Nature at it's best

That's awesome Darren. Black bears are making a come back here too. Politically correct folks call them " bears of color".

They chased one around the south side of the city of Syracuse a couple of weeks ago.

We have big cats near here again, too. The DEC lied about them until two of the four collared cougars were hit by cars.

That's awesome Darren. Black bears are making a come back here too. Politically correct folks call them " bears of color".

They chased one around the south side of the city of Syracuse a couple of weeks ago.

We have big cats near here again, too. The DEC lied about them until two of the four collared cougars were hit by cars.

There used to be a big cat down in Dutchess County in Amenia. It was seen by half a dozen folks over several weeks back around 1972/73 and the game warden called everybody loco. I was hiking in the woods one day when I came across some fresh kitty tracks about the size of a great dane paw print in the muck next to a river. I took a photo. I've still got the photo. Either a cougar made that track or someone had been feeding their cat hormones and then the giant kitty decided to go six miles out into the wood to use the litter box.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Chicago cops shot and killed a cougar in someone's backyard in Roscoe Village (that's an old neighborhood on the North side).

There'd been a couple sightings, folks saying something really big jumping over their fences and that sort of thing. Cops came to investigate, and found the cougar cornered in someone's backyard.

They figured it found it's way down the railroad lines into the city.

Kinda sad, big old wildcat ends up on the wrong side of the fence.

Chicago cops shot and killed a cougar in someone's backyard in Roscoe Village (that's an old neighborhood on the North side).

There'd been a couple sightings, folks saying something really big jumping over their fences and that sort of thing. Cops came to investigate, and found the cougar cornered in someone's backyard.

They figured it found it's way down the railroad lines into the city.

Kinda sad, big old wildcat ends up on the wrong side of the fence.

Yeah, it is sad. Amenia is hick country - a population of about a thousand and at that time the predominant business was dairy farming so there was plenty of game around; especially during calving season.

They killed a cougar here a while back in the city. We sort of expect them to be around here; but man had pretty much made big cats, bears and coyotes nearly extinct in the major metropolitan areas of the northeast and midwest decades ago. Folks don't expect them to show up wandering around those areas.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

We've got big cats here. I haven't seen an actual cat, but I have seen tracks the size of my palm on several occasions. Bear too, my wife nearly hit one with her car.

Our most newsworthy clash of big game and metropolitan (if you consider a village of 4000 metro) living happened around 30 years ago when a very large buck was strolling down the middle of main street. He must have seen his reflection in a store front window, because he turned and charged straight through the plate glass into a very full barber shop. Most of the patrons left through the newly opened window while the barber shielded himself from an angry and bloody deer with his swivel chair and one very unlucky customer.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...