Rookie HI.

Hi All,

On Wednesday I'm doing my mock inspection so that I can get my HI certificate in Alberta. If everyone who reads this posts one thing that I shouldn't forget I should have everything covered.( FYI My background is framing and landscaping.) Any help is greatly appreciated.

Strive to leave the house exactly as you found it.

Pick a spot to start. Stand there an note down all of the problems that you see before you take a step. Repeat until you've gone through the entire house.

I once spent an hour and half standing in one spot before I took the next step.

What happened? Did you hit your head? [:)]

Jim's advice is good, but you won't be given that much time. Actually they will probably give you 3 hours in or on the house, so use your time accordingly.

Take notes, and write down the major headings, Exterior - siding, windows, downspouts, tour the outside and finish it. Do the decks and porches, get the roof, chimney, then get inside. Get the front entry, find a thermostat, then head for the basement. If you are not the first in the house, they have already run plenty of water. First guy in should run some water before going down. You check for leaks.

Find the furnace and do it complete, but that may mean running up and down checking registers, ok, you do that then return to the utilities.

Water heater, do what Jim says, finish that room before moving on. Bathroom, other rooms, upstairs, another bathroom, attic, you are past halfway done. Focus on major issues. A loose knob is minor, a loose toilet is major. Kitchen, go over your notes at the countertop. Don't sit in a chair, or you will fail.

Just kidding, but as you check your notes you might find something you need to check again. This is the way to get the whole house done with time to spare.

See, you still got the E panel to do. The cover is off so it is pretty quick to do. Check for undersized conductors, major, missing knockouts, minor. Good luck.

I guess the rules are the rules when it comes to the time limits for you to get the certification(s).

As others have noted ... do NOT get in ANY RUSH!! Be methodical and careful. Don't be crazy ... just thorough.

I can assure you that your view of thorough today will be one thing and after more experience it will be something totally different.

Experience is an excellent educator.

They are giving me a 2 1/2 hr limit, I googled the address and thankfully its only 1200 sq. ft. Forgot to mention I cribbed basements for 2 seasons ( that was long enough).

I can't remember the last time I did an inspection in 2-1/2 hours.

My brother's house took me 2 1/2 hours. 1971 split level, timber framed roof, no attic, no basement, no crawl, 896SF.

The 2 1/2 hour limit says something about the guys who administer the test. Newbie's should have 4 hours at their disposal.

The first inspection I ever did was 12 hours[:-paperba

But it was a 'problem child'[;)]

My average after 12 years is 3 hours.

Marc

Thanks for all the tips so far, I do wish we had more time for inspection they also want the report handed in within 1 hr. of completing the inspection. When I get out there I plan on giving clients their report within 24 hrs. of completing inspection, just so I can get phrasing and flow of my report to my satisfaction.

An entire inspection including report delivery in 3 1/2 hours? Sounds like still yet another HI licensing board unfamiliar with the job.

Good luck. You'll do OK.

I'm still fascinated with the idea of standing in the same place for 1 1/2 hours, then moving somewhere else and standing there for another hour or so, moving....another hour, etc.

What's the client do when one stands in the same place for an hour?

An entire inspection including report delivery in 3 1/2 hours? Sounds like still yet another HI licensing board unfamiliar with the job.

Good luck. You'll do OK.

I'm still fascinated with the idea of standing in the same place for 1 1/2 hours, then moving somewhere else and standing there for another hour or so, moving....another hour, etc.

Makes sure there are no sharp objects in the vicinity.

. . . I'm still fascinated with the idea of standing in the same place for 1 1/2 hours, then moving somewhere else and standing there for another hour or so, moving....another hour, etc.

As you suspect, there's a story involved. A long story. I'll just share that it began when I noticed bats roosting on the other side of the window, *inside* the house. . .

What's the client to do? Talk and talk, and talk.

I can't remember the last time I did an inspection in 2-1/2 hours.

Me either,

I've gotten into the habit of telling people when they want to know how long it's going to take that I take at least four hours to do something the size of a VW, so they should expect it to take as long as it takes and no less.

When I get the protests from agents I just say, "Look, I have two speeds - slow and careful. It's a policy that's kept me out of trouble for nearly 19 years - I'm not changing the way I do things just because you don't like how much time it takes me to do an inspection."

Can't understand why so many of them turn all pink, purse their lips and look like their eyeballs are gonna rupture and spray stuff all over me.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike