Virginal 26 year old

Oven, that is. The house had been owned by an elderly bachelor. He bought it in 1987 and NEVER used the oven. Racks and instructions were still in plastic. I can't confirm it, but the cook top and vent hood looked similarly pristine as though they'd never been used.

In a related story, the original built-in microwave was absolutely worn out...

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013718225119_DSCN0274.jpg

45.86 KB

My neighbor had a similar situation only the oven dated back to 1954. The family built the house with two kitchens. The owners lived primarily in the basement as the first floor was for looks only, plastic on the furniture, etc. Their second cousin and his wife, much younger than the owner's, bought the house a few years ago and the first floor was like a time capsule, including the the unused appliances.

Nice gest here.. This reminds me of the bachelor-pad condo I inspected once.. the owner-guy was there.. (30-something, no decor, nothing..) and as we got near the electric range, he said.. "I do a lot of 'grilling' in there..". I nod and open the oven chamber...

He had been using the SHELVING as grille-surface for years... literally putting the meat on the shelves..

Grease-pit city in there.. totally ruined.. :

Nice gest here.. This reminds me of the bachelor-pad condo I inspected once.. the owner-guy was there.. (30-something, no decor, nothing..) and as we got near the electric range, he said.. "I do a lot of 'grilling' in there..". I nod and open the oven chamber...

He had been using the SHELVING as grille-surface for years... literally putting the meat on the shelves..

Grease-pit city in there.. totally ruined.. :

Hey, I've used that technique for years. Although, I put a large water-filled pan on a shelf below the meat to catch the drippings.

I cooked a steak where we made a small fire out of cherry, let it get down to something resembling coals, then put the meat right on the coals. Didn't even tamp the coals.

Best steak I've ever had. Stuff doesn't stick to the steak and I don't know why. Maybe the extreme searing effect.

I cooked a steak where we made a small fire out of cherry, let it get down to something resembling coals, then put the meat right on the coals. Didn't even tamp the coals.

Best steak I've ever had. Stuff doesn't stick to the steak and I don't know why. Maybe the extreme searing effect.

Did you turn it? If so, did you place the other side on fresh coals or the same ones that had cooked the first side?

Yeah, a few minutes per side. Placed it on fresh coals on the other side of the mound, same effect. A perfect medium rare. Perfect, w/the most incredible flavor from the cherry knobs.

Someone told me about it, they raved and exclaimed, seemed interesting, I forgot about it for a couple years, on an impulse tried it, and have since done it whenever I've had easy access to a fire. No clean up; it's just ash when it's all done.