Ice Pack on the Thermostat

Mike Lamb

It was too hot for me to run the furnace the other day. The thermostat would only go up to 90F.

Someone on TIJ had mentioned putting ice on a thermostat works. I had my client hold the ice pack. It took about 15 minutes for the thermostat to drop to 89F. I don't know why it took so long but the furnace fired.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201277105623_058.jpg

21.7 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201277105638_068.jpg

31.54 KB

It was too hot for me to run the furnace the other day. The thermostat would only go up to 90F.

Someone on TIJ had mentioned putting ice on a thermostat works. I had my client hold the ice pack. It took about 15 minutes for the thermostat to drop to 89F. I don't know why it took so long but the furnace fired.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201277105623_058.jpg

21.7?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201277105638_068.jpg

31.54?KB

Woulda been quicker and easier just to hot-wire.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201277105623_058.jpg

21.7?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201277105638_068.jpg

31.54?KB

plastic and air space around/between sensor are poor conductors, thus 15 min delay

example: this is my stat, left outside for a few minutes and i know i don't have it set in heat mode, won't happen for 4 more months

WARNING!!! not for the faint of heart

pull stat and put inside a baggie

set atop icepack for 2~3 minutes and good to go

Click to Enlarge
tn_201277123831_DSC00001.jpg

21.74?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201277123855_DSC00002.jpg

31.99?KB

I do not suggest doing it with any one present - but you could have removed the stat and joined the red & white wires together this should start the furnace. I have jumped a system like this to check its operation in foreclosures when there was no stat installed. To check the cooling you connect the red/green and yellow or blue.

I would not force the heater into operation under conditions outside the design specs but if you're inclined to do so, pack a small jumper lead in your tool pouch and just jumper the red/white. Red is the 24 volt supply and white is the conductor used by the thermostat to call for first stage heat.

The bounds of shabby DIY workmanship does not stop at wiring thermostats. I've seen it many times. So there's a risk involved in attempting to hot wire one.

Again, I don't recommend it for HI's

Marc

Why dink around with the thermostat? I know, standard operating controls, yada yada yada. Hooey! If it's too hot for the stat to call for heat it's working, and if you have to chill the stat it ain't normal operation anyhow.

When I have had occasion to jump start one I've done it right at the control board, usually with all the covers off so I can see what's going on.