peeling off the vapor barrier

John Dirks Jr

A friend of mine wants to add insulation to his attic that already has some up there. He needs the batts without the vapor barrier but he said they are more expensive than the ones with the vapor barrier.

Would peeling the vapor barrier off of the less expensive batts be a viable option? Have any of you ever tried this?

I had leftover R25 batts when I did my attic and I split them down the middle to add extra coverage in my attic. It wasn't a big deal really.

I know it would be time consuming to carefully remove the backings but is there a technical reason why it should not be done?

He cliams he can get R30 with backing cheaper than R25 without.

A few years ago I added more attic insulation in some knee wall spaces, and I remember getting some Owens Corning fiberglass insulation that was encased in a plastic that allowed air to pass through it, so you could add it on top of existing insulation. It was very easy to apply as well. I didn't see it listed on their web site, maybe they don't make it anymore.

Originally posted by Ken Meyer

A few years ago I added more attic insulation in some knee wall spaces, and I remember getting some Owens Corning fiberglass insulation that was encased in a plastic that allowed air to pass through it, so you could add it on top of existing insulation. It was very easy to apply as well. I didn't see it listed on their web site, maybe they don't make it anymore.

Good idea but I bet the stuff you mention is even more expensive at that. Cost is the main factor. The goal is to keep it as low as possible. The extra labor is not a problem since he is doing it himself.

I had to take a trip to Lowe's today so I made note to take a look at the insulation. I just left Lowe's and the price difference for insulation without Kraft paper backing was right at $3 per roll. Sorry, I can't see that it would be that great of savings when you compare the time and labor involved in removing it or slice and dicing it! At 20 rolls you would save only $60. I bet you can even find it cheaper.

Originally posted by AHI

A friend of mine wants to add insulation to his attic that already has some up there. He needs the batts without the vapor barrier but he said they are more expensive than the ones with the vapor barrier.

Would peeling the vapor barrier off of the less expensive batts be a viable option? Have any of you ever tried this?

I had leftover R25 batts when I did my attic and I split them down the middle to add extra coverage in my attic. It wasn't a big deal really.

I know it would be time consuming to carefully remove the backings but is there a technical reason why it should not be done?

He cliams he can get R30 with backing cheaper than R25 without.

I'd just hire someone to blow it in. Saving $50 just wouldn't be worth it to me.

That said, I've had occasion to peel the paper off of batts and I found that the fastest, easiest, and least wasteful way was to lay the batt paper side down on a work surface and use a machete to skin it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon