What Type of Reporting Method Do You Use?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. My experience with a hand held and 3D was not good. This has been years back mind you. I took way too long to click through to where I want to be in the program; never mind typing a comment. I work off of a laptop acting as a hub. Inspect a little and type a little. Other than importing photos and any lengthy narratives, the report is done when I leave.

I toyed with the idea of a touch screen but being the frugal man I am, I opted for a more powerful laptop and a much lower price tag. I've also ditched the bulky tool belt. One pouch with several three light testers and the camera. When my FENIX TK15 arrives the belt will no longer have the weight of the Streamlight on it. I'm already enjoying not having to do the HI dance around furniture in a tight room! I don't know how I'd feel lugging a computer around with me.

Don't consider the pros much. Focus and think though all of the con to each method of data input and you will be able to make a choice that hopefully will be the right one for you.

I believe the secret to a PDA touchscreen is making certain that anything that comes up on a daily or weekly basis need not be constructed through a series of touches. Such common finds should be a complete and concise statement describing the defect or deficiency and merely needing the location to be added. Then, you can blaze through a home.

I've only converted to software in the last year or so, because it is so slow compared to a detailed paper form, but that being said, I've come to realize that software is all about making certain that you don't waste a move in dropdowns when it's a condition you see often. Common observations should only take two or three taps to contruct - more and you're wasting time...

Interesting. My experience with a hand held and 3D was not good. This has been years back mind you. I took way too long to click through to where I want to be in the program; never mind typing a comment. I work off of a laptop acting as a hub. Inspect a little and type a little. Other than importing photos and any lengthy narratives, the report is done when I leave.

I toyed with the idea of a touch screen but being the frugal man I am, I opted for a more powerful laptop and a much lower price tag. I've also ditched the bulky tool belt. One pouch with several three light testers and the camera. When my FENIX TK15 arrives the belt will no longer have the weight of the Streamlight on it. I'm already enjoying not having to do the HI dance around furniture in a tight room! I don't know how I'd feel lugging a computer around with me.

Don't consider the pros much. Focus and think though all of the con to each method of data input and you will be able to make a choice that hopefully will be the right one for you.

I believe the secret to a PDA touchscreen is making certain that anything that comes up on a daily or weekly basis need not be constructed through a series of touches. Such common finds should be a complete and concise statement describing the defect or deficiency and merely needing the location to be added. Then, you can blaze through a home.

I've only converted to software in the last year or so, because it is so slow compared to a detailed paper form, but that being said, I've come to realize that software is all about making certain that you don't waste a move in dropdowns when it's a condition you see often. Common observations should only take two or three taps to contruct - more and you're wasting time...

I agree but only to a degree. I use default (already selected) comments for the required items, locations for utility disconnects and a few other things but having defects, no matter how common, set up as defaults is flirting with disaster IMO. I could live with making a mistake with not correcting the location of a water meter but not failing to "remove a defect" from the report.

I haven't reviewed the entire thread for mention of it but I'm coming of the opinion that a lot of inspectors could quicken their report writing speed and improve it's quality by simply taking typing lessons. Charlie's right. Got to do some custom work on at least some entries on just about every report. I envy those who can type without looking at the keyboard. Look at our editor's posts. Sometimes very long but well constructed and flows as smoothly as a creek. Speed makes it quick.

Marc

I envy those who can type without looking at the keyboard. Look at our editor's posts. Sometimes very long but well constructed and flows as smoothly as a creek. Speed makes it quick.

Marc

It's sad, but to this day the most valuable class I ever took in college was typing (not to be confused with my "thumbing". Architecture and Engineering science was - helpful. The rest - Eh...

It's sad, but to this day the most valuable class I ever took in college was typing (not to be confused with my "thumbing". Architecture and Engineering science was - helpful. The rest - Eh...
Same here Mike, but I go all the way back to high school. I took two quarters my senior year. It was a lot of fun and the best thing I ever took as an elective in high school.

Same here Mike, but I go all the way back to high school. I took two quarters my senior year. It was a lot of fun and the best thing I ever took as an elective in high school.Whenever I went into Radio Shack and the sales assistant would ask (for the billionth time) for my address and proceed to enter it with two fingers, I thought my head would explode. I found myself always resisting the strong urge to say, "Get away from that keyboard and let me get this done! I've got places to go..." [:-banghea

But, the Barney in me always let the guy waste a few minutes of my existance.. [:-graduat

• 4 weeks later...

