SureFire vs. Stinger

randynavarro

I personally am surprised no one discusses the amazing array of LED mag style lights that are out there.I have an 96 LED mag that I use and swear by.The light off an LED is much more natural and helps you see the defects you are attempting to hunt down, much better than a regular bulb light.

A flashlight has a reflector which causes a cone light shadow , where as an LED provides even light .

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

When you guys talk about the mag lite, are you talking about the re- chargeable ones or the standard ones. I still have not seen any other flash light that puts out better light for its size than my re- chargeable Mag.

Brandon...

Rechargeable Mag is 40-some thousand candle-power. Ultra-Stinger is 70-some thousand, at about a third the weight.

Originally posted by Brian G.

Originally posted by Jim Katen

More bright = better.

So Jim, how come you don't use one of those 10 million candle power spotlights the size of someone's head? [;)]

Brian G.

Size Matters Too [:-crazy]

Too big, too heavy. That, plus I'm afraid it'll catch something on fire.

I use a 2-million cp one in crawlspaces though.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

When you guys talk about the mag lite, are you talking about the re- chargeable ones or the standard ones. I still have not seen any other flash light that puts out better light for its size than my re- chargeable Mag.

The stinger is brighter, smaller and lighter than the rechargable Mag.

On the other hand, the Mag is better for beating on pit bulls.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Oh my. Brandon, Brandon, Brandon.

Maglights are great, but they don't hold a candle to SureFire or (I guess) Stingers.

Originally posted by randynavarro

So, I'm still curious. . . I haven't heard from any other SureFire users.

Anyone have a comparison of the SureFire vs. Stinger?

My SureFire is about 5" long and will light up any crawl space or attic from any distance! I don't know the exact CP--don't have the time right now.

I looked into SureFire. Didn't like the run time. It's listed in minutes, not hours. I can't get through an inspection on 3 Stingers. I use 2 XPs on most buildings now.

Then there's the CP comparison. SureFire lists theirs in lumens. Too complicated for me to calculate.

I have a Streamlight with some sort of souped-up LED (Tasklight 2-L). It's only about 6 inches long and holds just 2 li-ion CR123 batteries, but it's entirely sufficient for me and I've never been able to run it down in one day. I have rechargable batteries for it, and wouldn't consider owning any that weren't.

My other must-have light is a multi-LED headlamp for attics and crawls (Princeton's "Corona Tec"). Plenty of light, awesome burn time, rechargeable batteries, and hands-free. I gave out four last Christmas, to rave reviews.

Brian G.

Oh Say Can You See (Worth a Damn) [:-blindfo

My SureFire batteries will last around 15-20 inspections at least. That's because I don't run the light continuously. If I did, then yes, the light will probably only run around 20 minutes.

I use the light in short bursts; 5-10 seconds at a time to check out a window sill, another 5-10 to look in a dark closet corner etc. The battery life is maxed using it this way.

Looks like I may have to get a Stinger and do a real field test comparison.

BTW, I don't use the SureFire in crawls or attics. I use the cheap $29.95 1 million candlepower dealies you can find at Sears and sometimes at the Orange Box.

Alright,

I have 2 re- chargeable Mag Lites and 1 Ultra Stinger Ultra that I bought when I was sold on it from a guy at the counter (tested both at Sportmans Warehouse when I needed another flashlight).

I have used both and have gone back to the Mag.

Must just be personal preference since I used the Mags for several years prior to changing over.

I am going to have to look again, but I think that the newer Mags have upgraded to a higher candle power (new bulb design or something).

WJ POSTED: "Just to throw a curve: I've had the 13-inch-long, 1-pound Streamlight rechargeables last for 10+ years. Replacement batteries are cheap; and, if I recall correctly, Streamlight will refurb old lights to newish condition for about $40.00."

Mag Lites have a lifetime warranty on them and I have had all my past repairs performed for free (even when I offered to pay since I have dropped a couple off roofs and broken the lens-- there is an authorized service center in Portland).

NO- I am not affiliated with Mag-- I hope I can find something better.

I purchased an ultra stinger on EBAY about 5 years ago. $80 to my door. The local cop shop gets my $$ for bulbs and to replace one very wet battery.[:-taped] Never a charge for any other service. Everything but the metal case has been replaced.

I never go back to the dim heavy mag. Unless I forget to charge the ultrastinger.[:-dunce]

Speaking of lighting, has any of you ever used flood lights to inspect an exterior after sundown? I was wondering because of the posibility to accept evening jobs during the winter months when the sun goes down early. I mean some kind of serious battery powered flood light. Something like the one that Dawg the Bounty Hunter uses but maybe with a fluted lense to distrubute the light evenly. Does such a thing even exist? Any ethics or standards of practice issues involved in inspecting exterior after sundown with flood lights?

Originally posted by AHI

Speaking of lighting, has any of you ever used flood lights to inspect an exterior after sundown? I was wondering because of the posibility to accept evening jobs during the winter months when the sun goes down early. I mean some kind of serious battery powered flood light. Something like the one that Dawg the Bounty Hunter uses but maybe with a fluted lense to distrubute the light evenly. Does such a thing even exist? Any ethics or standards of practice issues involved in inspecting exterior after sundown with flood lights?

I can't even fathom the idea of trying to inspect a home at night. Even with flood lights, it is a bad idea. Heck, even on a good sunny day some things are hard to see on a home.