The mold that ate a townhouse?

Townhouse inspection the other day. I went to check the gas meter and was greeted with this:

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091015132046_DSCF0014.jpg

69.2 KB

The townhouse that I was inspecting is on the left. I inspected the exterior basement wall where the gas service enters the building, the through-wall black pipe and around the demising wall but didn't find any evidence of this inside the unit.

Both units are foreclosed and are empty so this must be coming from the adjacent unit.

I kicked at the growth and it broke off like it was Styrofoam. I was running out of light and I needed to spend more time on the exterior so I never got back to it.

I don't do mold inspections and mostly just see black mold due to moisture. Does anyone know what it is?

Jeff Beck

So, I'm installing my furnace in the garage today and knock over a can of Great Stuff high expansion foam. Now, I know better than to pick it up by hand as it's shooting all over everything, so by the time it's picked up/ contained in a box that was once housing some ductwork, it looks similar to what's pictured.

Anyone have a good trick to get this stuff off of your hands after it dries? I tried WD-40, soap, and household cleaners, but they failed miserably.

So, I'm installing my furnace in the garage today and knock over a can of Great Stuff high expansion foam. . . .

Well it was an honest accident. At least you didn't put it on top of a propane heater to get it to warm up to room temperature faster as, ahem, someone I know once did.

(And if you think its difficult to get off skin, try getting it out of a full beard.)

- Jim in Oregon

So, I'm installing my furnace in the garage today and knock over a can of Great Stuff high expansion foam. Now, I know better than to pick it up by hand as it's shooting all over everything, so by the time it's picked up/ contained in a box that was once housing some ductwork, it looks similar to what's pictured.

Anyone have a good trick to get this stuff off of your hands after it dries? I tried WD-40, soap, and household cleaners, but they failed miserably.

Did you try an automotive hand cleaner like GoJo? It's pretty good at getting sticky stuff off.

Has this turned into a confession thread?

There was the time the GC I was working for, notice the blame shift, had us installing plastic laminate on a set of kitchen cabinets we were building. It was winter and we were working in the home owner's garage. Our heater was a portable kerosene model....................