Caulking between Hardie planks

Mike Lamb

Well, hopefully the caulk is not a replacement for the butt flashing behind the siding. Water will get behind siding somehow regardless. Hardie does recommend caulking next to window/door trim etc. So caulking failure is inevitable.  Jerry may be more spot on as far as a cosmetic concern.

IMG_1222.JPG

18 hours ago, Mike Lamb said:

Well, hopefully the caulk is not a replacement for the butt flashing behind the siding. 

For the first 15 years or so, caulk was, indeed, to be used in lieu of flashing. 

A clean, tight butt joint always looks better than a caulked one - even before the caulk failure sets in. 

You do realize that the siding in your picture is not a Hardie product, right?  

5 hours ago, Jim Katen said:

For the first 15 years or so, caulk was, indeed, to be used in lieu of flashing. 

A clean, tight butt joint always looks better than a caulked one - even before the caulk failure sets in. 

You do realize that the siding in your picture is not a Hardie product, right?  

I'm pretty sure it is cement board and not LP. I did not think put a knife into it to check. I use Hardie Specs for installation If I think it is cement board. Might this be Certainteed cement board?

Tom might be right. I suppose it could be LP.

Edited by Mike Lamb

Yup.  Caulking looks like crap after a while and will inevitably leak.  Nothing beats the flashing behind the siding.  It lets the planks, flashing and attaching structure sit tightly together while improving overall ventilation of the siding.  If any moisture finds its way behind the siding, it can evaporate quicker and be evacuated more effectively, minimizing mold and/or rot conditions.  

On 2/15/2020 at 4:18 PM, Mike Lamb said:

Well, hopefully the caulk is not a replacement for the butt flashing behind the siding. Water will get behind siding somehow regardless. Hardie does recommend caulking next to window/door trim etc. So caulking failure is inevitable.  Jerry may be more spot on as far as a cosmetic concern.

IMG_1222.JPG

That's LP smart side, not hardiplank. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...