Mike Holmes Advises Maintenance Inspections

Bill Kibbel

I propose that the lending banks require that every home with a mortgage have an annual maintenance inspection performed by a licensed home inspector to protect their investments! Where do I submit this suggestion?

Right here is good. I suggest gutting the house and starting over with new insulation, new ductwork and new drywall, before the inspector finds something wrong. [:)]

You have to remember; he's not an actor, he just plays one on TV.

Holmes is raising awareness of our little profession, and he's setting the bar higher than some of our licensing boards. That ain't a bad thing. Now if only we could get HGTV to make him fix stuff correctly [:-banghea

Oh! You mean like addressing the number one reason an unknowing client may have been directed toward a less than competent inspector to begin with?

• 3 months later...

You have to remember that his TV Show is filmed in CANADA!!

It could be worse; they could have filmed it in Arkansas.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

That's not exactly a fair comment; some of the things you other guys find are far worse than what I see. After all, idiocy has no geographic boundaries. And besides, contrary to public opinion we've had indoor plumbing since 1983![;)]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

That's not exactly a fair comment; some of the things you other guys find are far worse than what I see. After all, idiocy has no geographic boundaries. And besides, contrary to public opinion we've had indoor plumbing since 1983![;)]
Nothing personal, I was just responding to Mr. Rodger's dis of Canada. Since my Father was Canadian, and some of the nicest and smartest folks I've ever met were Canadians, I get a little defensive when folks start dissing Canada.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Kevin, I hear you. We take heat here in Kentucky all the time. Some of it's deserved, some not.

True, there are more than a few dudes who could easily play the banjo-player role in Deliverance, but there are also plenty of really awesome and brilliant people like me.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Nothing personal, I was just responding to Mr. Rodger's dis of Canada. Since my Father was Canadian, and some of the nicest and smartest folks I've ever met were Canadians, I get a little defensive when folks start dissing Canada.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I'm not sure that Mr. Rodgers was dissing Canada. I don't know him, (Arkansas isn't THAT small) but I interpreted his comments to mean that Canadian practices and those in the U.S. vary at times.

I freely admit to getting a bit defensive about my beautiful home state. As you all can well imagine, being a home inspector I meet a lot of people who have never been in Arkansas until they arrive here for a new job. The comments they make are almost universally positive and very similar in tone. In a nutshell, they all say "I can't believe how nice it is here. It's not at all what I expected." Decades of being the butt of jokes (written by people who have never been here) has taken its toll. With that said, I will state that we do indeed have our share of idiots/rednecks/generally embarrassing people. What state doesn't? Slack-jawed morons exist in all states. But I must also add that we have MORE than our share of genuinely nice people. Southern hospitality isn't a myth, although it is slowly vanishing. (It's the influx of newcomers...)

But please keep this to yourselves. If the truth were known we'd have even MORE Yankees moving in and trying to tell us how to do things so that it was just like they did them back "home"!

True, there are more than a few dudes who could easily play the banjo-player role in Deliverance, but there are also plenty of really awesome and brilliant people like me.

Do all ya'll still hang Jiffy Pop above your bedroom doors in lieu of fire alarms?

Oh, and, do KY home inspectors have to have schooling?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Kevin, I hear you. We take heat here in Kentucky all the time. Some of it's deserved, some not.

Hey John--

I get where you are coming from. Thanks for the support.

Should I point out that Deliverance was filmed in Georgia? NOT that I want to offend any of our Georgia brethren. The movie was a compilation of Southern stereotypes.

P.S. Where are the New Years Eve pics you purportedly have?