red plastic piping in mobile home

jodil

This red pipe is for the hot water line coming off the water heater then goes under the house. What kind of material is this? I wasnt aware of any kind of "plastic like" material that is safe for hot water supply.. But what the heck do I know..

Image Insert:

2008430135220_IMG_1081.jpg

41.29 KB

Originally posted by Brian G

What is that on the relief valve? It looks white, like PVC, which as John noted, is not kosher for that use (gotta be hot water rated).

Brian G.

Ya, Just Look at My Big Pex [:-magnify

That's a special, fancy dedicated TPR discharge tube. I see them all the time on manufactured home water heaters. They come with the galvanized fitting at one end.

Jodi, PEX is the standard plumbing pipe in new construction out here. Has been for quite some time. It works great.

Image Insert:

2008430225623_WhiteTPRTube1.jpg

40.2 KB

Image Insert:

200843022570_WhiteTPRTube2.jpg

33.93 KB

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

That's a special, fancy dedicated TPR discharge tube. I see them all the time on manufactured home water heaters. They come with the galvanized fitting at one end.

All-righty then, thanks. Never seen one of those, but then the few calls I've ever had for inspections on manufactured houses all evaporated.

Brian G.

They Are What They Are [8]

Hi Erby,

I think that's true, but aren't you just telling John to check with his local AHJ? Isn't the prohibition against PVC for all potable water an individual jurisdiction issue? I don't think there's any actual model code restriction against it for cold water. "Quite a few places," could mean a few hundred out of many thousands of jurisdications in the country that do allow it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

All-righty then, thanks. Never seen one of those, but then the few calls I've ever had for inspections on manufactured houses all evaporated.

Brian G.

They Are What They Are [8]

Yeah, I saw my first one on a brand new water heater in a conventional home not too long ago. It was labeled for that use so I didn't make a big deal about it. IAPMO is a whole lot bigger than my pipsqueak little butt.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi Erby,

I think that's true, but aren't you just telling John to check with his local AHJ? Isn't the prohibition against PVC for all potable water an individual jurisdiction issue? I don't think there's any actual model code restriction against it for cold water. "Quite a few places," could mean a few hundred out of many thousands of jurisdications in the country that do allow it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The IRC does not recognize PVC as an acceptable water distribution piping material. Check out IRC 2006 P2904.5 and Table P2904.5. PVC doesn't meet the required standards. It hasn't for a long time.

If you're in an IRC area, PVC isn't allowed for water distribution inside a building unless there's a local ammendment.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

This may be a silly question, but.....

Does "inside a building" include the crawl space? I had one recently with a mix of PVC and the old galvanized steel running around under the house, but only the galvanized went through the floor.

Brian G.

I'm Guessing "Yes", But I'm Guessing [?]

This may be a silly question, but.....

Does "inside a building" include the crawl space? I had one recently with a mix of PVC and the old galvanized steel running around under the house, but only the galvanized went through the floor.

Brian G.

I'm Guessing "Yes", But I'm Guessing [?]

Around here, you can't even have PVC under the soil in the crawlspace. No PVC beneath the footprint of the building at all.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by AHI

< making note to self about questioning PVC being used as supply lines on either hot or cold side. Thanks for correcting me.

Just because I know you'd want to know . . .

PVC is fine for supply lines. They're outside the building. It's distribution lines that are the issue. Most people won't make the distinction, but there's always one . . .

- Jim Katen, Oregon

What is that on the relief valve? It looks white, like PVC, which as John noted, is not kosher for that use (gotta be hot water rated).

Brian G.

Ya, Just Look at My Big Pex [:-magnify

Jodi, PEX is the standard plumbing pipe in new construction out here. Has been for quite some time. It works great.

Image Insert:

2008430225623_WhiteTPRTube1.jpg

40.2 KB

Image Insert:

200843022570_WhiteTPRTube2.jpg

33.93 KB

- Jim Katen, Oregon

It appears that the end of the TRP tube is blocked by some insulation material

Originally posted by RobFV

It appears that the end of the TRP tube is blocked by some insulation material

Indeed, it appears that way. But appearances can be deceptive. The tube passes through the floor to the underside of the MH. The foam is sealing the annular opening around the tube.

- Jim Katen, Oregon