John,

I don't have the time to read the text right now, but I clicked through the pages and I'm very, very pleased with the layout. It's almost identical to the format of my reports. It looks like a report that was created from scratch, specifically about the home inspected. Wait a minute - that IS how my reports are created.

I'm really turned off by most HI reports. It usually spews "canned boilerplate contained within purchased software formatting" from almost every page.

I didn't spend much time on it, but since you want feedback.

Page 2:

1. imbedded - embedded is the preferred spelling.

2. This inspection is not intended *TO* scrutinize...

3. "but that I *made* an observation" Should be 'make'in order to maintain tense.

4. "If information on certain items is not listed, that means that it is

either not required by S.O.P. or that there were no problems noted regarding such items." If there are no problems, that should be noted on items requiring inspection. Perhaps you mean - or the item is absent.?

5."My goal in this report has been..." replace 'has been' with 'is'.

6."If in this report I have fallen short of being able to do this..." is awkward. Clean it up.

Page 4:

1. If the water heater and furnace were installed with correct clearances, I would not call this out. Certainly the gypsum won't hurt anything, but most furnaces I see are near wood. (You left the 't' off of event)

Page 5:

1. "The exterior wall covering are aluminum siding." Make that 'is'.

Page 6:

1. The description of deck installation problems is wordy.

2. embedded

3. "This will allow them to absorb..." replace with 'This allows..."

4. "The gap can allow insect infiltration." replace with 'The gap allows...'

Page 12:

1. "The water heater responded buy coming on to heat water when an appropriate amount was called for." What?

2. "The waste and venting materials are noted to be PVC..." 'are noted to be' should just be 'are'

Page 13:

1. You recommend a CO2 detector. You mean CO detector. (It's the lack of that second oxygen that is so critical)

Page 14:

1. Get rid of the "looked to be" language.

2. "There is a concern I have with leaves being allowed to pile up around the unit." Sentence is not necessary.

Page 16:

1. "The damper and combustion air vent appeared to be functioning normally." Appeared to be?

BCINSPTR,

Yes it's Word, from scratch. Same template fore everything.

I gather the info, come home and start writing.

Gary,

Thats a funny street name huh? But for this record it should be Some St. I actually forgot to remove that. I changed it. Can you edit your post and remove it? Thanks for catching that for me.

I got more to say but gotta run.

I’ll borrow Gary’s method, but avoid what he already noted (unless I disagree with him). This is just skimming along, seeing what catches my eye. [:-magnify

Page 2

1. I suggest putting (SOP) behind “the Standards of Practicesâ€

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

Many "drywall" products are combustible...did you mean gypsum board?

I guess I did, but around here that's what "drywall" means. No one would recognize "gypsum board" at all (locally it's either "drywall" or the even more incorrect "sheetrock"). What "drywall" products are combustible? Stuff like paneling? Ah-so.

I get it, and you're probably right. I suppose I should write both, just to be safe (which John already did).

Brian G.

Laboring With Local Lingo [:-alien]

John,

Brian went into more detail than I was willing to go into and I agree with his points (except the obvious one).

He also hit on a pet-peave of mine that I have just agreed with the world to disagree with. These are the definitions I live by:

Insure - this will pay you something after the fact.

Ensure - this is preventative, but won't pay a nickel if something fails. This is the word you should use according to Brian and me.

Assure - purely emotional, I assure you!

I am glad to see someone else cares about this, Brian.

I don't write up the furnace being located under the stairs because I don't have a reputable citation that I can use to support such a statement. There are many horizontally mounted furnaces in Buffalo that are situated directly under the floor joists of bedrooms. They are installed according to mfr recommendations, have no fire-rated material at the joists and they violate no local codes.

(Brian, gypsum isn't so much for your client as it is for a courtroom. Don't say drywall in court.)

You are doing much better than most beginning HI's, John.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif horht.jpg

71.63 KB

BCINSPTR,

Whatever version of Word that you have, do a google search on tutorials. You can find out everything you need to know about how to set up a template including things like automatic page numbering, footers and more.

Construct a template and save it as a "Master" on file. When you want to write a new report, copy and paste the master into a file folder, rename the copy and begin writing to your hearts desire. Dont use the actual master, just keep copying and then rename. The master always remains.

