Strange spot on picture inside an 1833 circa home

Scottpat

The dust spec was floating far enough away from the camera that it reflected the flash. Many of my interior shots are loaded with the same glowing spots.

Having had the pleasure of being retained as an expert witness against "credentialed" paranormal investigators, I'm hoping no one here is going to side with the thousands of whacks that claim they're "spirit energy orbs". [:-ghost] [:-irked]

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

The dust spec was floating far enough away from the camera that it reflected the flash.

But close enough to be out of focus. Rain looks the same way when shot with a flash, except there are usually enough drops for some to be in focus and some to be out.

I gotta get in on that spirit removal business. Less liability and no E & O to pay. [:-witch]

Brian G.

Fools And Their Money..... [:-mischie

Originally posted by Scottpat

. . . When I looked at the photo after I got home I found this opaque ball in the background . . .

What you have there is a nice example of lens flare. Even the best lenses and coatings will often flare when there's a bright light source in the frame. I suspect that it's from the chandelier at the right side of the picture. Bright points of light like this will sometimes cause light to bounce around in unintended paths between the lens elements causing a loss of contrast and the appearance of various spots, streaks or orb-like artifacts.

- Jim Katen, Oregon