test questions

I have this software program to study for the NHIE. I believe that the software has some of the answers wrong. I will use this thread to post the ones in question for scrutiny from the group.

Q; The mechanism that allows a toilet to flush is:

A. water pressure

B. electromagnetic fields

C. gravity

D. hydraulic pressure

Originally posted by AHI

I have this software program to study for the NHIE. I believe that the software has some of the answers wrong. I will use this thread to post the ones in question for scrutiny from the group.

A. water pressure

C. gravity

D. hydraulic pressure

Don't worry about it. You will not have a question like this on the NHIE. It has nothing to do with inspecting homes.

All the answers are wrong, or at least incomplete.

• Water enters the bowl from the rim holes and the jet.
  • The water is then forced through the trap to the vertical "passageway" at the back of the toilet.
  • When the passageway is full of water, it creates a vacuum.
  • The remaining water and waste in the bowl is then siphoned through the trap and passageway.

Originally posted by AHI

Pressure fills the tank. Gravity empties it.

BTW; Did you know that in the northern hemisphere the water swirls counter clockwise as it runs down the drain and in the southern hemisphere it goes clockwise? Or so I heard. I guess if you live on the equator it goes straight down. Who knows?

I tried to check that out when I was in New Zealand , but all the toilets I found were stainless steel monsters that made a big roar, and flushed straight down, no swirling......I tried to convince my wife that I should stay longer to figure out the "Mystery", but she made me set sail and come home as planned, almost.

Originally posted by AHI

A. water pressure

C. gravity

D. hydraulic pressure

Um, none of those things are mechanisms.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Um- Actually the term mechanism may apply in this case

Merriam -Webster Dictionary

Main Entry: mech•a•nism

Pronunciation: 'me-k&-"ni-z&m

Function: noun

1 a : a piece of machinery b : a process, technique, or system for achieving a result

Encarta Dictionary

Way that something works: the methods, procedures, or processes involved in the way something works or is done

John C

Originally posted by JohnC

Um- Actually the term mechanism may apply in this case

Merriam -Webster Dictionary

Main Entry: mech•a•nism

Pronunciation: 'me-k&-"ni-z&m

Function: noun

1 a : a piece of machinery b : a process, technique, or system for achieving a result

Encarta Dictionary

Way that something works: the methods, procedures, or processes involved in the way something works or is done

John C

None of that describes water pressure, EM fields, gravity or hydraulic pressure. These are not processes, techniques or systems. Nor are they methods or procedures.

Nobody says, "I fell down because of the mechanism of gravity."

- Jim Katen, Oregon

In the Boston area, the local 12 (union)guys have explained the fine art of plumbing.

1. Hot goes on the left

2. S**t flows downhill

3. Payday is Friday

None of my buyers are interested in the philosophy of toilets. They want to know if it works when you flip the little thingy or the button. Any further heavy discussion will usually end with a referral to a license.[:-banghea