Raised stair nosing

• 2 months later...
On 7/11/2018 at 6:42 PM, Jim Katen said:

If it's installed on every step, then the risers will all be the same height (assuming that the carriages are cut properly). What's on the line about it? 

Maybe the height of the riser has been altered, now exceeding max permissible? As the carriages were probably cut for the original flooring plan, depending on the flooring types at the top and bottom of the stairway, those first and last riser measurements may now be different...

I know I'm reviving a older thread but I really don't care for this nosing 'technique' for several reasons (not clean looking, my large feet have tripped on these raised edges traveling down stairs, and I typically find laminate to be quite slippery) and am hoping to find support/justification. Thanks

Edited by ejager
Realized how old the post was...

If the risers are too high, then that would be wrong. Likewise, if the top and bottom steps are the wrong heights, that would be wrong, just like they are in 99% of the stairs that I look at. But these have nothing to do with the product. They have to do with misuse of the product. 

These are not a "technique," they're an approved, manufactured product and part of a flooring system. The manufacturer directs you to install them this way. 

I'm not a fan of the product either (I'm not a fan of most crappy building products out there), but I don't see them as a significant hazard. Heck, when I walk up & down stairs that are covered with plastic laminate, the little raised edges are annoying, but they do help to prevent my feet from slipping off the edge. Personally, I'd rather have them than not have them. (By the way, the lips are nowhere near 3/8", they're more like 1/8".)

If you all want to orchestrate a unified rebellion against something, make it something that's truly horrid like sunken living rooms, boob lights, or, heaven forbid, stenciled inspirational quotations on walls. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2018 at 9:45 PM, Jim Katen said:

...If you all want to orchestrate a unified rebellion against something, make it something that's truly horrid like sunken living rooms, boob lights, or, heaven forbid, stenciled inspirational quotations on walls... 

OK...I'll bite. I know it's an old thread but I haven't visited in quite a while. That said, I just HAVE to know just what the horrid "boob lights" are that you refer to. Do they sag? Have some sort of stretch marks? Point in semi-random directions? Are they present in oddly mismatched pairs?

2 hours ago, AHI in AR said:

OK...I'll bite. I know it's an old thread but I haven't visited in quite a while. That said, I just HAVE to know just what the horrid "boob lights" are that you refer to. Do they sag? Have some sort of stretch marks? Point in semi-random directions? Are they present in oddly mismatched pairs?

Ahem. 

Barry posted perfect examples of the offending fixtures rendered in oiled bronze. These things seem to have appeared in the '80s (like most horrible house products) and have just about taken over the I-can't-decide-what-kind-of-fixture-I-want-but-I-have-to-install-something-so-I'll-just-install-the-cheapest-piece-of-crap-that-I-can-find niche. 

I'm ashamed to say that I have one installed in my very own, personal house. Every time I walk under it, I can feel my soul being sucked up into it. 

9 hours ago, Jim Katen said:

I'm ashamed to say that I have one installed in my very own, personal house. Every time I walk under it, I can feel my soul being sucked up into it. 

I think I can help, Jim. Your problem is that you only have one but they are intended to be placed in pairs. Bad feng shui. 

• Like 1

unabashed drift

i refer to such as 3b decor...usually gets their attention

big box boring

then there's the other side, oh so shi-shi chic trash decor

i'm a "garbage is my friend" type & am not ashamed to admit it & have made numerous creations that others have wanted enough that i've let them have for the right amount of swap or $s persuasion

but this tire-lite borders on hideous 

now i'm inspired to clean up an old set of mudders & a really damaged chandelier & think 4~8 keyless would be a better choice of luminary or maybe wrapped in rope light...any color preferences?

upcycled-tires-recycling-ideas-interior-

Edited by BADAIR

6 hours ago, BADAIR said:

unabashed drift

i refer to such as 3b decor...usually gets their attention

big box boring

then there's the other side, oh so shi-shi chic trash decor

i'm a "garbage is my friend" type & am not ashamed to admit it & have made numerous creations that others have wanted enough that i've let them have for the right amount of swap or $s persuasion

but this tire-lite borders on hideous 

now i'm inspired to clean up an old set of mudders & a really damaged chandelier & think 4~8 keyless would be a better choice of luminary or maybe wrapped in rope light...any color preferences?

upcycled-tires-recycling-ideas-interior-

Brickwork on the ceiling?

Edited by Marc