Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We just moved into our house in August and when I went down to the basement to replace the humidifier water panel I found the cover on the floor. I'm assuming the inspector didn't put it back on correctly during the inspection. Since the system is in a little nook in the basement I never noticed the cover fell off (hindsight being 20/20, it explains the drastic temperature difference in the basement compared to the rest of the house). Anyways, I noticed what appears to be dirt or debris (hopefully not mold), in the duct near where the panel fell off. Would anybody who's reading this minding giving me their input as to what it could be? Thanks in advance!

http://picpaste.com/20151127_225956-ZeTiYoXB.jpg

http://picpaste.com/20151127_230037-xatxoQti.jpg

http://picpaste.com/20151130_210156-Zid3rHIK.jpg

http://picpaste.com/20151130_210216-wuDshtD3.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you mean there is always mold when there is a humidifier? Do you mean more so than the mold that is always everywhere around us? The humidifier hasn't been running since before we moved in (the water valve was shut off and it was set to "summer" mode). Part of my concern was trying to clean up what could be mold and making things worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just clean up whatever it is and get on with your life. Seriously.

Or, I can direct you to at least a dozen individuals who will insist you now have a Hazmat site and need to sterilize your house and they'll be glad to do it for you for a large fee.

Which one do you want to do?

Link to post
Share on other sites

When folks say 'mold', they mean mold growth. It grows from microscopic mold spores in the air. Mold spores have existed since long before we did. Not all mold growth is bad, that's a myth. Ever eat blue cheese before? Know where penicillin comes from?

I can't say for sure that the stuff is your picture is mold growth. Doesn't matter anyway, just do what Bill K said...clean it up.

Marc

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's probably dirt/dust. You probably noticed that most folks here are not afraid of mold. They rely on real medical facts - not newspapers, TV, mold testers, or mold hysterical websites.

Humidifiers usually do more harm than good. That nice warm moist air will always travel to the coldest place it can - basement corners, attics, north facing closets, windows - and condense. And yes, will cause MOLD!!!

Is mold the problem or is it warm moisture vapor easily traveling to cold places?

Link to post
Share on other sites

...microbiologists say that each of us is surrounded by thick clouds of microorganisms, that we trail long wakes of them with every move, and we exchange them with each other to either benefit or detriment, depending...

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015122113833_joebtfsplk.jpg

15.97 KB

Link to post
Share on other sites

...microbiologists say that each of us is surrounded by thick clouds of microorganisms, that we trail long wakes of them with every move, and we exchange them with each other to either benefit or detriment, depending...

mmmmmmm........microorganism exchange......aharagahahagaha............

Link to post
Share on other sites

We just moved into our house in August and when I went down to the basement to replace the humidifier water panel I found the cover on the floor. I'm assuming the inspector didn't put it back on correctly during the inspection. Since the system is in a little nook in the basement I never noticed the cover fell off (hindsight being 20/20, it explains the drastic temperature difference in the basement compared to the rest of the house). Anyways, I noticed what appears to be dirt or debris (hopefully not mold), in the duct near where the panel fell off. Would anybody who's reading this minding giving me their input as to what it could be? Thanks in advance!

http://picpaste.com/20151127_225956-ZeTiYoXB.jpg

http://picpaste.com/20151127_230037-xatxoQti.jpg

http://picpaste.com/20151130_210156-Zid3rHIK.jpg

http://picpaste.com/20151130_210216-wuDshtD3.jpg

Spray some hydrogen peroxide, the stuff that you buy at the drug store, on it and you will be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

...microbiologists say that each of us is surrounded by thick clouds of microorganisms, that we trail long wakes of them with every move, and we exchange them with each other to either benefit or detriment, depending...

We shed skin everywhere as well. That's how dogs can follow our trails.

If I was a dog owner, he'd be trained to sniff mould and he/she would make me rich.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah jeez, I miss Walter's contributions to this board and his columns. After I read my first one, I was hooked. I'd drive clear across Lexington just to pick up the Nashville Scene, read his column and then throw away the rest.

A story teller like none other.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...