What Type of Reporting Method Do You Use?

Now that brings up another topic... even though one is licensed to use boiler written by someone else is that person perpetrating the illusion of being the author by including it in his/her report?

Yes, unless you include a disclamer along with your report.

I do believe though that you are purchasing the copy right to do so.

Thanks,

Craig[:-tophat]

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chad, Is the snow higher than your roof yet?

Hi Bill,

We're not right in that nasty belt that buried Mexico (the town of) Fulton and Oswego. They're all 60-100 miles east and north of of where we are. I'd say we had 30 inches of snow in the past 10 days or so...but it has been darn cold.

As for being honored if someone used your contribution here, rest assured I've used what I've learned from you more than once and I sounded really smart. Funny, your name didn't come up in my report.

Hi Chad,

My sincere apologies if you felt I somehow intended that comment for you.

Copy/Paste does not satisfy either of those concepts,

That was not the case at all. It was actually intended for any who might be new or just looking for some clarification. The explosive use of the WWW as a research tool has, unfortunately, not been accompanied by a corresponding push to maintain ethics regarding the use of the vast amount of information found there (although I do see some progress being made). There is a whole crop of young folks coming out of school (high school and college alike) who don't seem to comprehend the difference between repeating a concept and out-right plagiarism.

Again, I don't believe that applies at all to you, or the process that you have described, and apologize for any implication of such.

[:-paperba

Glad to hear that you're not having to tunnel out of your house with a spoon right now! [:-slaphap

• 4 weeks later...

In my personal opinion, it is hard to justify the inspection fee very convincingly, if the report is delivered on site; because then the client knows exactly how many hours you worked in the process.

If however one delivers the report, after you come away (say over night or so) then one can imagine that your time input was much more than just the hours you were inspecting. Not to mention all the other reasons that others have written for not delivering on site.

If I have time (which I usually I do not) then I use it to start the process on my laptop.

The other reason is that it limits the number of inspections you can do in a day.

Last but not the least important is that if you give reports on site, then the agents expect it every time there after, and it is hard to go back to delivery later on.

That is how I feel, about not delivering on site.

Happy inspecting!!!

Further on report delivery ...

I just booked an inspection for Monday morning. Client was hoping for "on-site" delivery of report and I advised that my scheduled time at the property was for the "inspection" and "data collection" and sharing with him at the end of that time. I elaborated it was not in either of our best interests to add more time to the on-site visit waiting for a report.

Agent called me later and said he has been spoiled with some inspectors who deliver on-site. I've known this agent for some time and said to him what I told the client above ... and that the liability that I assume with an inspection involves a careful analysis and a report that is written very good.

I told him that a lot of the onsite deliveries are close to check-box and cut/paste or delete/paste with generics and may not be as thorough as he seems.

An interesting conversation for a Saturday evening ... regardless I have the job !! AND both the client and the agent will be impressed with my product.

And ... I'll be able to sleep at night !

• 4 weeks later...

I use pocket word on my ipaq handheld to take my notes during the inspection; however, I do not use an inspection program. My reports are narrative and are emailed out to my clients in the evening. Pictures are emailed with the report in a separate .zip file. I should embed the pictures within the report; however, my clients usually know what I am referring to since I give them a verbal report as well as point out the noted problems at the end of the inspection. I typically only edit the photos and label them if there are additional questions after the report is read.

• 2 months later...

I confess that the thought of a technological meltdown on-site concerns me. If the Palm or what ever other computing device in use failed, what then? How is the investment in technology supported by the meager fees we generally charge? For those that have been using laptops etc., how often are software upgrades necessary, and at what cost? It looks attractive in some regards, this use of technology. But it seems that there are hidden shortcomings as well. Has anybody actually calculated their cost per report using technology vs. forms and narratives?

• 2 weeks later...

For years our Company used a combination checklist / written style report, completed and delivered on site. This system enabled us to complete as many as four inspections per day, per person, with no office time.

With pressure from the industry, we were forced to ( change with the times ).

We now use a drastically modified version of an Inspection Report from a well known vendor.

