March Madness 2008

It's March again boy and girls, which means we're rapidly coming up on the best post-season tournament in all of sports....The Big Dance. 64 of the best college basketball teams in the country (more or less), fighting it out in a single-elimination tournament for all the marbles. The polls go out the window, no BCS bs to endure, just win or go home; I love it.

My beloved Bulldogs took down the young Florida Gator team today, to clinch the SEC West title for the 4th time in 6 years...pretty damn good. We have a lot of nice pieces, but remain well under the radar. What else is new? I have to mention sophmore Jarvis Varnado, who leads the nation in blocked shots (132, counting the 7 he rejected today). It isn't the best team we've ever had, but it probably is in top 10.

And a big tip of the cap to Douglas Hansen's Stanford Cardinal team, currently #8 in the country. They should go deep into the dance this year, coming out of the loaded PAC-10.

Brian G.

Put on Your Dancing Shoes [:-party]

Brian,

Your enthusiasm can not be matched, especially in Illini land. After reaching the Championship game only a few years ago, and usually dominating the Big Ten Tournament, this year is a complete disaster. First of all the Big Ten decided to start their own network, and the local cable company won't carry it. So I missed over 80% of the action. From what I did see, and from what I read, this team just doesn't have the ability to compete in a 40 minute game in the somewhat water downed (Compared to years past) Big Ten.

Bright side to this, is that the Illini do have (The Great) Michael Jordan's son. Being a true freshman walk-on, he has already shown ability to perform in clutch situations off the bench. I feel he's stepping up to be a future leader of this team that can only get stronger next year.

Being a Bears fan, and a Cubs fan, this is a routine saying for me: "Wait till next year"

Teams I'll be watching - Tennessee, North Carolina, Kansas

Frank

We'll sit this dance out...

Don't feel alone Frank, the SEC is a little off it's usual standard as well. There's Tennessee, a short gap, Vanderbilt, and a longer gap down to the next level (lead by the Bulldogs, in my estimation). Most of our teams are very young right now, but the talent is definitely there. It'll be interesting to see how well our greener teams do in the dance. The experience can only help. [:-propell

Too bad about the Big-10 network. It sounds kinda like the NFL Network mess. They won't agree to let cable companies charge more for adding it, so the cable outfits refuse to carry it. Meanwhile the fans miss games they should have seen. Greed runs amok. [:-vamp]

The Big East has gotten most of the national buzz from what I've seen, but I think the PAC-10 is just as good (maybe better, right now).

My wife is from Illinois, so we root for 'em when we get the chance. [:-jump2]

I saw where some network genius still had MS State as a bubble team today. Hogwash; as many SEC wins as Tennessee, the best defense in the league, and a locked-up division title...we're in. [^]

We get Vandy next, fresh off their loss to Arkansas...whoopee. [:-crazy]

Brian G.

The Finish Line Is in Sight [:P]

Michigan State University.

Rodney Dangerfield of the college basketball world.

The Big Ten Network would have cost us over $100 for the season, so we just went to all the home games instead! I picked up two inspections and one project during half-times.

MSU will be there when the other teams come to play.

Les, what happened to your boys against the Buckeyes? [:-banghea

I can't say much. The Dawgs lost to Vandy in OT, because they barely broke 50% at the charity stripe. 30-30 at the half, 74-74 at the end of regulation, and 84-85 final. One more lousy free throw at any point..... [:-weepn]

The SEC tourny starts Thursday, but the Bullys don't play until Friday night. We get the winner of Florida - Alabama.

Varnado now has 144 blocks, and the team set a new SEC record for blocks in a single season (previously held by Kentucky).

Brian G.

Go Dawgs!!! [:-dog][:-basketb

Time change, 29" snow, three players had the flue, 21 MSU fouls, tight thurs-sunday sched, the wind was out of the west, the moon was in its final quarter, high winds in Tampa,- - - - - etc...

Izzo lives around the corner from me and I swear I could hear him last night when he got home!

Ya know it is a collection of very good players that just never seemed to fully grasp the team concept. They are extremely dangerous when they play together. They play Ohio again this week, so we will see.

Congrats to Les, on his Spartans not-too-pretty win over the Buckeyes today. They move on, while Ohio State goes home to sweat out an NCAA at-large spot in the dance (the odds aren't good).

Les, how much did you pay the refs to call all those second half fouls on Ohio State? [:-dev3][:D][:-dev3]

Brian G.

If an Oregon Player Commits an Infraction, Is It a Fowl Foul? [:P][:-basketb

Even as an avid Spartan, I must admit the second half was a nice gift! The victory had nothing to do with Neitzel shooting long balls. Also, Ohio would be going to the dance if I were a voting member.

Wisconsin is the one I'd like to see stay home! Maybe we will trounce them so badly this afternoon that they will withdraw!

Atlanta sure dodged a bullet last night with the storms. I'm happy no one was seriously injured.

Yeah, the MS State - Bama game was the lead story on SportsCenter last night, but not because of the basketball. Over an hour delay to play the last 2:11 of OT, which the Bullys finally won.

Whew!!! [:-crazy]

And now poor Georgia, who just beat Kentucky with a improbable 3-pointer, will have to play a rested, physical, athletic Mississippi State team tonight (Bulldogs vs Bulldogs, no less). It's not fair. The only reason they don't just push the championship game back to Monday night is the NCAA selection show, but I think the whole thing could wait one more day to keep from screwing a team that had a decent shot. If Georgia doesn't win the tourney, they don't go to The Dance. 'Taint right.

Two big trends stand out in the conference tournaments: high seeds getting beat or pushed to the brink by lesser opponents, and NCAA bubble teams dropping like flies. Apparently those under pressure are feeling it. [:-wiltel]

Brian G.

