multiple fonts

I am using Word 2002. I have whittled down my report writing template to about where I want it. I use three different fonts/sizes basically. One for headlines, one for subtitles, and one for text body.

I currently make multiple mouse clicks to change back and forth between the chosen fonts/sizes. Can anyone tell me of an easier way? Is there a way to save the three different selections on the tool bar so that I only have to make one click or key stroke to switch?

Originally posted by AHI

I am using Word 2002. I have whittled down my report writing template to about where I want it. I use three different fonts/sizes basically. One for headlines, one for subtitles, and one for text body.

I currently make multiple mouse clicks to change back and forth between the chosen fonts/sizes. Can anyone tell me of an easier way? Is there a way to save the three different selections on the tool bar so that I only have to make one click or key stroke to switch?

Yes. Use Styles. Once you've created your three styles. You can select them from the Style drop-down box or you can even create shortcut buttons or keyboard shortcuts to them.

You can also define what comes after each style. For instance you can define your headline style so that when you hit "enter" the style automatically changes to the subtitle style. After you type in the subtitle style, hit enter again and it will automatically change to the text body style.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by kurt

Having lots of fonts in the same document is poor design. Use a single font, and minimize the distraction of multiple fonts.

Actually, I have 2 different fonts but 3 sizes.

1. veranda bold italic size 14---headline

2. veranda bold italic size 12---subtitle

3. new times roman size 10-----text body

It looks pretty good to me. The clients like it.

Originally posted by hausdok

Or,

You can type the whole thing in one font, and, when you're finished, go back through and highlight the stuff you want changed to each type of font and then save the document.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Its an idea but I'll skip that one. If I do it this way it will start shoving things onto following pages and have a potential for messing up my intended layout.

Originally posted by AHI

Originally posted by hausdok

Or,

You can type the whole thing in one font, and, when you're finished, go back through and highlight the stuff you want changed to each type of font and then save the document.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Its an idea but I'll skip that one. If I do it this way it will start shoving things onto following pages and have a potential for messing up my intended layout.

Not if you're placing page breaks between sections.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

Isn't Word's Times New Roman in 10 a little small?

Ok ya bunch a blind ole bats. I'll consider bumping everything up a size. I was viewing mainly on the computer screen. After printing a page I can see what you mean.

BTW, dont most news papers use New Times roman 10?

Originally posted by AHI

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

Isn't Word's Times New Roman in 10 a little small?

Ok ya bunch a blind ole bats. I'll consider bumping everything up a size. I was viewing mainly on the computer screen. After printing a page I can see what you mean.

BTW, dont most news papers use New Times roman 10?

Yeah, and they're too damn small.

Newspapers have to make room for lots of ads. You don't have that problem.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Im thinking about adding a statement like this to my report preface:

There are various types of information within this report. You may find that some parts are more important to you than others. I suggest that you print a copy of the report and grab a highlighter pen. Then, carefully read the entire report while highlighting the parts that matter to you. This will help you find things quickly when you need to refer back later.

Originally posted by randynavarro

Newspapers have to make room for lots of ads. You don't have that problem

Wait a minute . . . waaaiiit a minute!!

Brilliant. Sell ad spaces in our inspection reports. In these slow times, what better way to generate income!!

Maybe I'll put in that ad that RTCA has in the Reporter. That ad always brightens my day.

- Jim Katen, Oregon