Now......2 - 2 1/2 hours on the job, then an additional two hours in the office

That's a total of 4 to 4 1/2 hours job time, for a job that previuosly only took half that amount. This also means you can only do a couple jobs per day.

More time...fewer jobs...means less money

If we can ever find a system that can get us back in the field and not sitting in an office typing, we would change yesterday.

Kudos to the person or persons that introduced these demons to our industry.

Originally posted by russ myers

For years our Company used a combination checklist / written style report, completed and delivered on site. This system enabled us to complete as many as four inspections per day, per person, with no office time.

With pressure from the industry, we were forced to ( change with the times ).

We now use a drastically modified version of an Inspection Report from a well known vendor.

Now......2 - 2 1/2 hours on the job, then an additional two hours in the office

That's a total of 4 to 4 1/2 hours job time, for a job that previuosly only took half that amount. This also means you can only do a couple jobs per day.

If we can ever find a system that can get us back in the field and not sitting in an office typing, we would change yesterday.

Kudos to the person or persons that introduced these demons to our industry.

Russ...sounds exactly like what I went through. Still am. I like to turn out quality reports, as you do. Gets me business. One thing I did...I raised my prices (admittedly gradually...with much prodding by Kurt) by about 75% to compensate for my time. People pay for quality.

(Hey....I just did a job at 2931 Pine Grove...can ya stand it!?)

Originally posted by russ myers

That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Only if you don't charge enough.

Russ...sounds exactly like what I went through. Still am. I like to turn out quality reports, as you do. Gets me business. One thing I did...I raised my prices (admittedly gradually...with much prodding by Kurt) by about 75% to compensate for my time. People pay for quality.

Yes, they do. Couple rules.....

1) Don't charge less for condos; charge full scale single family prices.

2) When telling folks prices, you have to believe it. Humans can tell when someone is waffling. Hit them w/the big price, no apologies. If you believe it, they will too.

(Hey....I just did a job at 2931 Pine Grove...can ya stand it!?)

Hey, I can't do 'em all. What did you charge? Heh, heh......

I wish there was pressure like that around here.

Some of the checklist reports I've seen here are so light on information that it's hard to believe that someone actually pays someone else money to produce them, instead of just downloading a checklist off the internet and walking through the house and inspecting it themselves.

The zoids love those types of reports, but not the buyers. Just had a call from a realtor from a job I did last week. The couple walked based on my report. According to the realtor, whose been going around with them looking at houses this week, they were blown away by the scope of the inspection and the amount of information that they'd gotten out of the process. She said that they told her that they've bought and sold two houses before and the difference this time around is like night and day.

When you think about it, if most folks in this profession were really doing consistent inspections, providing buyers with everything they needed in the way of information, and producing really informative reports, there'd be a whole lot less negative things said about this business and we could all charge more money for what we do, instead of letting the low-ballers, bucketheads and 'zoids determine what the average fees should be in our respective areas.

I've stopped worrying about what I charge. So far this year, I've grossed nearly twice what I did last year with only about a 15% increase in the number of inspections. I charge what I think I should be getting paid - not what a realtor thinks I should be getting paid or what those looking for the cheapest inspector think they're willing to pay.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm new here and hopefully not the only Insurance Inspector. Field notes are taken on site, of course, then back to the home office and use online forms for submitting my report/photos.

Am I in the wrong type of forum? Are you all home inspectors?

Kirk

• 3 weeks later...

I deliver on-site if requested, most cases after a couple hundred pics and a coffe at the local wifi spot I can put it together before I need to be at my afternoon inspection, an upload to my site and an email on how to get it and were done . Also I do give a report holder on site with added information and some goodies that the clients can use.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I take notes in the field with a voice recorder and produce my report with HomeGuage when I get back to my office. Since I don't have all the answers in my head yet, research is occasionally required. I upload the reports to my website. It would be easier to email the reports, but I want the clients and agent to see my website.

A Realtor phoned me a while back looking for an inspector who would deliver the report on-site. I patiently explained how I thought I could write a better report after the inspection and it would still be available on the same day. She said that wasn't good enough because it would cause her to have to meet her clients one more time to discuss the inspection. I asked her if she realized how lazy she sounded. Haven't heard from her since.