost every damn time, there's something there that makes me glad I made the effort.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201491610320_B4U085.jpg

54.83 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014916103219_B4U076.jpg

54.58 KB

Of course, if you're 350 pounds with a 60 inch waist, I guess it'd be a different story.

Really they should require that all attics have a rat walk if the attic has a hatch for inspection and servicing.

But that said how many will trample untouched insulation if that is the only option to traverse the attic?

I will leave a few discreet footprints on the trusses. That is breaking trail for the repair guy. [:)]

Manufactured trusses have been standard here since about 1970. It can be a challenging obstacle course to get to the back end. I wouldn't hire a 300 lb inspector.

Really they should require that all attics have a rat walk if the attic has a hatch for inspection and servicing.

But that said how many will trample untouched insulation if that is the only option to traverse the attic?

Attic space over 30" tall has to be accessible. There is the path to equipment rule. Lacking that, I have to say I always high step as needed to make my way in an attic...it's my job.

I wouldn't hire a 300 lb inspector.

Seriously?

I'm close to 300 pounds and I get in some really tight places. I'll admit, at times I do get 'I can't believe you did that' looks from buyers.

This one was a split level where the only access to the lower attic was from the upper attic. I'm glad the buyer wasn't there to see me do it. I'm sure it wasn't pretty.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014916182810_3-6-13.jpg

60.62 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014916182521_3-6-13a.jpg

65.51 KB

I often walk in the Vee created by truss webs to avoid walking through the insulation. In my house I put a catwalk at this area. Some inspector is going to be spoiled when he inspects my attic (or he will not have a good excuse for not walking around).

I found one like that not long ago. It was like a dream come true.

Joe and Mike, I said 300. 295 with a spring in your step, no problemo. [:)]

I wouldn't hire a 300 lb inspector.

I'm 6'1" and I'm not as flexible as in the past. My right knee sometimes gives me grief while walking on roofs and I've also had a bout or two with claustrophobia. As a result I haven't always gotten into places I should have or wanted to. Perhaps some people shouldn't be hiring me either.