Oh Lordy

ozofprev

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad, I don't think your response was the one Mike was referring to. Anyway, I don't care about *that* topic, it's the SCIENCE I'm concerned about. Nothing has a right to interfere with rational thought - which is what science is.

...the student’s incorrect response would be deemed satisfactory, according to this bill.

This isn't delicate, it's stupid. Science questions demand rational answers. It's ok to be wrong. A person can learn to correct a physics/math/science mistake - but only if there is a rational path. Concrete, wood and steel have physical properties that are predictable by scientific methods in the language of mathematics. If someone who can't handle the science provides an "alternative" answer - and by law gets full credit - then education fails. The student will be shocked when he gets to college and tries such a stunt.

Funny how "certain" topics can be inflammatory or just can't be talked about.

For what its worth I don't think religion (in any form) has any place in public schools. If yo want religion in school go to a private school where it can be taught.

My kids go to public schools.

True! It's always been, "Don't talk about religion and politics." They are irrational topics that feed on people's emotions. And it's no wonder they are gelling into one big mess these days. (I'm not gellin') I'm currently halfway through a book titled, "Lord, Save Us from Your Followers."

I think Mike O is right in not allowing irrational topics to be discussed here, which is why I concentrate entirely on the science. If steroids were interfering with science, I might have titled the thread, "Clemens-time."

If this were 1897, I'm sure I would be somewhere standing up against Indiana politicians - fighting THIS.

And regarding Einstein,

Isaacson’s biography of Albert Einstein is very good. Einstein clearly rejected the Biblical God. He was also a man who wanted nothing more than peace and kindness for the world. The atom bomb, and its picturesque mushroom, managed to blur that fact a bit.

I am a deeply religious nonbeliever. A.E.

In the article they mention the material being tested on as theory.

Theory is not fact.

They say a student would be able to insert religious belief in place of theory and not have it marked against them.

Beliefs of any kind are not necessarily facts either.

So who is the public school to support a certain non-factual idea and suppress another?

Schools should be teaching children how to think, not what to to think.

There is way too much doctrine based on political agenda being crammed into the little minds of mush. This needs to be challenged.

It's not stupid. The legislation is worth a try.

Originally posted by AHI

In the article they mention the material being tested on as theory.

Theory is not fact.

It gets a lot more complicated than that. We laymen normally take a theory to be an idea that has no proof behind it (at least yet). The word "theory" as used in science means a particular body of ideas, rules, etc. regarding a specific subject. A great deal of science is called "theory", but is hard fact in practice; the parts that have been empirically proven. Gravity is a theory. These theories are subject to correction, minor or great, and expansion as science builds knowledge. So while they aren't always treated as quite "carved in stone", they can accurately describe reality just the same.

The example mentioned in the article was the age of the earth. The sum of all relevent sciences on the subject has it at something like 4 1/2 billion years. The most popular religion in this country puts it about 6,000 years. Helluva gap in theories. Science may eventually find they're off some one way or the other, but not that much.

These really are bad topics for a peaceful board.

Brian G.

"The Bible tells us how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go."

Pope Something-or-Other (can't remember which one) [:-magnify

I'm neither hear nor there on the matter, seriously. Personally, me myself and I, do not feel comfortable with my own ideas until I give the opposing views consideration. Only then can I give real meaning to what I believe.

There is a great deal I do not know, and probably never will. I think that discussing differences in a respectful way is a good exercise. It teaches people how to think. Ignoring things is simply that, ignorant.