Furnace vent

sepefrio

Came across this a couple hours ago and I have my hunch but would just like others opinions. First, I did not walk to that part of the roof, this is zoomed from the ladder. I had already slipped once on the roof (wind, pitch and just wasn't comfortable) and wasn't looking to break a leg or worse.

Anyways, to me that looks like melted tar maybe. That is the vent for the gas furnace in the attic. I'm thinking the tar melted when heated up and began to "run" down the side of the roof.

The real answer doesn't really matter as it's clearly leaking and I'm already calling it out. I'm just curious as I have never seen this effect on a vent like that, chimney yes, but not a vent.

As I posted the pictures I looked at them again and thought, could that be whats left of a melted storm collar?

Click to Enlarge
tn_200927205048_vent1.jpg

54.07 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200927205110_vent2.jpg

43.07 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200927205137_vent3.jpg

22.48 KB

I don't think the flue of a 90% furnace would get hot enough to melt tar. What probably happened is the neoprene flashing boot was cracked and someone spread tar all over the place to make certain they stopped the leak.

So basically you think it was just a sloppy fix? That makes more sense tbh.

I don't think the flue of a 90% furnace would get hot enough to melt tar. What probably happened is the neoprene flashing boot was cracked and someone spread tar all over the place to make certain they stopped the leak.

I agree, it also looks like they tracked up the valley while doing it.

And . . . as dopey as it sounds . . . see that droplet of condensate on the rim of the candy cane? The person making the repair may have thought that was the cause of the leak, and decided to spread tar beneath the pipe to catch the moisture.

There was also this under the vent in the attic [:-tong2]

Click to Enlarge
tn_20092721558_vent5.jpg

24.13 KB

First, I did not walk to that part of the roof, this is zoomed from the ladder. I had already slipped once on the roof (wind, pitch and just wasn't comfortable) and wasn't looking to break a leg or worse.

In a recent report: "I observed the roof by sliding on my ass and screaming like a little girl".

Anyways, to me that looks like melted tar maybe. That is the vent for the gas furnace in the attic. I'm thinking the tar melted when heated up and began to "run" down the side of the roof.

That's what it looks like when someone's chasing a leak with a bucket o' goop. It's funny when someone tries to fix it from inside the attic.

First, I did not walk to that part of the roof, this is zoomed from the ladder. I had already slipped once on the roof (wind, pitch and just wasn't comfortable) and wasn't looking to break a leg or worse.

In a recent report: "I observed the roof by sliding on my ass and screaming like a little girl".

Hah. I'll be stealing that one, just so's you know. To adjust for my area's patois, however, I'll replace the last part with, "screaming like a stuck pig."

I've inspected a roof or two in that manner.

I see cracked boots all the time. Some really bad, some just starting and some I can't tell because they are so heavily covered with goop.

Then again, sometimes the plumber just screwed it up by inserting the pipe to far and then pulling it back down inverting the boot.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009281276_DSC04282.jpg

73.94 KB