Flashlights - Current recommendations?

Erby

OLight Mx3 Triton

The tailcap switch has outlasted any other brand. It's lasted around a year and a half. I have several flashlights with worn out switches including Fenix, Surefire, Jetbeam etc collecting dust.

I switched over to flashlights using the 18650 Li-ion batteries years ago. I need a flashlight with at least 700 lumens these days.

My son bought me a Fenix UC 30 for my birthday. 960 Lumens, USB charging port, 18650 rechargeable battery included. Very small, powerful light throws a flood pattern, not a spot. Oh and it has a low charge indicator that goes on at 30% charge.

Since January, I've gotten through every inspection except one w/o using a back up light

I have two Streamlight LED Ultra Stingers. Never had to go to the backup due to a low battery. I have a home charger and car charger. Highly recommend them.

I also keep a couple of cheap LED flashlights with built-in magnets in my tool bag ( the ones that they give away at Harbor Freight). Great for hands free light when needed. Also good for handing to a client or a kid if they ask if I have a spare light to see something. I don't care if I forget to get it back or if they damage it.

I have two Streamlight LED Ultra Stingers. Never had to go to the backup due to a low battery. I have a home charger and car charger. Highly recommend them.

I also keep a couple of cheap LED flashlights with built-in magnets in my tool bag ( the ones that they give away at Harbor Freight). Great for hands free light when needed. Also good for handing to a client or a kid if they ask if I have a spare light to see something. I don't care if I forget to get it back or if they damage it.

I got one of those. Must be over 4 yrs old by now. Charger is glitchy now when charging the light but works fine if you're charging just the battery. That's the only problem I've ever had with it. Haven't seen all of it's 9 lives yet.

Marc

OLight Mx3 Triton

The tailcap switch has outlasted any other brand. It's lasted around a year and a half. I have several flashlights with worn out switches including Fenix, Surefire, Jetbeam etc collecting dust.

I switched over to flashlights using the 18650 Li-ion batteries years ago. I need a flashlight with at least 700 lumens these days.

Same. The switch lasted, but my thread stripped out from taking the tailcap off so many times. Mailed the light back to Olight in Cali, two weeks later they sent me a whole new light kit.

I'm going into my third or fourth year with Streamlight Stinger DS LED after retiring my larger Streamlight to the backup. My only wish is that it was more adjustable from a tight spot to a flood setting.

It is a dependable workhorse that lasts the entire day without recharging.

I agree. It is also not as good a weapon as the old light if attacked by a pit bull!

I've been using an Olight M20-X for a few years now. Has not missed a bit.

Me, too. Did buy the M22, but 950 lumens too much, too short a battery. Just upgraded the other day to the M21. 750 lumens versus 550 for the M20. A hopefully good 'tweener. (FYI: M21 is being discontinued; I found two on-line for $82.00 total including shipping; Andrew & Amanda.)

Anybody wanna buy two Olight M22's? One never used, one used for a day.

• 2 months later...

Good thread. I keep going between buying a new one or just keep buying parts for my old Ultra Stinger. I love the on/off button up on the head instead of a tail switch. It's probably the only reason I'm still using my old Ultra Stinger.

FYI- My LED Ultra Stinger still has the switch near the head, not on the tail. I only bought the flashlights because the old chargers are the same.

on Amazon:

Streamlight 75760 Stinger LED HP Flashlight without Charger, Black

Yeah, I like the switch near the head too, within quick reach of my thumb. My Streamlight Stinger LED HP is now 5 1/2 years old. Never had a problem except to replace the battery once (problem with intermittent charge function was fixed in ten seconds once I figured out what it was). Just bought a Streamlight Stinger HPL (current equivalent of Stinger LED HP) for redundancy.

Marc

Good thread. I keep going between buying a new one or just keep buying parts for my old Ultra Stinger. I love the on/off button up on the head instead of a tail switch. It's probably the only reason I'm still using my old Ultra Stinger.

As I live and breathe ... a voice from the past. Good to see that you are back kicking about inspecting.

Been a long time since we have talked.

At least you don't have to deal with the TREC up in Oklahoma!!

Hey Nolan!

Good to see that you're still above ground and kicking. You were actually on my list to shout out to and see what's been going on. But with trying to get everything up and running, plus dealing with FEMA and SBA over the flood I had on Memorial Day, things have been chaotic!

Yeah, it's been nice evaluating report software. But the more programs I look at, the more I'm still liking Whisper. Will probably end up buying it in the future.

Right after I decide whether to keep rebuilding my Ultra Stinger or spring for a new model...lol

Donald

As I live and breathe ... a voice from the past. Good to see that you are back kicking about inspecting.

Hey Nolan!

Good to see that you're still above ground and kicking. You were actually on my list to shout out to and see what's been going on. But with trying to get everything up and running, plus dealing with FEMA and SBA over the flood I had on Memorial Day, things have been chaotic!

Yeah, it's been nice evaluating report software. But the more programs I look at, the more I'm still liking Whisper. Will probably end up buying it in the future.

Right after I decide whether to keep rebuilding my Ultra Stinger or spring for a new model...lol

Donald

I'm sure you were using Whisper Reporter and they (Larry & Eric) have done a lot with the APP. I just got an update the other day with some minor modifications/tweaks. They are also working on a complete new version, but they have not indicated a time frame yet for release. I'm hoping I might get a beta to do some testing with.

As you know it is so very flexible to build whatever report template/layout you want. That is one of the items I like about it. I had developed some templates for other things that didn't have anything to do with inspections ... it is just easy to work with.

Good to hear from you.