On to The Dawg Fight (Mike Vick Isn't Invited) [:-fight]

Well, the Big Green Spartans decided to go home early and rest. Les, did you forget to make that deposit in the Old Refs Retirement Fund bank account? [;)]

Congradulations to Kevin's streaky Arkansas Razorbacks. They just knocked off mighty Tenneessee to secure a spot in the SEC finals tomorrow....Dawgs vs Hawgs? [:-basketb

Brian G.

The Ball Do Bounce Funny Sometimes [:-boggled

Well, well, well. Illinois found a way to get into the final game of the Big 10 Tourney? This is a big end to a 14-18 season (5-13 in the big ten). Some think that if they beat Wisconson and win the Tourney, they might have a fraction of a chance to get into the Big Dance.

I'll just wait and see. I'm still out East, and haven't been able to follow any of the Tourney out here.

Frank

We can hear the fat lady warming up, but it's not quite over yet.

Originally posted by fqp25

Well, well, well. Illinois found a way to get into the final game of the Big 10 Tourney? This is a big end to a 14-18 season (5-13 in the big ten). Some think that if they beat Wisconson and win the Tourney, they might have a fraction of a chance to get into the Big Dance.

Frank

I believe it would be an automatic invite if they win.

Illinois would have indeed been in with a win, but the Badgers didn't cooperate.

Georgia pulled off the highly improbable task of beating 4 teams in 3 days to win the SEC tournament. A tip of the cap to the "other" Bulldogs. This may mean Kentucky falls off the wrong side of the bubble, since I can't see us rightfully getting more than 5 teams this year; Tennessee, Vandy, MS State, Arkansas, and Georgia.

I believe State has been a 5 or 12 every time they've been, and everyone knows some 12 rises up and beats a 5 almost every year. Please, selection committee....some other number for once. [:-crazy]

Brian G.

Waiting on the Selection Show [:-magnify

Well, what do we have so far? Mighty Duke is out after another lack-luster performance, a couple of 13's won, not one but two 12's knocked off 5's this year, and so far the 1's are all unscathed (though UCLA should have lost to Texas A&M today....learn to shoot freethrows, will ya Aggies?). [:-paperba

Kentucky, Vandy, and Georgia all lost; Tennessee, MS State, and Arkansas won.

I'll be shocked if we have more than one team in the Sweet 16 (Tennessee). MS State faces #1 Memphis; Arkansas gets super #1 North Carolina. That 8 vs. 9 slot is a bitch. State can win, but only if they can force Memphis into the tempo they want. I don't think the Razorbacks have a prayer in hell the way NC is playing, but one can always hope against hope. [:-crazy]

Big congradulations to Les's Michigan State team and Douglas's Stanford boys. Both won their way into the Sweet 16 today, an accomplishment all by itself. If the Dogs somehow won they would actually meet Michigan State in the next round, which would require a bet (sweet tea vs. tulip bulbs?). [:-slaphap

Brian G.

Gladness For the Madness [:-basketb [:-jump2][:-jump][:-jump2]

it sure wasn't pretty!!

I'm gonna have to wait on the wager because my Wife has bet the farm on Michigan State up to the final four. I ask you, How can a nice middle age woman be so crazy for a bunch of good looking young basketball players? Besides the bulbs are now under 8" of new snow!

It would have been fun to be around Miki Mertz during the game, she is the second biggest Spartan fan I know!

Tennessee squeaked past Butler, but didn't look strong doing it.

State played well early in the first half, but let down going into halftime. Varnado has 5 or 6 blocks already, breaking Shaquille O'Neal's SEC record for a single season. And he's only a sophomore... [^]

Brian G.

Come On Dawgs !!!! [:-dog]

Originally posted by Brian G

Tennessee squeaked past Butler, but didn't look strong doing it.

State played well early in the first half, but let down going into halftime. Varnado has 5 or 6 blocks already, breaking Shaquille O'Neal's SEC record for a single season. And he's only a sophomore... [^]

Brian G.

Come On Dawgs !!!! [:-dog]

My CBS affiliate is showing the Louisville non-game. I suppose 'cause this is Kentucky. I'd much rather be watching and rooting for your Dawgs, Brian.

Geez, Miss St. just wouldn't die. I thought it was all over with 42 seconds left. And that last shot almost banked in, to send it into overtime. Too bad, well I'm rooting for Michigan State over Memphis.

Brian, were you yelling at the television?

Frank

Originally posted by fqp25

Brian, were you yelling at the television?

Guilty, along with my entire extended family. Sooooo close, yet so far. The Bullys played a good game and almost took down a #1 seed; I got no complaints. Maybe we should have started fouling sooner. [;)]

We lose one senior, a big one, but everyone else will be back (plus the new recruits, which is why we are where we are now; Coach Stansbury can recruit). Varnado will be a beast next year. Our future is so bright, we gotta wear shades. [8D]

Bain, thanks, and I feel your pain. It grates on me when CBS decides to send me someplace I don't want to go, or worse, takes me away from someplace I do want to be to dump me elsewhere. Aaaaarrrrggghhh! I'd love to see the NCAA break the four regionals up between four different networks...channel surfin' heaven. It ain't gonna happen. [:-indiffe

The poor Razorbacks ran into the baddest buzz saw in the tournament, a red-hot North Carolina squad. Dust off their seat in the championship game, they're coming.

So now I'm left to pull for Tennessee, Michigan State, and Stanford.

Outside of those, I'm pulling for the underdogs. [:-doggy]

Brian G.

Another Good Year for the Bulldogs [:-thumbu]