I review the report onsite with the customer then they get thier choice of printed onsite or on a 1 GB Memory stick (PDF file). The customers love the memory stick. I have my logo printed on them and they cost about the same as putting together a binder and printed report. 99% take the memory stick.

I use my small tough book & Palm tech 6 on site to do my report & take lots of pictures, i return to office & go over pictures & review the report on my laptop, then merge the pictures into a picture file & email the report in a pdf format, i did the handwritten when i first started & felt more comfortable, but doing the report on site with a small lap top saves lots of time.

There's really no debate here. Computer printed reports done ON-SITE are the only true professional way to handle this, and here's why...

If the Inspector leaves the property to compile the data and misses something, he can either lie, guess, skip it, or try to see it off of the pictures he took. If he's building the report on-site, he can simply walk back inside. If the report is e-mailed to the client, the client is left, alone, to try and figure out the report. They hired the inspector because they do not have the skill set to know these things on their own. If the report is built on-site, the Inspector can do a walkthru with the client to show them everything in the report, and answer questions.

Yes, it's much easier to built the report back in the office, feet up, shoes off, cold drink in hand. One eye on the report, the other eye on the game. Hit send, DONE. Time for another cold drink.

It's much harder to sit in the truck, printer plugged into the power inverter, you're twisted sideways typing on the laptop, inserting pictures from the memory card, but it serves the client better. You can walk back into the house, hand the client a finished report in a binder, and go over it step by step until they fully understand what you've found.

It's the right thing to do. After all, we are supposed to be professionals.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201112692542_A1%20Photos%20017.jpg

63.96 KB

There's really no debate here. Computer printed reports done ON-SITE are the only true professional way to handle this, and here's why...

If the Inspector leaves the property to compile the data and misses something, he can either lie, guess, skip it, or try to see it off of the pictures he took. If he's building the report on-site, he can simply walk back inside. If the report is e-mailed to the client, the client is left, alone, to try and figure out the report. They hired the inspector because they do not have the skill set to know these things on their own. If the report is built on-site, the Inspector can do a walkthru with the client to show them everything in the report, and answer questions.

Yes, it's much easier to built the report back in the office, feet up, shoes off, cold drink in hand. One eye on the report, the other eye on the game. Hit send, DONE. Time for another cold drink.

It's much harder to sit in the truck, printer plugged into the power inverter, you're twisted sideways typing on the laptop, inserting pictures from the memory card, but it serves the client better. You can walk back into the house, hand the client a finished report in a binder, and go over it step by step until they fully understand what you've found.

It's the right thing to do. After all, we are supposed to be professionals.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201112692542_A1%20Photos%20017.jpg

63.96 KB

You must really like your inspection process. I've also typed reports that way, twice I think.

I took a look at your sample home inspection report. I'd be too embarrassed to give that kind of report to any of my clients.

Stick around. Lots to learn around here and learning isn't just for newcomers, it's for everyone.

Marc

Reports prepared On Site While You Wait = You get to sit around with your thumb up your ass waiting for me to type all this crap up.

You might want to proofread your sample report. Things like the Structure section that says it's solid masonry wall in the observations and wood frame brick veneer wall in the description.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011126102432_YuckYuck.jpg

25.76 KB

Though I'm sure the Realtors love this on the Realtor page of your website: "I even have some treats for your break room."

Stick around. You can learn a lot here. But get a thick skin. It ain't for the faint of heart!

Hi Eric,

For my first 5 years I inspected houses, I printed out on- site reports as well. I slowly realized it wasn't the way to go, and am frankly embarrassed by the quality of my old reports.

I was curious as to what type of report you put out while on- site, so I spent about 2 minutes scanning what you've got listed as your sample report.

Here's just one section that I think could have been improved upon, had you spent more time writing the report..:

Sloped Roofing

· Repair: Minor repairs to the roofing are needed. Damaged shingles around Electrical Mast should be repaired which is

causing staining to gable wood underneath. All roof penetrations should be examined and sealed as necessary, as the

Ridge Vents on garage are loose and need to be re-nailed. Wood staining under garage ridge vents was noticed.

I looked at the electrical mast picture shown at the bottom of your report. Not only are shingles damaged, but the flashing is not properly installed. So is the leakage in the area due to the damaged shingles, improperly integrated flashing, the large gap in between the mast and flashing or a combination of the above?

