structural and mechanical

Now and then I have a client request structural and mechanical only. I've never scaled my service down and always did the full general inspection which I'm sure included structural and mechanical.

Where are the clients getting this idea? If I decided to do it as they suggest, exactly what is expected in a structural and mechanical only inspection?

Does Maryland define the scope of an inspection? Can it be negotiated or does the state mandate a minimum inspection from a licensed home inspector?

There is language in the MD SOP which allows a partial inspection as long as at least two of the major categories are done. So it would be legal in MD to do structure and HVAC only.

If I decided to do it as they suggest, exactly what is expected in a structural and mechanical only inspection?

You know as well as I do John that different systems can interact with each other. What if poor grading is putting excessive pressure on the foundation and causes a problem down the road. Will the client get upset because you didn't point out the potential.

About a year ago a client only wanted a partial inspection. I had him put in writing what he wanted me to cover. After he got the report he thought of other things he wanted to know about and wondered if I happened to look at them as well - which I didn't. He was a bit miffed even though he acknowledged that he tied my hands with his request. He didn't get any sympathy out of me.

If I decided to do it as they suggest, exactly what is expected in a structural and mechanical only inspection?

You know as well as I do John that different systems can interact with each other. What if poor grading is putting excessive pressure on the foundation and causes a problem down the road. Will the client get upset because you didn't point out the potential.

About a year ago a client only wanted a partial inspection. I had him put in writing what he wanted me to cover. After he got the report he thought of other things he wanted to know about and wondered if I happened to look at them as well - which I didn't. He was a bit miffed even though he acknowledged that he tied my hands with his request. He didn't get any sympathy out of me.

Which is exactly why I'm skeptical about the issue.

There is language in the MD SOP which allows a partial inspection as long as at least two of the major categories are done. So it would be legal in MD to do structure and HVAC only.

Interesting. Didn't see it in the SOP which runs from 9.36.07.00 to 9.36.07.13. I'd like to see it. Do you know where it is?

Marc

Interesting. Didn't see it in the SOP which runs from 9.36.07.00 to 9.36.07.13. I'd like to see it. Do you know where it is?

Marc

I know it used to be there. I'll have to look. It's possible that it changed. I'll tell you what I find.

. . . Where are the clients getting this idea? . . .

Ask them.

Well, I did ask them about exterior, roof, plumbing, electric. I suggested it was important to inspect those things too.

That's not asking them where they got the idea. Did they read about it on the interweb, hear about it from their agent, friend, or family member, or just think it up on their own?

I've never done a partial, because in IL it would not be a "home inspection" as outlined in our regulations. Sometimes when someone is planning on doing major renovations I'll provide a verbal consultation. I'll look and talk about anything they want but they have to take notes and I provide no written document.

Eric,

I think you miss spelled the adjective for work. I usually use half-*****, rather than half-***, or in your case half-**** which does not comport with my dictionary.

You're right Les - my spelling was half-***. or should it be *****?

...............and I notice that I can't spell mis-spell? At least I am in good company.

Marc

I know it used to be there. I'll have to look. It's possible that it changed. I'll tell you what I find.

I couldn't find anything on this. It was something I heard at a meeting a long time ago. Maybe it used to be there but no longer is.

We are supposedly all grown ups. As such we are allowed to enter into contracts for all sorts of services.

The big deal with partials is making sure your client understands that the further you stray from SOP the less teeth the inspection has with respect to their real estate transaction.

My E+O provider specifies that I do a complete inspection and produce a full report. I don't know if this rule gets put to the test very often, but it is something to be aware of.