On my template I leave the second half of the first page blank for a place to put the picture of the subject property. The second page is the preface and it remains the same always. As you write on and on, Word adds new pages and numbers them as you go.

You can use "styles" for formatting the fonts and sizes you want to use. That way it's only one click to change between them.

I also have a PDF convertor program. It cost $20 to download online. I change the Word doc to PDF when done. I prefer to send PDF's since they are more difficult to tamper with or edit.

I used this link to learn about Word functions but it may not apply to your version. Mine is 2002.

http://www.learnthat.com/tutorials/free ... asp?cat=29

I also used Word to make a check list. The list forces me to collect the mandatory info on site and gives me the chance to recognize a host of other things. I keep the check list on file and print a set for each inspection. The pages go on a clipboard and I carry a pencil. The jotted info along with many pictures is my collection method.

When I get home I upload the pictures, set the list down on the table and start writing. Most of the time I don't know exactly what I want to write until the last moment. I like this method as it gives me a chance to think before I "speak" in the report.

Originally posted by ozofprev

I don't write up the furnace being located under the stairs because I don't have a reputable citation that I can use to support such a statement. There are many horizontally mounted furnaces in Buffalo that are situated directly under the floor joists of bedrooms. They are installed according to mfr recommendations, have no fire-rated material at the joists and they violate no local codes.

Oh sure, we have that here to, just less often (in crawl spaces, not basements). I wouldn't suggest the gas appliances under the stairs are a code violation, or that they should be moved, but I think it's reasonable to note that in a situation like this one the fire safety requirements for the stairs take on added importance. Surely such a space with two gas appliances is more prone to fire than such a space without two gas appliances, all other things being equal. Das all I'm tryna' say.

Brian G.

I Zig, You Zag [8]

I guess I did, but around here that's what "drywall" means. No one would recognize "gypsum board" at all (locally it's either "drywall" or the even more incorrect "sheetrock"). What "drywall" products are combustible? Stuff like paneling? Ah-so.

I get it, and you're probably right. I suppose I should write both, just to be safe (which John already did).

I re-read my posts all the time and this one is no exception. I don't re-read them because I think I'm clever I re-read them because I have a tendency to write like an arrogant jerk... this is one of those times and I apologize.

Originally posted by ozofprev

John,

I don't write up the furnace being located under the stairs because I don't have a reputable citation that I can use to support such a statement.

Is there such a prohibition anywhere? I looked all through Chapter 24, and there's nothing in there about stairs, is there?

The write up was not initiated by the fact that gas appliances are under the stairs. It was initiated due to the lack of gypsum as a fire break. The fact that the gas appliances are under there just makes it that much more important in my mind.

The thought was there, so I shared it.

IRC R311.2.2 Under stair protection. Enclosed accessible space under stairs shall have walls, under stair surface and any soffits protected on the enclosed side with ½-inch (13 mm) gypsum board.

Well, ya gotta luv that!

As with much of my reading since puberty, I look mostly at the pictures. Missed the whole friggin' "enclosed" part. You did exactly right, John. Zigging was the right move!

Is there a means for enough O2 to get into the ENCLOSED space?

But I did catch the street name - that would have been embarassing.[:-censore

I figured you covered that.

Seein' as how you are a young'un, and ya seem to fit in well with intelligent people - here's my old-man advice to you.

1. Stay honest.

2. Never stop learning - it's fun!

3. Stay here - TIJ has an incredible membership, even though they haven't ejected me yet.

4. Never drink anyone's Kool-aid.

5. Never become a 4or5-letter zealot of any kind! (TIJ is 3-letters for good reason.)

6. What goes around comes around, so continue showing respect for all.

7. Don't talk about crack pipes or pot laws here - there are cops all over the place.

8. Accept Katenize as a valid verb.

9. Don't be afraid to be wrong - here.

10. Don't be wrong on the job.

Question common-sense. It's not always what you think it is.

I'll be 44 in May. Is that a young'un around these parts?

I lead off my inspections with a little talk. Among the things I say is, " I don't know everything and I plan on learning something here today"

People seem to understand and accept the statement.

I know my reports are far from perfect but so far I have not had any calls asking for further explanation.

I have a long way to go but I wouldn't be where I am without the help of the members here. Thanks again to everyone, really.