I want to add two subtitle words to my report format in each category. The first word is;

Materials

( insert the required info )

The second word I havn't decided on. I would like it to be a single word that covers the spectrum of additional things I would be reporting on. I thought about "problems" or "issues" but neither of those really appeal to me.

Do you have any suggestions on a subtitle word for my format that will cover the things I write about that are beyond the required materials lists?

Originally posted by John Dirks Jr

I want to add two subtitle words to my report format in each category. The first word is;

Materials

( insert the required info )

The second word I havn't decided on. I would like it to be a single word that covers the spectrum of additional things I would be reporting on. I thought about "problems" or "issues" but neither of those really appeal to me.

Do you have any suggestions on a subtitle word for my format that will cover the things I write about that are beyond the required materials lists?

Defects.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by hausdok

Mine are very simple; Description and Observations

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

That's it. I like this choice. You see, an observation can be a problem, but it doesn't have to be. An observation can be important information that is beyond the the normal descriptions.

Defect is good too, but now and then it would clash with an informative comment.

In the more narrative reports I've done, I used observation (what I found), recommendation (what you should do about it), and sometimes comment (other stuff I want you to know, that really isn't an observation or a recommendation).

Brian G.

Everyone Is Different [:-alien]

I've been writing custom narrative reports long enough now that my style is settling in. I notice the recurring text I keep typing, especially in the lead in sentences describing materials. I'm going to write those leads into my master report template. It will wind up being a fill in the blank sort of thing for some parts of the report.

I also plan to write in the most common comments into the master template. Things like recommendations for CO detectors and smoke detectors. Might as well toss the doubled neutral comment in there too since 9 out of 10 panels I inspect are that way.

I figure it will take much less time to erase a comment that doesn't apply as opposed to trudging off to a boiler plate file to retrieve something that is going to be in the report more often than not.

What kinds of things have you narrative writers done to streamline your report writing?

Why do you even need subheadings?

AIR CONDITIONING:

Observation

I found this.

Recommendation

You should do this.

Comment

Here's some other stuff I want you to know.

Why not just put them together in a paragraph.

AIR CONDITIONING:

I found this. You should do this. Here's some other stuff I want you to know.

Originally posted by John Dirks Jr

What kinds of things have you narrative writers done to streamline your report writing?

I dictate the report into a digital recorder and e-mail the recording it to a typist.

Originally posted by Erby

Why do you even need subheadings?

AIR CONDITIONING:

I found this. You should do this. Here's some other stuff I want you to know.

Erby's method is the one that I prefer, and has been well received for over 2 decades (although I still use too many words).