Posting image.

I'm about 2/3 of the way thru home inspection school. I've come up with a logo that I'm seeking comment on. That is, do you think it looks pleasant enough or too sinister? I'll admit it, I'm not too computer savvy. I just bought a Compaq Presario computer using Windows. How do I post it to this site? Thanks.

Save it in your "my pictures" file as a jpeg or gif image. Make sure it's less than 100 Kb and the name doesn't have any spaces or special symbols in it. In other words Maple Street House (Byers) should be something like MapleStreetHouse_Byers. Make your post and then click on the upload file icon below the message box (This is only under the reply to topic box not the quick reply box). Click the "browse" button and then navigate to the image on your computer. With the Compaq it's Drive C, documents, my pictures. Click on the photo and the file will load to the image upload box. Click the download button and wait for the software to tell you it's been successful. Close the box and it will be there in your mesage box.

At that point, we can open it in a separate window, or, if you want to display the image on your post, go to the box over the message box and click on the image icon. This will place the HTML image codes below your post. Highlight the entire URL in the file you've just uploaded, cut it and paste it between the two halves of the code and delete what remains of the code used to upload the file. Submit your post and the photo will be displayed there. Practice it on the practice forum a couple of times to get it down before you try to actually do it with a post that you take the time to write. It's less frustrating to learn it that way than to type a post and then try to include the document and see it go bye-bye if you botch something up.

Oh, if you don't have an image resizer in your photo program go to the microsoft powertoys for Windows site and grab their free image resizing tool. Takes about 10 seconds to upload and then resizing is as simple as saving the photo, right clicking on it, choosing the size you want and then clicking ok. Then you need to rename the resized image by removing any parentheses or special symbols and ensuring there aren't any spaces before you attempt to upload it to TIJ.

Hope this helps.

(I can just feel Mike Brown cringing as he reads the above, because there's probably a way to do it in 1/3 as many steps. Being a total computer moron I don't know what they are and probably wouldn't understand if he told me what to do.)

Now go back to that post, click the 'edit' icon above it and look at what I did to make the image display in the post. I just cut the url for the image out of the code and stuck the html code for an image on each end of it so that it would display in the post.

(Brian G. I hope you're paying attention to all of this.)

Kewl color scheme by the way.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Based on the last few inspection I did, the local agents would be calling me "Flashing Yellow Light Home Inspection" or in one case"Red Light Home Inspections!"

The other day my clients (a woman about 35-40 years old and her husband) brought her retired father along to see the house. Half-way through the inspection he pulled me aside and begged me to tell his daughter not to buy the house. I told him that I just state the facts and whatever they decide, that is not my function,

I don't think the image evokes any particular feelings, good or bad, but the name might. The general term "green light" is often used to mean "go ahead", sometimes including the clear implication that all is well. "The bomb squad has given us the green light to go back in now", for instance.

A home inspection business might have potential issues from a name that could be interpreted as having a predisposition to "approve" or "disapprove". It would be far safer to have a "disapproving" name in legal terms, but far more business/realtor-friendly to have an "approving" name. Just my thoughts.

Such things do go on. When I was in appraisal I was told of a outfit called Bullseye Appraisal, whose motto was said to be "We hit the target".

Brian G.

Picky As Hell Home Inspections, LLC [:-dev3]

My first impression was very much like Brians;

"A home inspection business might have potential issues from a name that could be interpreted as having a predisposition to "approve" or "disapprove". It would be far safer to have a "disapproving" name in legal terms, but far more business/realtor-friendly to have an "approving" name."

Originally posted by mgbinspect

There's always "Guiding Light" That might be a big hit with the ladies. Wasn't there a soap by that name?[:-slaphap

I think mgb was kidding, but Guiding Light is not too bad. JMHO, but I like it better than Green Light. Your logo looks very good in any case. Did you do it yourself?

Tim

www.rqahomeinspections.com

Hi,

I think searchlight might also work but I don't think that greenlight is necessarily a bad thing.

I think that while home inspectors might misperceive Les's intent I doubt that buyers would. When you think about it, it might actually help him out as a new company, because real estate folks are also liable to think there's some hidden meaning there and will try him out just out of curiosity.

If he's a good inspector, the crooks will lose his number afterward and tell the other crooks not to expect a green light from his inspections. The honest ones and satisfied clients will continue to refer him.

If he's not good word will get around the real estate community that he misses stuff, in which case some crooks will role the dice with him on the off chance they won't be blamed for anything he misses that comes back to bite him, while other crooks who're afraid to gamble, and honest realtors, will see him as anything but a green light.

There'd also be the possibility then of some disappointed client reading into the name of the company and become convinced that he intentionally didn't look very hard for the issues.

It's a tricky one but really it boils down to his skills and integrity over the imagined purpose of his logo. I just don't think anyone that isn't affiliated with real estate or this profession will give it that much thought.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I don't think "Greenlight" necessarily conveys anything negative. After all, the buyer is looking for reassurance from his inspector, so maybe "Greenlight" will actually attract buyers. Also, I think it's different. I can't recall hearing about another "Greenlight Inspections".

