Initial office visits with Realtors -what to give

CheckItOut

I'm just starting my business and need something to give out to Realtors when I make an initial office presentation to the whole group. I thought a coffee mug with my biz info on it would be good b/c those sit on desks, Realtors drink coffee (or something like most people) and they generally do not get thrown away too quickly.

Looking for something inexpensive like these mugs at $2 each. Once I return to their offices for a follow up and to drop off cards / flyers, I'd leave something cheap like a pen.

What do you guys think?

Hi JC,

It is knee-jerk for people who start this biz to go see realtors. It is also knee-jerk for people who have been in this biz to say it's a waste of energy to present/sell to realtors.

The only 'footwork' I ever did involved attorneys (and some banks). Attorneys have been an increasing source of business for me - in and of themselves, and their referrals.

The rest just takes time so word of mouth can take off. That (WOM) seems to grow exponentially - especially if someone says something on one of their bulletin boards.

Whatever you do... best of luck!

I am fairly new myself and I worked up a flier and left that with them . In my flier I had a discount coupon. That is a personal choice. Some on this and other boards do not feel that going after the Realtor's is good, but that is also a personal choice. I my self go after only certine realtor's that I beleve are good and are looking out for their clients. There are some good realtor's out there and if you do a good job for your customers, you will eventiually get the WOM clients, but it is not easy and it does take time. As with everything that is good, all things come with time.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

I just talk sex to them. I call it aural sex. I must admit that after I offer it they always seem disappointed and thus far it hasn't brought me any work.

You kill me! I've read a bunch of posts and your vast expanse of vocabulary is impressive and humorous.

Give them the TIJ Water Heater Serial Number Decoder card and tell them to tell the client before you do when the thing needs to be replaced, instead of telling you how pristine the water heater from the crustaceous period works.

I print out both sides on a single piece of card stock and keep a supply of them in my car and hand them out to folks.

Best of all, it's free (after you deduct the cost of your card stock and toner).

Download Attachment: .pdf"]icon_adobe.gif WaterHeaterSerialNumberDecoder3[2].pdf

100.57 KB

• 1 month later...

Ummm, Mike - I believe it's CRETACEOUS period. Not that it matters even a little bit, nor do I get any satisfaction from correcting spelling mistakes (if I did, I might catch some of my own) - but I just justified the 5 years and thousands of dollars I spent studying Geography at university. I can now tell my family that I didn't throw those years away!!!!

-Brad

Originally posted by CheckItOut

I'm just starting my business and need something to give out to Realtors when I make an initial office presentation to the whole group. I thought a coffee mug with my biz info on it would be good b/c those sit on desks, Realtors drink coffee (or something like most people) and they generally do not get thrown away too quickly.

Looking for something inexpensive like these mugs at $2 each. Once I return to their offices for a follow up and to drop off cards / flyers, I'd leave something cheap like a pen.

What do you guys think?

Pardon my cynicism, but they don't give a rat's ass what little gifts an HI brings to them, unless it's, say, $20,000 in cash.

They just want HIs to help them close their deals. No offense to RE agents, but getting rid of obstacles to closing (often via a "pablum" report) is what RE agents have to do to make a living.

In my humble experience, any HI -- plain or fancy, good or evil -- who has to rely on RE agent referrals will have to learn how to suppress his gag reflex, and take the "job" that's given to him, if you know what I mean and I think you do.

The only other option I know is for the HI to brand himself as the knowledgeable go-to guy who is always right, and can back up his findings via reputable sources. An HI can accomplish this branding via newsletters (targeted at RE agents), radio and TV appearances, and print media.

As one might suspect, building a client base this way requires a skill set that's worlds apart from inspecting houses...

WJid="blue">

This is how we have done "it" - give them nothing and make a big deal about giving them nothing. I did not even give real estate agents a business card for 8-9years. They cost me and they are not my client. Never had a listed phone number for 10+ years.

I know you can't do that routine now, but you can learn from it.

Here's a good one.

Download the water heater decoding chart from our downloads section and print the chart out on card stock. Then go down and give them a little class on how to use the chart and read those serial numbers. Then tell them, "Water heaters last between XX and XX years around here. Check out the water heaters in your listings and at homes where your clients intend to make an offer. If you find that one is near or older than the maximum expected service life for this region, expect that you'll have to replace it soon. Don't even try and get it through. Be proactive. Take care of your buyer or seller. Let them know that it'll need to be replaced right away, because any competent inspector is going to flag it. That's one less thing that you'll end up haggling over as a result of an inspection."

Put them to work for you. It's a whole lot easier than getting into a pissing match over a water heater because it's at 200% of it's expected service life, still isn't dripping on the floor, and the seller is acting like a horse's ass with teeth.

I give those things out like they're candy. You'd be surprised how many realtors proudly announce to me how they've 'decoded' the serial number and determined that the water heater is already at or near end of service life.

It's kind of like when you give a 3-light tester to the father-in-law that's always hanging around and put him to work testing receptacles. They get pretty wound up with it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike