This is so bad....

I had to share this latest offering from the ASHI School....

Course Description: This mold inspection course is a comprehensive study of mold and moisture damage, and the effects thereof on structures. It is conveyed in a "bump-up" learning environment. Learning begins in an abstract form and then expands into a more formative development of specifics. Part one begins with Mold inspection basics which is a primer that covers: mold's history, types of, health concerns of, requirements for its growth, inspection methods for, sampling and testing of, individual and professional remediation practices.

Next bump-up level is Part two which covers the following: aspects of mold's growth, types, conveyance systems, and discoveries through professional mold remediation practices. It will also cover proper use of PPE (personal protection equipment), safety, learning how to find the Red Flags of moisture intrusion and the theory of associated client Red Flag Symptoms caused by exposure to mold.

Part three is a 4-part system expansion that delves deeper into all aspects of the inspection processes that inspectors will encounter in mold and moisture damage within structures. The culminating enhanced areas will be on use of equipment, sampling and testing, report writing based on findings, and marketing the business of environmental inspection techniques.

Culminating enhanced areas....bump up learning environment......from the abstract to a more formative development of specifics......

Where do we find such men?

KURT - PLEASE do NOT get me started on ASHI School again!!

I just can't understand the entire "scam" and total lack of professionals and principles. Lots of principals ("a person who empowers another to act as his representative.")

There is no personal element about my loathing of the ASHI School and how it really hurts home inspection.

You and I have seen this para before and we will see it again and again. It is a joke.

If we could get a meaningful discussion going about the school, then some progress may be made. The same people I admire and respect in ASHI seem to exercise their anal sphincter when any question is raised.

I have worked hard, kept my nose clean, been a volunteer, educated and now find ASHI making a fool of me by supporting this scam school. Many very skilled inspectors have been quieted by the school employing them to teach. Don't want to bite the hand that fed you.

Who will respond to this with praise for the school. Other than telling me that it is profitable. So is robbery and mugging.

If ASHI were still the only HI association in the country, wouldn't there be less of a tendency for it to focus on capturing the dollars more so on quality instruction?

How is it that there is only one Realtor association in the country and only one Social Worker (my spouse works in that field) association but over a half dozen for HIs? I don't get the condition that led to this.

Marc

Money is right.

Other professions have schools wherein one learns the trade. No schools in this gig. There's a large number of gerry built vocational programs cranking out bumwads, but no school.

So, folks thought they had to build one, and when they did, they built it in their image.....confused, directionless, and without principles. A real piece of sausage. I recall one of the instigators telling me "we need to get it going and then it will take care of itself", or something like that. Mmmm hmmmm.....

I wrote a long, mildly humorous, and entirely scathing excoriation of the ASHI School a while back, but I lost it in the ether.

I'm pretty sure this has been the same course description at least since 2012.

Shame.

Here are some statements from ASHI big shots I have seen in the last couple of years:

From Eric Barker (served on the ASHI Standards of Practice Committee, the Council of Representatives and currently on the national Board of Directors)

"To find out if mold is a problem in your home, you MUST have a mold inspection conducted by your inspector."

From Dan Howard, ASHI National Public Relations Committee Chairman:

"This is not a new problem. The first written mention of mold in a home is in the Bible, Leviticus 14:33-45 Cleansing from Defiling Molds. Mold was an important health issue in Biblical times and it is an important health issue today."

From Jack McGraw, Director of the ASHI school:

"Testing for mold, ". (is) among air quality issues usually addressed by home inspectors."

This problem with the ASHI school reminds me of a local problem here in Louisiana where education has sunk to the level where the most successful venders of CE classes are the one with the lowest cost per credit hour. The topics are simply rehashed previous courses that are taught again and again. Few learn anything but that's what's selling here.

Lately, I've been supporting venders of quality CE classes by attending their classes, even long after my CE needs are met, because otherwise quality CE will vanish.

Our Board won't put forth the effort to find a way to specify quality so that it can be regulated.

Marc

I'm pretty sure this has been the same course description at least since 2012.

Shame.

Someone else said something like that and I'm sure you're both right. I'd forgotten.

I think the school was spun off by ASHI and it now has a life of it's own, albeit with an ASHI interdependent relationship of which I don't know the details.

My best hope is that it will slither along for a while and then crawl off somewhere to die.

There's nothing else to say.

If high-ranking ASHI members/officers are now participating in the mold scam the association has lost its soul and the association, as well as those supposedly ethical officers, is no longer credible as far as I'm concerned.

I used to rail at ASHI because they'd looked the other way for three decades while the realtors and lots of so-called reputable inspectors continued on with their wink-and-nod arrangements. It pissed me off that the one voice in the profession that could have kept this gig on the straight and narrow sat by and did nothing. When I spoke out against ASHI for it, I was excoriated by folks in this gig that I know and love. Unable to make a dent in that mindset, I quit ASHI and never looked back.

Now I know I made the right choice.

As far as I'm concerned all of those clubs are morally bankrupt.

Hi Mike, kinda ironic that the banner between your last post and my typing this says:

Mold Inspection And Removal

Find Mold Removal Contractors Now. Fast & Free. Enter Your Zip Code!

its a conspiracy ;-)

That adds to the frustration with all the BBs and the advertising links. They randomly pop up when one least expects it. I have a blocker running on my browser so I never/seldom see the advertising.

On another 'independent' HI forum the advertising banners have started to appear "inside" some of the initial posters to any given thread that has been started. I've talked with some other HIs about this and some have signed off or removed themselves from that BB. Reason being is that with a random search a thread could be found and the results could be interpreted as that inspector supporting the advertising that is now "inside" his post.

I've refrained from posting over there mainly because of such.

Here are some statements from ASHI big shots I have seen in the last couple of years:

From Eric Barker (served on the ASHI Standards of Practice Committee, the Council of Representatives and currently on the national Board of Directors)

"To find out if mold is a problem in your home, you MUST have a mold inspection conducted by your inspector."

Thanks for pointing this out Mike. Not remembering ever having said this I fished around and found it in my own website - it is text that my website manager found and inserted. Shame on me for not screening it out. I will have it removed el pronto and give the rest of the text another look. BTW - I'm now off the ASHI Board.

• 4 years later...
On 2/19/2015 at 7:56 AM, kurt said:

Course Description: This mold inspection course is a comprehensive study of mold and moisture damage, and the effects thereof on structures. It is conveyed in a "bump-up" learning environment. Learning begins in an abstract form and then expands into a more formative development of specifics. Part one begins with Mold inspection basics which is a primer that covers: mold's history, types of, health concerns of, requirements for its growth, inspection methods for, sampling and testing of, individual and professional remediation practices.

Next bump-up level is Part two which covers the following: aspects of mold's growth, types, conveyance systems, and discoveries through professional mold remediation practices. It will also cover proper use of PPE (personal protection equipment), safety, learning how to find the Red Flags of moisture intrusion and the theory of associated client Red Flag Symptoms caused by exposure to mold.

Part three is a 4-part system expansion that delves deeper into all aspects of the inspection processes that inspectors will encounter in mold and moisture damage within structures. The culminating enhanced areas will be on use of equipment, sampling and testing, report writing based on findings, and marketing the business of environmental inspection techniques.

Culminating enhanced areas....bump up learning environment......from the abstract to a more formative development of specifics......

Where do we find such men?

This explains why I did my own mold remediation. Cuz Imma boss.