Telescoping Ladder of roof tops

lazerbrain

Hey Gang,

I'm not sure if I should be posting this in the roof forum or the tools forum, but I need some feedback either way.

Like most of you, I use a telescoping, 14' ladder to reach my roofs. Because its convenient, light weight and versatile, I don't carry anything else.

Lately I've been having trouble keeping it steady on the first roof layer when I pull it up to climb up to the next roof. Its starting to slip on the shingles. I have been using it this way for several years now without a problem. I'm not sure if the rubber bumpers on the feet are getting worn down or if I'm just getting fatter than I thought.

Any suggestions to keeping it firmly planted on the roof. (I've already considered the 'don't get on the roof' issue, sometimes that's not feasible.)

Like most of you, I use a telescoping, 14' ladder to reach my roofs

I have a feeling that most of us use something besides one of these ladders to gain access to a roof. While I have a telescoping ladder, I typically only use it when nothing else will do.

Any suggestions to keeping it firmly planted on the roof.

If there's an operable window in the right area, you could tie the ladder off to a board stuck through the open window. Another option is roof jacks. I only roof hop like this when there is no other way to get up to the upper roof; maybe 1/2% of my inspections.

I'm not sure if the rubber bumpers on the feet are getting worn down or if I'm just getting fatter than I thought.

Maybe you're just getting older and wiser.[;)]

You wanna end up in the hospital, keep using your telescoping ladder. I used mine in the same manner you describe years ago, but wouldn't dream of it now. It's a really dangerous way to get on a roof.

I only use mine for very simple interior attic hatches, or mechanical rooms in downtown condos that are located in overhead spaces.

Get a new ladder is my advice.

Skip the telescoping ladders and get a folding one instead. I have two Werners, an M-22 and an M-15. Both are 300 lb rated and fit inside my car and the M-22 will get me almost anywhere a 24' extension will. The 22 is heavy but the 15 is a feather and I can easily throw it over my shoulder and carry it up the other. I couldn't have safely checked out this chimney without it. Less than $300 for the pair.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011817151132_102_1933.jpg

108.02 KB

Have you tried putting new rubber feet on the ladder?

Jim

The feet do wear out. Break down and buy a new ladder, before the old one breaks you.

Like these other geezers, I tried what you do, tried it and didn't like it. Get a longer ladder for the two-storey jobs or use a pole cam.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011817204541_Jaws%20old.jpg

50.87 KB

I don't even do this very often. Not enough ladder to hold on to at the top, and the spread makes it awkward. My 28' extension ladder is lighter and faster to set up. And safer to get back on to.

This 17 ' Jaws ladder folds down to less than 6 feet in length. I've been hauling it OK in a Toyota Corolla rental sedan.

The truck in this pic is bound for the boneyard in the sky. I picked up my new Ford Ranger today.

My '49 Chev business coupe had a super long trunk for traveling salesmen. I think it would haul a Little Giant or a Jaws just fine. Maybe not enough room for wrenches and parts, though.

Hey Gang,

I'm not sure if I should be posting this in the roof forum or the tools forum, but I need some feedback either way.

Like most of you, I use a telescoping, 14' ladder to reach my roofs. Because its convenient, light weight and versatile, I don't carry anything else.

Never used one. Never plan on it.

Lately I've been having trouble keeping it steady on the first roof layer when I pull it up to climb up to the next roof. Its starting to slip on the shingles. I have been using it this way for several years now without a problem. I'm not sure if the rubber bumpers on the feet are getting worn down or if I'm just getting fatter than I thought.

The rubber is getting old and hardening. It's becoming more slick than it used to be.

Any suggestions to keeping it firmly planted on the roof. (I've already considered the 'don't get on the roof' issue, sometimes that's not feasible.)

Get fresh, new feet for it.

Better yet, get a better ladder.