I also find the logo acceptable. Although its size and shape might make it difficult to use on things like envelopes and letterhead.

It doesn't do a lot for me. It kinda looks sinister in a way. It reminded me of those old dark, misty cobblestone streets at the Witching hour on the Sherlock Holmes movies. You know, just before someone got their head cut off.

From my informal marketing training, I'd say, too much black. The more I look at it, the more I believe there is way too much black in the logo, it stands out more than anything. Bright colors, especially soft reds, whites and blues, relate good and happy feelings and stimulate positive thoughts from consumers....or at least that's what the marketing folks say.

Did you get that one on GotLogos.com? They'll usually change one logo for you for $10 bucks when you bought their regular $25 logo. Or at least that is what they use to charge years ago.

Greenlight Property Inspection doesn't work for me either. How about GIG = Gongre Inspection Group, Gongre Inspection Services, NWLIS = North West Lousianna Inspection Services, River City Inspections, Les Inspection Services....hmmm wait...scratch the last one...

Don't be in a hurry to decide on a name, it will come to ya eventually. I think you can do better than Greenlight though...

Thanks for the comments. I went to the NACHI website and they have a listing that contains thousands of HI company names. There was only one GreenLight listed. I chose that name because it's pleasant sounding and positive. How could you object to something named "GreenLight?" It gives reassurance to the buyers and the realtors. "Greenlight" conveys safety. Who can be against being safe?

On the logo, I wanted to balance out the positiveness of the GreenLight name by adding a no-nonsense black house.

Les,

I kind of like the color scheme, but it is a little on the dark side. If it was me I would lighten up the house. Keep in mind that the your logo will be more expensive to print because of the three colors.

As for the name "Green Light" it's a heck of allot better than "Red Light".

You need to get over trying to sound pleasant to Realtors. They are not your clients. You will learn that once you have killed a few deals that Realtor who use to call all of the time is using EZ Home Inspections down the street!

Originally posted by Reality

Thanks for the comments. I went to the NACHI website and they have a listing that contains thousands of HI company names. There was only one GreenLight listed. I chose that name because it's pleasant sounding and positive. How could you object to something named "GreenLight?" It gives reassurance to the buyers and the realtors. "Greenlight" conveys safety. Who can be against being safe?

On the logo, I wanted to balance out the positiveness of the GreenLight name by adding a no-nonsense black house.

1. Don't worry about reassuring realtors. They'll either like your work or they won't. The job you do will sift out the poor realtors in a jiffy.

2. "Greenlight Inspections" is a fine name. It's benign, unusual, memorable and it conjures up a nice image.

3. The logo certainly has a sinister air about it. I doesn't convey "no nonsense" if that was your aim. Your own first impression, the one about the house from "Psycho" was right on. Listen to your gut. How about doing the house in tracery instead of a block of black ink?

3. The logo is too static. The house, lamp and lettering are all centered. Put the house and/or the lamp off center to develop a nicer dynamic.

4. Hiring a good graphic artist to develop your logo and printed materials is some of the best money you can spend on your business.

5. Congratulations for not having a frigging magnifying glass in your logo.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim's dead-on about hiring a graphic artist. I had one design my bidness card, along with some other things. The card is simple and subtle, yet it's been the subject of many compliments. The drawing is mine, but the artist chose the colors, font, and layout.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Bain_front.jpg

154.22 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Bain_Back.jpg

73.95 KB

Les, you asked for comments and you got them, here are a few more.

Make the house a shadow not black, it does look evil.[:-dev3]

Green light makes me think of a powered ant poison that I used to buy.

I personally would go with Guiding Light or maybe even Gas Light. Gas Light gives the impression that you have been around a while and like the older homes. Guiding light is closer to what we do. We shed light on the situation and they use that information to guide them in their decision.

I would lose the point on the left side of the house (Hard to tell what it is)and move the light to the left. Move the lettering to the right.

I haven't decided if I like the smoke yet, the reason I mentioned it is it pulled my eyes away from the rest of the logo. I want people to look at my logo and remember my name not the smoke at the chimney.

Thanks for all the comments. To me, the image of the house is "in your face." It sends out a message that the company "means business." Strong, bold, stark, and maybe a little menacing. Then, the pleasant, positive sounding name "GreenLight" softens the effect. I was trying to get away from the idea of a green traffic signal. Too obvious. That's like showing a magnifying glass over a house. I wanted something more original. So I thought, "Why not a yard light emitting green light?" Soft, soothing green light. Anyway, as you've said, everyone sees it differently. I don't know if I'll change anything, but I'll consider all the advice.

If'n you made the house gradate from light to dark, from the center to the outer edges, it would look like the light is illuminating the mysterious house. Just like you will be shedding light on the mysteries in the homes you are inspecting.

I would like to have an animated logo. It shows a real estate agent about to put the "sold" sticker on the sign, when the big Monty Python foot comes down and squashes her. The company slogan: Proudly known as the obstacle to their commission. [}:)]