The best rib recipe bar none!

Well, this doesn't have much to do with home inspections however, it does have something to do with something we all have in common - eating! Also, seeing that it approaching the backyard cookout and mosquito season I thought I'd pass this along.

I love to cook, it's a great pastime for me. Nothing like trying a new recipe and seeing how it comes out. The wife and I like to pour a glass of wine and set about on a new taste excursion.

For years, and I mean years, I have been searching for the best rib recipe. I would think that it stretches back to the mid 70's when I first l left home and got a place of my own. My friends use to come over for a cookout in the summer and we use to cook burgers, dogs and ribs on the grill. When I got married and had kids the cookouts turned more family friendly but there was still a lot of smoke and a lot of suds going down.

I have tried smokers, the ones that look like big red dinosaur turds, you know the ones, fired by charcoal and if you turned your back for a minute it was either too hot or too cold. I tried to pressure cook ribs, pale, nasty, stringy looking things that any self respecting dog wouldn't eat (I, however, managed to punch out a few, a lot of barbecue sauce works wonders.) Then came the Crockpot's, meat so tender that it fell off the bone alright, if you could fine the bone that is. It was more of a meat tasting jello. The dog liked this one.

Gas fired grills, charcoal grills, deep pits with Hawaiian girls dancing, I've tried them all.

I have however, found the holy grail of rib cooking methods!

Below is listed a recipe from the Food TV Network. Hat's off to Alton Brown and Good Eats. Enjoy! You're gonna like this one.

Who Loves Ya Baby-Back?

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Recipe Summary

Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes Cook Time: 3 hours 25 minutes

Yield: 2 slabs ribs

2 whole slabs pork baby back ribs

Dry Rub:

8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed

3 tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon jalapeño seasoning

1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning

1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Braising Liquid:

1 cup white wine

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon honey

2 cloves garlic, chopped

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour. In a microwavable container, combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the braising liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer the braising liquid into a medium sauce-pot. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency. Brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the broiler just until the glaze caramelizes lightly. Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions. Place the remaining hot glaze into a bowl and toss the rib portions in the glaze.

*This recipe makes several batches of dry rub. If more rub is needed, it can be extended by any amount, as long as the ratio of 8:3:1:1 remains the same.

Episode#: EA1B14

Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Hah,

You've obviously never had any of my wife's Korean ribs. [:-bonc01]

One of my former troops moved out to the West coast from Michigan and told me that for the last 12 years whenever anyone discussed cooking ribs all he could think about was the time he'd come to my house for dinner and Yung had served up those ribs. Sure wish I knew how she makes 'em, I'd post it here.

However, I am going to try Terry's recipe because I'm a flat-out unadulterated rib hog! I'll let you all know whether it truly is the 'best' bar none. [;)]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Terence McCann

Well, this doesn't have much to do with home inspections however, it does have something to do with something we all have in common - eating! Also, seeing that it approaching the backyard cookout and mosquito season I thought I'd pass this along.

I love to cook, it's a great pastime for me. Nothing like trying a new recipe and seeing how it comes out. The wife and I like to pour a glass of wine and set about on a new taste excursion.

For years, and I mean years, I have been searching for the best rib recipe. I would think that it stretches back to the mid 70's when I first l left home and got a place of my own. My friends use to come over for a cookout in the summer and we use to cook burgers, dogs and ribs on the grill. When I got married and had kids the cookouts turned more family friendly but there was still a lot of smoke and a lot of suds going down.

I have tried smokers, the ones that look like big red dinosaur turds, you know the ones, fired by charcoal and if you turned your back for a minute it was either too hot or too cold. I tried to pressure cook ribs, pale, nasty, stringy looking things that any self respecting dog wouldn't eat (I, however, managed to punch out a few, a lot of barbecue sauce works wonders.) Then came the Crockpot's, meat so tender that it fell off the bone alright, if you could fine the bone that is. It was more of a meat tasting jello. The dog liked this one.

Gas fired grills, charcoal grills, deep pits with Hawaiian girls dancing, I've tried them all.

I have however, found the holy grail of rib cooking methods!

Below is listed a recipe from the Food TV Network. Hat's off to Alton Brown and Good Eats. Enjoy! You're gonna like this one.

Who Loves Ya Baby-Back?

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Recipe Summary

Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes Cook Time: 3 hours 25 minutes

Yield: 2 slabs ribs

2 whole slabs pork baby back ribs

Dry Rub:

8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed

3 tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon jalapeño seasoning

1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning

1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Braising Liquid:

1 cup white wine

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon honey

2 cloves garlic, chopped

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour. In a microwavable container, combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the braising liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer the braising liquid into a medium sauce-pot. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency. Brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the broiler just until the glaze caramelizes lightly. Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions. Place the remaining hot glaze into a bowl and toss the rib portions in the glaze.

*This recipe makes several batches of dry rub. If more rub is needed, it can be extended by any amount, as long as the ratio of 8:3:1:1 remains the same.

Episode#: EA1B14

Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Just a silly question..If you put Kosher Salt on pork ribs does the salt immediately convert to regular salt? I need to call Jerry Seinfeld for this answer.

Mike wrote, "Hah,

You've obviously never had any of my wife's Korean ribs."

Well, I have never had ribs that his wife has prepared, but I have had korean BBQ ribs at our Kuk Sool Won dinners. I have to agree they are the best I have ever eaten... bar none!

Ron

Guys,

This is a professional forum, so let's cut the shuck and jive. I smell a rib-cookin' contest coming on and while I've never cooked 'em, I sure can eat 'em. You'll need a judge and I could use the work.

You guys pick a date that works for you and tell Mike so he can send me a round trip ticket to TIJ World Headquarters and book me a suite at the Sheraton.

You can't go talking about how good your ribs are if you aren't ready to back it up. The First Annual TIJ Rib-Roastin' Title is on the line. (not affiliated with the Biannual IHINA Realtor-Roastin'contest)

It doesn't matter how good the ribs are if the BBQ Sauce is no good.

I've been searching for years for a good BBQ Sauce recipe that isn't full of honey or ketchup. I like a nice strong BBQ sauce. I've got a fair recipe out of the Marlboro cookbook that uses black coffee as a base.

Anyone got a great sauce recipe?

Donald

Sauce is only part of it; if you ain't got good meat to start with, don't waste good sauce on it.

If you got good meat, the cookin' is next most important. I cook mine about 3 hours over a water smoker w/ seasoned black cherry wood. The cherry gives the meat a really nice red tone & it tastes like nothing else.

• 6 years later...