Service drop scraping

Denray

This service drop is pulled across the rake edge. This is a house near me that I told the utility company about over a year ago and they had someone come by and say it was ok. Isn't it just a matter of time before the insulation gets scrapped off the conductors and it shorts out?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011216185322_front.jpg

28.4 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201121618541_side.jpg

31.36 KB

It sure is, unless the insulation is already brittle and crumbling off, then you'd only need contact with a conductive material like rake flashing to get a fiery electrical flash. Only the utility fuse protects it and it's a big one, a super lag. It can vaporize quite a bit of metal before it's over.

Marc

I've seen these totally worn through with bare metal rubbing on the shingles.

I'm not advocating that's good, but it doesn't necessarily mean it all shorts and blows immediately; it'll hang around for the big surprise when all the factors line up.

I'd put a sheath on it; if the power company says it "OK", they're not going to restring the drop, and the owner isn't going to install a new service riser.

From a recent inspection:

From the ground (This is a Pentax W90 zoom from the same position as the next photo)

Click to Enlarge
tn_201121717385_A010.jpg

38.68 KB

Distant:

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011217173851_A009.jpg

45.83 KB

From the roof

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011217173956_A034.jpg

32.4 KB

Dude, you know how much I enjoy pointing out another's mistake. Your logo's all f**ked up in the last photo.