What building standard

IF there was/is any type of code/guideline blanket from somewhere it should be what was in effect the day the construction 'started'.

That has been my experience of our state or local adopted code cycles. The rule in place the day the construction started is the guiding element.

If there is a change during the current construction it does not impact that project underway. Only affects 'new' construction started after the adoption of the new rules.

The state of Alabama really does not have a state wide standard besides the fire code.

Most of the time I use the standard that the closes AHJ uses.

In Tuscaloosa where I am they do a 6 year adoption of the rules. We just when to the 2009 IRC from the 2003 IRC.

The house I am going to inspected is in a different area than Tuscaloosa and the area the builder is from is on the 2006 IRC.

Waynesoper when I inspect I report what I find. You have to have a guide to base your finding on which the building standards is one of the main one.

This house may be headed to court so you got to be right with your finding, you should be right with your finding on any house you inspect.

I was under the impression the code in effect when the permit was pulled is the version of the code to use.

The builder pulls the permit in Dec and the code changes in Jan. Starts construction on Jan 2. Uses the old version of the code based on the date of the permit.

It all depends on the AHJ.. In my area a 45 day notice was posted on all homes that were under construction that if the home did not have its CO by January 15, 2010 it would have to comply with the 2009 IRC. The electrical was not an issue as the NEC is used and they were already under the current version.

The state of Alabama really does not have a state wide standard besides the fire code.

Most of the time I use the standard that the closes AHJ uses.

In Tuscaloosa where I am they do a 6 year adoption of the rules. We just when to the 2009 IRC from the 2003 IRC.

The house I am going to inspected is in a different area than Tuscaloosa and the area the builder is from is on the 2006 IRC.

Waynesoper when I inspect I report what I find. You have to have a guide to base your finding on which the building standards is one of the main one.

This house may be headed to court so you got to be right with your finding, you should be right with your finding on any house you inspect.

If there's a good chance it's heading to court, I'd move heaven & earth to get a copy of the approved plans & specs -- including all redlining.

In my area, the builder submits the plans for approval and the AHJ performs a plan review based on the code that's in effect at the moment. Then the builder builds the house in accordance with those plans & that plan review. If the code is scheduled to change during the construction period, the AHJ gives the builder the option to conform with one code or the other. This means that there's usually a 6-month period where any given house that's under construction might be built under either the old or the new code.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

That's how I read it too. There's no reference to single family residences.

I'd probably use the adopted codes as the basis for any opinion or statement about the house. I'd use standard language to indicate this isn't a compliance inspection nor an enforcement action; it's just your opinion based on what the State of Alabama thinks is appropriate for their own buildings.

That's how I read it too. There's no reference to single family residences.

I'd probably use the adopted codes as the basis for any opinion or statement about the house. I'd use standard language to indicate this isn't a compliance inspection nor an enforcement action; it's just your opinion based on what the State of Alabama thinks is appropriate for their own buildings.

Kurt,

That is what I have planed to do. Base my opinion on the building standard. I do let them know that its not a code inspection.

you and Marc are right that is for the state building but it shows that there are state guidelines since there is no AHJ.

For what I understand it is one of the spec plans that the builder had.