TIJ Book Club?

Originally posted by Brad Manor

Like Bonnie, I'm good for about two books per week (unlike Bonnie, I'm not terribly profficient at identifying the mistakes). I gave up watching television about 7 years ago when I realized it was making me dumber - and since I'm already plenty dumb......

-Brad

I watch a small amount of TV but instead of parking myself in front of endless Law & Order episodes, I read.

I do like Discovery Channel and some of its forensics shows, though.

Do you guys get annoyed when I point out errors in your posts? Please be honest. I do it because it makes me feel better, and because I know you guys want to improve yourselves.

If you don't mind, Brad, which word did you spell wrong in this quoted post?

Originally posted by chicago

John why would you say you are to old to read?

I didnt mean to portray that I was too old to read. I was digging on my mis-spent youth. Had I applied myself better back then, I would be better off today.

We are never too old to read but sometimes we are too young to know any better.

Chad,

I "like" Bonnie!

Back to reading. I appreciate all the responses and was not surprised that many people read books other than technical stuff. When I told my wife about the responses, she immediately asked me if she would like "Crashing Through", my current suggestion. I realized that we don't talk about TV shows we watch, but here we are talking about a book. I am trading my latest book for her's "The Red Tent". She tells me it is the story of Ruth, from the Bible. I'll let you know if it is good.

Les, I believe Chad was expressing surprise that the state of marriage did not provide you with criticism in ample proportions.

As for books, I'd like to recommend I, Claudius and Claudius the God by Robert Graves. They're two of my favorites. They're very compelling and the writing is beautiful. Graves was primarily a poet.

I've also enjoyed Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin books. They're great fun and beautifully written.

-Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Bonnie Trenga

Originally posted by Les

Bonnie,

I rely on folks, like you, to offer the nectar of life - criticism!

Constructive criticism only, Les. No nagging. Will save that for my spouse.

You guys don't like nagging spouses?[;)]

I was just thinking about my nagging spouse. She provides me with a great training ground for mental fortitude. If I can handle her and keep a cool head, it's good practice for what I might have to deal with in public. Trust me, she holds no punches and will enter attack mode unannounced. It really keeps me on my toes. I have decided to incorporate her attitudes into my training regiment. Bring on the nagging spouses!!!

While it wont make you a better inspector (apart from being exposed to very good writing), if you want to pass some serious time this summer, try; The Civil War: A Narrative, by Shelby Foote. It is an amazing work.

American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson, byJoseph J. Ellis, is what I am reading now, and it is very good. While there are many good TJ bios, this one is different and deals with some of the apparent contradictions in TJ's public/private life. Highly recommended.

Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco is next in line. I have read it before and really enjoyed it. I think that I am better prepared to 'get' Eco and the historical references this time around, and it should be even better.

Speaking of influences by good writing, last summer I took a detour and blew through the classic Hemingway trio, "Farewell to Arms", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", and "The Sun Also Rises".

Each one is a story of keeping your eyes open and watching your back, albeit while not necessarily completely sober.

Sadly, I can't remember the last time I sat down to read a book purely for pleasure. Over the years I've put together an extensive collection of literary classics. I imagine that "some day" I'll sit in my rocking chair and start reading them. That day hasn't arrived yet -- I'm still consumed by what seems to be an endless thirst for knowledge.

My apologies to Les and others. Once again, I did what I so often chide others for - initiated totally unrelated thread drift. I couldn't split it, so I've pruned the thread and moved the off-topic posts to a new thread. You may now return to your book reading topic.

Oh yeah, lest I forget: Positively False, How I won the Tour de France by Floyd Landis. It'll never be a literary classic; heck, it's not even that well written, but if your a Tour fan you'll enjoy it. Once I started, I couldn't put it down till I'd finished it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...