You've been to college, and you likely took plenty of English/ writing classes such as writing 121, technical writing, etc. What I am getting at, is that I am sure that you can read your own report and see plenty of areas that could use some improvement.

You've jumped onto this site and said that 90+ percent of the inspectors are unprofessional because we don't print out inspection reports on site. Wow.

The thing about on-site reporting and multiple inspections per day (someone above mentions three) that bothers me is this: what happens when you encounter a property that needs more time than budgeted? (Several recent REO nightmares come to mind).

Hard to believe that anyone is going to postpone/cancel the next inspection, seems to me what is going to happen is the the inspector is going to triage, hit high liability items, "do the best job they can", and move on to the next inspection.

Likely, the resulting inspection is "good enough" in the sense the the client will be made aware of major issues and the inspector's liability will not be greatly increased - and perhaps the inspection was "good enough" compared to the competition that the client received reasonable value for the money. And likely, the client will be unaware that under other circumstances they would have received a "better" inspection from the same inspector.

But speaking just for myself, I would sure hate to have insufficient time to complete my normal inspection routine without cutting corners, plus the pressure of having a client standing there tapping their feet while I finished the report for on-site delivery, worrying all the while about the traffic between this inspection and the next one as the clock ticked on.

YMMV.

The thing about on-site reporting and multiple inspections per day (someone above mentions three) that bothers me is this: what happens when you encounter a property that needs more time than budgeted? (Several recent REO nightmares come to mind).

Hard to believe that anyone is going to postpone/cancel the next inspection, seems to me what is going to happen is the the inspector is going to triage, hit high liability items, "do the best job they can", and move on to the next inspection.

Likely, the resulting inspection is "good enough" in the sense the the client will be made aware of major issues and the inspector's liability will not be greatly increased - and perhaps the inspection was "good enough" compared to the competition that the client received reasonable value for the money. And likely, the client will be unaware that under other circumstances they would have received a "better" inspection from the same inspector.

But speaking just for myself, I would sure hate to have insufficient time to complete my normal inspection routine without cutting corners, plus the pressure of having a client standing there tapping their feet while I finished the report for on-site delivery, worrying all the while about the traffic between this inspection and the next one as the clock ticked on.

YMMV.

I used to have that problem. Then one day I decided not to do more than one a day. I've figured out what I need to make per hour on a report in order to make a fair wage while doing one inspection a day and that's what I charge. No more running around watching my watch, trying to calculate which way I need to drive to the next job in order to avoid traffice, etc., etc..

If folks think I'm too high, they can hire one of the 2 to 3 houses a day guys for less. My feelings won't be hurt.

It seems to be working. Realtor referrals have dropped off to almost nothing, work referred word-of-mouth by former clients is way up and I've been staying fairly steady through most of the recession - even when others around here were complaining that business was in the toilet.

I've done the report on site gig. It worked well with two inspectors on site but not-so-well with only myself there. I found myself torn between writing a proper description and observation and cutting it to the bone so that I wouldn't keep the folks standing there fretting for an unreasonable amount of time. I didn't like the results and felt that what I turned out was not as "professional" as what I prepare after I leave.

I don't buy the argument that if I've forgotten something I can go back insdie to look at it again. One simply needs to develop one's inspector vision, learn to take in and remember what one sees and one doesn't need to do anything but look at something one time. Besides Eric, you obviously are good with a camera, utilize the thing.

I want to create my Inspections in the year 2525 scenario now. Once I've got that put together, on-site reporting could be done both thoroughly and professionally without causing folks to have to wait around for me to get done and with the added assurance that they've had, not one, but two inspectors look at the house.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

You might want to proofread your sample report. Things like the Structure section that says it's solid masonry wall in the observations and wood frame brick veneer wall in the description.

hee hee hee......

"After all, we are supposed to be professionals."

I'm so glad someone has found one thing in this biz that's beyond debate.....delivering reports on site.

FTR, I haven't delivered a report on site in 17 years.

I think we have another fellow who's discovered the business, is sure they have it all figured out, and they're going to enlighten us on how to do it......Next......

hee hee hee......

"After all, we are supposed to be professionals."

I'm so glad someone has found one thing in this biz that's beyond debate.....delivering reports on site.

FTR, I haven't delivered a report on site in 17 years.

I think we have another noob who's discovered the business, is sure they have it all figured out, and they're going to enlighten us on how to do it...........Next........

Yeah, it's difficult to engender much tolerance for a noodge with one lifetime post lecturing us about professionalism. Next, indeed.